[Jack-Devel] homepage(s) and download links

[Jack-Devel] homepage(s) and download links

IOhannes m zmölnig
hi,

could somebody please clarify why there are two homepages
http://jackaudio.org and http://jackaudio.github.io which look very much
the same but will provide *slightly* different content?

it also seems that the github.io page is *slightly* more up-to-date,
since a few broken downloads (found on jackaudio.org) have been fixed.
this is a bit unfortunate, since pretty all documentation links to
jackaudio.org.
"luckily" there are still plenty of dead links even on the github.io
page, so the difference is not too big¹.

could the powers that be pretty please make the two pages the same same
(e.g. by redirecting jackaudio.org to the github.io page) or turn down
one of them?

also: why on earth would anybody use dropbox as a CDN/filehoster for
software downloads of a free software project?
what is wrong with github releases (since the software is hosted on
github anyhow)?
or host them directly on jackaudio.org?

could the powers that be pretty please wade through all the links in the
download section and make sure that they are accessible?

i think the current state is a real disservice to the project (at
least for all those users who cannot just emerge/yum/apt install JACK),
which might explain the slightly sarcastic tone.

gmasrd
IOhannes

¹ reminder to self: get out of sarcasm mode asap.

Re: homepage(s) and download links

Jörn Nettingsmeier-5
On 05/04/2017 02:20 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
<..>
> i think the current state is a real disservice to the project (at
> least for all those users who cannot just emerge/yum/apt install JACK),
> which might explain the slightly sarcastic tone.
>
> gmasrd
> IOhannes
>
> ¹ reminder to self: get out of sarcasm mode asap.

+1

I also think this dropbox stuff for osx is extremely weird - I never
cared until I got myself a used macbook for professional reasons, but it
feels ominous...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net

Re: homepage(s) and download links

Jeffrey Long
I couldn't agree more. I posted a message to asking about the download links on April 12. Nobody ever responded to me.

In the meantime, I just checked, and those bad dropbox links still exist on the jack website.

Really guys?

Since I and others have inquired about the download links, you guys have wasted no time answering someone's query's about using a Macbook with the latest MacOS.

With all due respect, this project is a joke -- plus, once I finally did manage to find the download links and install it, it didn't work on my system (W7 64 bit). I wouldn't dream of even attempting to get help on this list.

Again, what a joke: this is the reason open source software will never catch on. You guys just don't care.

Jeffrey Long

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 5:19 AM, Jörn Nettingsmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/04/2017 02:20 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
<..>
i think the current state is a real disservice to the project (at
least for all those users who cannot just emerge/yum/apt install JACK),
which might explain the slightly sarcastic tone.

gmasrd
IOhannes

¹ reminder to self: get out of sarcasm mode asap.

+1

I also think this dropbox stuff for osx is extremely weird - I never cared until I got myself a used macbook for professional reasons, but it feels ominous...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland
Tel. <a href="tel:%2B49%20177%207937487" value="+491777937487" target="_blank">+49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net

Re: homepage(s) and download links

Kjetil Matheussen-2

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 9:42 PM, Jeffrey Long <[hidden email]> wrote:
I couldn't agree more. I posted a message to asking about the download links on April 12. Nobody ever responded to me.

In the meantime, I just checked, and those bad dropbox links still exist on the jack website.

Really guys?

Since I and others have inquired about the download links, you guys have wasted no time answering someone's query's about using a Macbook with the latest MacOS.

I guess the reason no one replying to you is that this question have been asked and answered many many times already. A quick google search would have given you the answer.

With all due respect, this project is a joke -- plus, once I finally did manage to find the download links and install it, it didn't work on my system (W7 64 bit). I wouldn't dream of even attempting to get help on this list.

Again, what a joke: this is the reason open source software will never catch on. You guys just don't care.

I think you would most certainly got help if you had asked. The trouble with the home page of jack does not extend to the community of jack users. I don't know what the thing is with the home page, but it seems like no one owns it anymore (that might not be the actual reason though, it just looks that way).

Re: homepage(s) and download links

Chad Cassady
Well, uh... Do you guys need some like, volunteer web/file hosting? Depending on the costs, I got a linode I could contribute. Is it a resources thing or an organizational thing? Does somebody just need to step up? Cuz I will. I owe my entire tech career to trying to make music with open source. It's how/why I learned to sysadmin and later code. It would be personally meaningful to me if I could lend a hand.

Been watching this and related threads for awhile.

Chad

On May 5, 2017 2:53 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ralf Mardorf
On Fri, 5 May 2017 21:53:27 +0200, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
>I guess the reason no one replying to you is that this question have
>been asked and answered many many times already. A quick google search
>would have given you the answer.

Hi,

the mailing list archive is closed, so you need to log in and use the
archive's search. The archive's search returns

"ht://Dig error

htsearch detected an error. Please report this to the webmaster of this
site by sending an e-mail to: [hidden email]
The error message is:

Unable to read word database file
'/dh/mailman/foreach/archives/private/jack-devel-jackaudio.org/htdig/db.words.db'
Did you run htdig?"

or it continues with a never ending search.

However, the search isn't really needed, just taking a look at the
subjects of the mails send to the list within the last month, mainly
shows threads about the link issue. It would have been smart, if
somebody would have added a "[solved]" when replying to a reply
providing a working link ;).

Regards,
Ralf