[Jack-Devel] jack2 ASIO & autostart

Robin Gareus
Hi Stephane. Hi jack2-devs.

In a recent foray into the windows-world, I noticed that that when
installing jack2, it registers JackRouter.dll ASIO dll. So far so good.

When starting some ASIO application that scans for available devices and
if jackd is not running, JackRouter.dll tries to launch jackd during
ASIO device scan. Not good.

jackd's auto-start timeout is about 1 min which makes this rather
unusable. See http://pastebin.com/Jug8HqdF for a complete log.
It takes twice that time if ASIO4all is installed which probes
JackRouter again.

Here, jackd auto-start fails because jackd on win7 64bit installs itself
to C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\jackd.exe (note the x86) -- but even if
jackd autostart is made to work, jackd blocks the device which one may
want to use directly with ASIO and causes further issues...

Current workaround: start jackd with the dummy backend before launching
an ASIO app, or uninstall jack.

Proposed solution: use JackNoStartServer in JackRouter (patch attached).

ciao,
robin

jack2_asio_noautostart.diff (822 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: jack2 ASIO & autostart

Stéphane Letz
Makes sense, patch applied on GIT.

New binaries at some point...

Stéphane

Le 4 oct. 2014 à 23:48, Robin Gareus <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Stephane. Hi jack2-devs.
>
> In a recent foray into the windows-world, I noticed that that when
> installing jack2, it registers JackRouter.dll ASIO dll. So far so good.
>
> When starting some ASIO application that scans for available devices and
> if jackd is not running, JackRouter.dll tries to launch jackd during
> ASIO device scan. Not good.
>
> jackd's auto-start timeout is about 1 min which makes this rather
> unusable. See http://pastebin.com/Jug8HqdF for a complete log.
> It takes twice that time if ASIO4all is installed which probes
> JackRouter again.
>
> Here, jackd auto-start fails because jackd on win7 64bit installs itself
> to C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\jackd.exe (note the x86) -- but even if
> jackd autostart is made to work, jackd blocks the device which one may
> want to use directly with ASIO and causes further issues...
>
> Current workaround: start jackd with the dummy backend before launching
> an ASIO app, or uninstall jack.
>
> Proposed solution: use JackNoStartServer in JackRouter (patch attached).
>
> ciao,
> robin
> <jack2_asio_noautostart.diff>_______________________________________________

Re: jack2 ASIO & autostart

Version 1.9.11 with new JackRouter.dll version to test :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28869550/Jack_v1.9.11_32_setup.exe

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28869550/Jack_v1.9.11_64_setup.exe

Stéphane

Le 4 oct. 2014 à 23:48, Robin Gareus <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Stephane. Hi jack2-devs.
>
> In a recent foray into the windows-world, I noticed that that when
> installing jack2, it registers JackRouter.dll ASIO dll. So far so good.
>
> When starting some ASIO application that scans for available devices and
> if jackd is not running, JackRouter.dll tries to launch jackd during
> ASIO device scan. Not good.
>
> jackd's auto-start timeout is about 1 min which makes this rather
> unusable. See http://pastebin.com/Jug8HqdF for a complete log.
> It takes twice that time if ASIO4all is installed which probes
> JackRouter again.
>
> Here, jackd auto-start fails because jackd on win7 64bit installs itself
> to C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\jackd.exe (note the x86) -- but even if
> jackd autostart is made to work, jackd blocks the device which one may
> want to use directly with ASIO and causes further issues...
>
> Current workaround: start jackd with the dummy backend before launching
> an ASIO app, or uninstall jack.
>
> Proposed solution: use JackNoStartServer in JackRouter (patch attached).
>
> ciao,
> robin
> <jack2_asio_noautostart.diff>_______________________________________________

Re: jack2 ASIO & autostart

Robin Gareus
Hi Stéphane,

I tested the 32bit version. JACK works fine as usual.
The ASIO JackRouter still needs 3-5 sec to probe but that's OK.

Many thanks for the quick turnaround.
Cheers!
robin

On 10/06/2014 05:36 PM, Stéphane Letz wrote:

> Version 1.9.11 with new JackRouter.dll version to test :
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28869550/Jack_v1.9.11_32_setup.exe
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28869550/Jack_v1.9.11_64_setup.exe
>
> Stéphane
>

> Le 4 oct. 2014 à 23:48, Robin Gareus <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Stephane. Hi jack2-devs.
>>
>> In a recent foray into the windows-world, I noticed that that when
>> installing jack2, it registers JackRouter.dll ASIO dll. So far so good.
>>
>> When starting some ASIO application that scans for available devices and
>> if jackd is not running, JackRouter.dll tries to launch jackd during
>> ASIO device scan. Not good.
>>
>> jackd's auto-start timeout is about 1 min which makes this rather
>> unusable. See http://pastebin.com/Jug8HqdF for a complete log.
>> It takes twice that time if ASIO4all is installed which probes
>> JackRouter again.
>>
>> Here, jackd auto-start fails because jackd on win7 64bit installs itself
>> to C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\jackd.exe (note the x86) -- but even if
>> jackd autostart is made to work, jackd blocks the device which one may
>> want to use directly with ASIO and causes further issues...
>>
>> Current workaround: start jackd with the dummy backend before launching
>> an ASIO app, or uninstall jack.
>>
>> Proposed solution: use JackNoStartServer in JackRouter (patch attached).
>>
>> ciao,
>> robin
>> <jack2_asio_noautostart.diff>_______________________________________________
>> Jack-Devel mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org

Robin Gareus, 105 Rue de l'Ourcq, 75019 Paris, http://gareus.org

Public Key at http://pgp.mit.edu/
Fingerprint: 7107 840B 4DC9 C948 076D 6359 7955 24F1 4F95 2B42

Re: jack2 ASIO & autostart

Stéphane Letz

Le 6 oct. 2014 à 17:54, Robin Gareus <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Stéphane,
>
> I tested the 32bit version. JACK works fine as usual.
> The ASIO JackRouter still needs 3-5 sec to probe but that's OK.

I guess this the ASIO probing code itself? What card are you using? Does it depends of the card you're probing?

> Many thanks for the quick turnaround.
> Cheers!
> robin

Stéphane

Re: jack2 ASIO & autostart

Robin Gareus
On 10/06/2014 07:38 PM, Stéphane Letz wrote:

> Le 6 oct. 2014 à 17:54, Robin Gareus <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Stéphane,
>>
>> I tested the 32bit version. JACK works fine as usual.
>> The ASIO JackRouter still needs 3-5 sec to probe but that's OK.
>
> I guess this the ASIO probing code itself? What card are you using? Does it depends of the card you're probing?

That's still the jack cannot connect to server messages scrolling by,
even without jack autostart it tries 3 times.

best,
robin