[Jack-Devel] jackdmp 1.9.10 on debian/sid refuse to start with --unlock

[Jack-Devel] jackdmp 1.9.10 on debian/sid refuse to start with --unlock

Hermann Meyer
Hi

I've just upgraded my debian/sid system, that include a jackdmp update to version 1.9.10 (from 1.9.8)
Usually I use the -u option --unlock, but now jackd refuse to start with that option enabled. It say's
 unknown option character

I just wonder, is the -u --unlock commandline option removed from jackdmp 1.9.10?
If so, is there a special reason for that?
Or is it debian specific?
However, the -u option is still mention in the debian man page, so there is at least a bug somewhere which needs to be addressed and solved.

greets
hermann

Re: jackdmp 1.9.10 on debian/sid refuse to start with --unlock

Stéphane Letz
AFAIR --unlock was never really implemented in jack2

Stéphane

Am 17.07.2013 14:38, schrieb Stéphane Letz:
> AFAIR --unlock was never really implemented in jack2
>
> Stéphane

not a big deal for me, but I could imagine that it should lead to a
couple of confusions in the next time.
There is the "unlock" option in the qjackctl settings widget, which, if
checked, now leads to "can not connect to server".

greets
hermann

> Le 17 juil. 2013 à 13:45, hermann meyer <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>> Hi
>>
>> I've just upgraded my debian/sid system, that include a jackdmp update to version 1.9.10 (from 1.9.8)
>> Usually I use the -u option --unlock, but now jackd refuse to start with that option enabled. It say's
>>   unknown option character
>>
>> I just wonder, is the -u --unlock commandline option removed from jackdmp 1.9.10?
>> If so, is there a special reason for that?
>> Or is it debian specific?
>> However, the -u option is still mention in the debian man page, so there is at least a bug somewhere which needs to be addressed and solved.
>>
>> greets
>> hermann

Re: jackdmp 1.9.10 on debian/sid refuse to start with --unlock

Brendan Jones-2
On 07/17/2013 05:18 PM, hermann meyer wrote:

> Am 17.07.2013 14:38, schrieb Stéphane Letz:
>> AFAIR --unlock was never really implemented in jack2
>>
>> Stéphane
>

> not a big deal for me, but I could imagine that it should lead to a
> couple of confusions in the next time.
> There is the "unlock" option in the qjackctl settings widget, which, if
> checked, now leads to "can not connect to server".
>
> greets
> hermann
Removed in this commit I think:

https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/commit/50e793e74ee2f47d7c5bed7d96171ef51a8d564b

Re: jackdmp 1.9.10 on debian/sid refuse to start with --unlock

Provide a restore patch

Stéphane

On 07/17/2013 08:51 PM, Stéphane Letz wrote:
> Provide a restore patch
>
> Stéphane

Sure

regards,

Brendan

jack2-reinstate-mlock-parms.patch (1024 bytes) Download Attachment

Le 18 juil. 2013 à 07:13, Brendan Jones <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> <jack2-reinstate-mlock-parms.patch>

Thanks, pushed on GIT.

Stéphane

Re: jackdmp 1.9.10 on debian/sid refuse to start with --unlock

Pawel
Dnia Czwartek, 18 Lipca 2013 07:41 Stéphane Letz <[hidden email]> napisał(a)

> Le 18 juil. 2013 ? 07:13, Brendan Jones <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > <jack2-reinstate-mlock-parms.patch>
>

> Thanks, pushed on GIT.

Will be best if you can also push this patch to GIT  - it improve two areas:
- precisely calculate ticks between cycles
- fixed problem with low tempos
- bbt_offset support

it's for transport.c - example jack client ;-)

P.

> Stéphane

=?iso-8859-2?B?eGpfdHJhbnNwb3J0Mi5wYXRjaA==?= (3K) Download Attachment

Re: jackdmp 1.9.10 on debian/sid refuse to start with --unlock

J. Liles

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Stéphane Letz <[hidden email]> wrote:
AFAIR --unlock was never really implemented in jack2

Stéphane

Le 17 juil. 2013 à 13:45, hermann meyer <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I've just upgraded my debian/sid system, that include a jackdmp update to version 1.9.10 (from 1.9.8)
> Usually I use the -u option --unlock, but now jackd refuse to start with that option enabled. It say's
>  unknown option character
>
> I just wonder, is the -u --unlock commandline option removed from jackdmp 1.9.10?
> If so, is there a special reason for that?
> Or is it debian specific?
> However, the -u option is still mention in the debian man page, so there is at least a bug somewhere which needs to be addressed and solved.
>
> greets
> hermann

Say again? Does this mean that jack2 mlocks the entire process memory, including giant GUI libraries like QT and GTK? Or is some other mechanism in place? Are clients perhaps expected to lock their own critical memory in JACK2? If so, I think that's a reasonable, but people certainly need to be made aware of it--maybe the JACK API should even include a wrapper function for the purpose.

Re: jackdmp 1.9.10 on debian/sid refuse to start with --unlock

Paul Davis

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:31 PM, J. Liles <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Stéphane Letz <[hidden email]> wrote:
AFAIR --unlock was never really implemented in jack2

Stéphane

Le 17 juil. 2013 à 13:45, hermann meyer <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I've just upgraded my debian/sid system, that include a jackdmp update to version 1.9.10 (from 1.9.8)
> Usually I use the -u option --unlock, but now jackd refuse to start with that option enabled. It say's
>  unknown option character
>
> I just wonder, is the -u --unlock commandline option removed from jackdmp 1.9.10?
> If so, is there a special reason for that?
> Or is it debian specific?
> However, the -u option is still mention in the debian man page, so there is at least a bug somewhere which needs to be addressed and solved.
>
> greets
> hermann

Say again? Does this mean that jack2 mlocks the entire process memory, including giant GUI libraries like QT and GTK?

jack1 has a whitelist of things to not lock. i thought that jack2 had inherited this. my recollection is that the lock/unlock option only affects the global question "do i pin memory to physical RAM". even if it is turned on, libjack will try (certainly for jack1 and probably for jack2) to unlock stuff related to X and GUIs.

note that unix provides no clean way to do this, so don't expect to be impressed by the way this is implemented.

Or is some other mechanism in place? Are clients perhaps expected to lock their own critical memory in JACK2?

from what i could see of the original change, it almost appeared accidental that the lock/unlock options were removed, because none of the implementation was modified. there has certainly never been an expectation that the client should take care of this.