[Jack-Devel] m-audio FastTrack Ultra 8R no playback with hw device

[Jack-Devel] m-audio FastTrack Ultra 8R no playback with hw device

Niko Efthymiou
Hi everyone,

I've been using the M-Audio FastTrack Ultra 8R with jack for a while
now and everything works fine with the plughw alsa device, but playback
does not work with the hw interface.

This is what I get when starting jack:

$ jackd -d alsa -d hw:2  -r 44100
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2013 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
creating alsa driver ... hw:2|hw:2|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 24bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 24bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

Nothing suspicious here.

$ file test.wav
test.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, mono 44100 Hz

$ mplayer -ao jack test.wav

No sound.

The wave file has the right sampling rate and works fine with another
audio interface. I also tried varius other sampling rates and
parameters. None worked.

Am I missing something? Any ideas?

Greets Niko
--
pgp key 1135E434

Re: m-audio FastTrack Ultra 8R no playback with hw device

Niko Efthymiou
On 22.04.2013 20:21, Niko Efthymiou wrote:
> Am I missing something? Any ideas?

Let me restate that question. Is anyone using the M-Audio FastTrack
successfully with the alsa hw interface? If so, what parameters are you
using for jackd?

Greets Niko

--
pgp key 1135E434

Re: m-audio FastTrack Ultra 8R no playback with hw device

John Rigg-16
On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 03:37:32PM +0200, Niko Efthymiou wrote:
> On 22.04.2013 20:21, Niko Efthymiou wrote:
> > Am I missing something? Any ideas?
>
> Let me restate that question. Is anyone using the M-Audio FastTrack
> successfully with the alsa hw interface? If so, what parameters are you
> using for jackd?

I haven't used the FastTrack, but there are things you could check.
Is hw:2 definitely the correct device?

John

On 01.05.2013 21:54, John Rigg wrote:

> I haven't used the FastTrack, but there are things you could check.
> Is hw:2 definitely the correct device?

Yes hw:2 is the correct device and it works fine with plughw. Capture
with hw:2 and playback oh plughw:2 works. It is just playback on hw:2
that does not work.

Niko
--
pgp key 1135E434

Re: m-audio FastTrack Ultra 8R no playback with hw device

Felix Homann-2
Right now my configuration is this:

/usr/bin/jackd -v -dalsa -r44100 -p256 -n2 -D -Chw:1 -Phw:1

But I'm actually using all kinds of values for -r and -p and sometimes use -n3.

I'm currently running jackd from Fedoras jack-audio-connection-kit package.

jackd --version
jackdmp 1.9.9.5

But I also got it working on a Raspberry Pi running in Raspian. Until recently I had one machine still running on Kubuntu without any problem with regard to Jack/Fast Track Ultra.

I've been involved in the Alsa modifications to get the Fast Track Ultra series working on Linux so I've tested many, many Kernel/Distro/jack combinations in the last 2 years. I have not had any problem to play back *through Jack* for a very long time (that is, if I managed to get pulseaudio out of the way...).

I still think that there's probably something wrong with mplayer use of Jack. But I can't confirm since the version of mplayer on my machines doesn't even know about Jack. Maybe you should test with another program. (E. g. I like to test my Jack setups with the Hydrogen drum machine.)

Regards,

Felix

Re: m-audio FastTrack Ultra 8R no playback with hw device

Florian Faber-2
Felix!

> I still think that there's probably something wrong with mplayer use of Jack.

That doesn't make sense. Either IO is possible through jack, or it is not.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key 8D073185          x-hkp://subkeys.pgp.net

On 02.05.2013 09:27, Felix Homann wrote:
> usr/bin/jackd -v -dalsa -r44100 -p256 -n2 -D -Chw:1 -Phw:1

Thats what I am using...

> I still think that there's probably something wrong with mplayer use of
> Jack. But I can't confirm since the version of mplayer on my machines
> doesn't even know about Jack. Maybe you should test with another
> program. (E. g. I like to test my Jack setups with the Hydrogen drum
> machine.)

Ardour 3, hydrogen and every other jack client show exactly the same
symptoms. So I would exclude mplayer as the source of the problem.

I suspect it has to do with the parameter selection that jack does at
startup. i.e. you can't specify the format.

Also it did work once with some kernel/jack1 combination, but
unfortunately I can't remember which versions. I tried some of the last
jack1 versions and kernels 3.5.6 through 3.9.0...

Niko

--
pgp key 1135E434

Re: m-audio FastTrack Ultra 8R no playback with hw device

Florian Paul Schmidt-2
On 02.05.2013 00:17, Niko Efthymiou wrote:
On 01.05.2013 21:54, John Rigg wrote:

I haven't used the FastTrack, but there are things you could check.
Is hw:2 definitely the correct device?
Yes hw:2 is the correct device and it works fine with plughw. Capture
with hw:2 and playback oh plughw:2 works. It is just playback on hw:2
that does not work.

Niko

Hi,

maybe it's a routing problem. The interface looks interesting, so I did a few google searches and this turned up wrt. the routing:

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7673

Quote (Heikki Ketoharju):

"I used Gnome Alsamixer in AV Linux and alsamixer in Ubuntu. Both tools work similar, so you can use what suits best to you. (Alsamixer is command line software, so open your terminal, type alsamixer and press enter.

When you have alsamixer opened, you should first choose right soundcard. This is done by pressing F6, in command line version, Gnome Alsamixer has separate tabs for different soundcards. After that you should see about 128 faders. Those control the internal routing.

Now, if you are using Gnome Alsamixer, first thing you should do is rename all the 128 faders. (At least I had to, because all faders had same names in GUI) This is quite boring job to do, but once you do it, Gnome Alsamixer remembers it's settings. If you decide to use alsamixer, you don't have to do this.

First 64 faders describe inputs, and last 64 describe outputs. Faders are in the groups of eight. (In commandline version of alsamixer you have to press F5 to see all 128 faders. By default it shows only input faders.) Now you just have to adjust most of the faders to zero (in cli alsamixer this is done by pressing end). PageDown and PageUp buttons can be used to adjust fader's volume. I adjusted DIn1 - Out1 to 100 and all other DIn1 outputs to zero, DIn2 - Out2 to 100 and all other DIn2 outputs to zero, and so on. The end result was just 8 outputs being open: every software return channel was routed to one physical output. Nice!

When you are ready, you should save your mixer settings so that your computer remembers them after boot. I did it from the command line by running
Code: <a href="http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&amp;t=7673#" onclick="selectCode(this); return false;">Select all
alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state store
as root.

If you are using Ubuntu, running things as root is done via sudo. So the right command for you is
Code: <a href="http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&amp;t=7673#" onclick="selectCode(this); return false;">Select all
sudo alsactl -f /var/lib/alsa/asound.state store

If you don't want to save your settings as root, you can also save them to your home folder like this:
Code: <a href="http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&amp;t=7673#" onclick="selectCode(this); return false;">Select all
alsactl store -f ~/.asoundrc

And to restore your saved settings:
Code: <a href="http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&amp;t=7673#" onclick="selectCode(this); return false;">Select all
alsactl restore -f ~/.asoundrc

This way I got my Fast Track Ultra to work properly. Now I can use cueing function in Mixxx and start serious DJ:ing!

Oh, almost forgot: I really haven't tested inputs yet, so I don't know if the same method works for them also. I routed them same way: AIn1 - Out1 to 100 and other AIn1 outputs to zero, and so on. I'll test it someday and update how it works."

Have fun,
Flo