[Jack-Devel] netjack2 on cygwin

Matt Flax
Hi there,

I am trying to compile jack2 netjack on cygwin.

After manually compileing celt and opus, I am now having troubles with
standard compilation in the windows directory ... and other stuff.

For example the JackAtomic asm stuff is troublesome !

Has anyone managed to compile netjack for cygwin ?

thanks
Matt

Re: netjack2 on cygwin

Stéphane Letz
1) Any reason not to use the distributed binaries?

2) Have you tried to use the "waf" based compilation system that is supposed to work to compile jack2 with mingw?

Stéphane

Le 9 oct. 2014 à 06:42, Matt Flax <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to compile jack2 netjack on cygwin.
>
> After manually compileing celt and opus, I am now having troubles with standard compilation in the windows directory ... and other stuff.
>
> For example the JackAtomic asm stuff is troublesome !
>
> Has anyone managed to compile netjack for cygwin ?
>
> thanks
> Matt

Re: netjack2 on cygwin

Matt Flax
I tried a rough compile of code against the distributed binaries.
I couldn't get the linker to understand the static .lib files.
I think that the distributed binaries are not compiled with the same
compiler which is distributed with cygwin. For that reason linkage problems.

Using waf requires some fiddling ... first of all, waf detects cygwin as
a CYGWIN platform and with some fiddling of the wscript, it is possible
to get it to recognise it as windows.

I tried two different ways of compiling. Once as a posix system which
clearly didn't work as some fundamental system level functions just
aren't available in the cygwin libc system.
The other way I tried was as a windows system, however the cygwin
compiler couldn't understand the asm code. It simply couldn't compile it.

Matt

On 09/10/14 23:22, Stéphane Letz wrote:

> 1) Any reason not to use the distributed binaries?
>
> 2) Have you tried to use the "waf" based compilation system that is supposed to work to compile jack2 with mingw?
>
> Stéphane
>

> Le 9 oct. 2014 à 06:42, Matt Flax <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am trying to compile jack2 netjack on cygwin.
>>
>> After manually compileing celt and opus, I am now having troubles with standard compilation in the windows directory ... and other stuff.
>>
>> For example the JackAtomic asm stuff is troublesome !
>>
>> Has anyone managed to compile netjack for cygwin ?
>>
>> thanks
>> Matt

Re: netjack2 on cygwin

Matt Flax
I now have jack compiling under cygwin.

I have started debugging.
I am getting problems with something as innocent as the following
(JackControlAPI.cpp):
jackctl_add_driver_parameters( ...){
        switch (descriptor_ptr->type)
         {
         case JackDriverParamUInt:
             jackctl_type = JackParamUInt;     <==== segfault here

JackParamUInt is nothing other then an enum.
jackctl_type is of the same type.

Any ideas ?

Matt

On 10/10/14 15:35, Matt Flax wrote:

> I tried a rough compile of code against the distributed binaries.
> I couldn't get the linker to understand the static .lib files.
> I think that the distributed binaries are not compiled with the same
> compiler which is distributed with cygwin. For that reason linkage
> problems.
>
> Using waf requires some fiddling ... first of all, waf detects cygwin
> as a CYGWIN platform and with some fiddling of the wscript, it is
> possible to get it to recognise it as windows.
>
> I tried two different ways of compiling. Once as a posix system which
> clearly didn't work as some fundamental system level functions just
> aren't available in the cygwin libc system.
> The other way I tried was as a windows system, however the cygwin
> compiler couldn't understand the asm code. It simply couldn't compile it.
>
> Matt
>
> On 09/10/14 23:22, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>> 1) Any reason not to use the distributed binaries?
>>
>> 2) Have you tried to use the "waf" based compilation system that is
>> supposed to work to compile jack2 with mingw?
>>
>> Stéphane
>>

>> Le 9 oct. 2014 à 06:42, Matt Flax <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I am trying to compile jack2 netjack on cygwin.
>>>
>>> After manually compileing celt and opus, I am now having troubles
>>> with standard compilation in the windows directory ... and other stuff.
>>>
>>> For example the JackAtomic asm stuff is troublesome !
>>>
>>> Has anyone managed to compile netjack for cygwin ?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> Matt

Re: netjack2 on cygwin

Matt Flax
Still debugging ... looking for ideas/help...

I can now run the cygwin jackd server ... trying to run with just the
dummy backend.

When I run, the system is hanging in JackClientSocket::Connect.
The hang point is the socket connect call.

I have checked with the firewall down and the same problem.

To get this system running I had to enable the cygserver service to
bring up the shm and other unix related software systems.

Is it possible that a server thread isn't listening ?

Matt