[Jack-Devel] virtual Microphone?

Andres Santos
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if with jack I could create a virtual microphone to use, I have a hosted server which obviously doesnt have sound card, and I would like to stream sound via network to the server and process it using some python packages, for that my script fails because it looks for the sound card, and I would like to setup a virtual microphone to feed my application, is this possible?

Greetings

Re: virtual Microphone?

Sunset Tech
believe you could use netjack, have the virtual server connect to the jack server on your local machine, which will be synchronized to your local sound device. though your specific network circumstances might be an issue for it. there are i believe other solutions like netjack which are better suited to WAN connections

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019, 2:29 PM Andres Santos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if with jack I could create a virtual microphone to use, I have a hosted server which obviously doesnt have sound card, and I would like to stream sound via network to the server and process it using some python packages, for that my script fails because it looks for the sound card, and I would like to setup a virtual microphone to feed my application, is this possible?

Greetings

Re: virtual Microphone?

Andres Santos
The problem is that the device that generates the sound, is not a computer, it's an esp8266 which is sending only raw values to the server, in the server i just Converted it to wav but my script wants the ALSA device

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 13:40 Sunset Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
believe you could use netjack, have the virtual server connect to the jack server on your local machine, which will be synchronized to your local sound device. though your specific network circumstances might be an issue for it. there are i believe other solutions like netjack which are better suited to WAN connections

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019, 2:29 PM Andres Santos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if with jack I could create a virtual microphone to use, I have a hosted server which obviously doesnt have sound card, and I would like to stream sound via network to the server and process it using some python packages, for that my script fails because it looks for the sound card, and I would like to setup a virtual microphone to feed my application, is this possible?

Greetings
Web Architect  | Neoris
Innovation over knowledge

Re: virtual Microphone?

Chris Caudle
On Mon, September 23, 2019 1:47 pm, Andres Santos wrote:
> The problem is that the device that generates the sound, is not a
> computer,
> it's an esp8266 which is sending only raw values to the server, in the
> server i just Converted it to wav but my script wants the ALSA device

The jackd server is designed for low latency audio transfer between
applications. In most cases virtual servers are not made with low latency
in mind, so probably jackd is not the best solution for your use.
With ESP8266 I assume that the connection is WiFi, which is another source
of variable and high latency. For most cases even WiFi to a dedicated
local machine is not recommended with jackd, if I  understand correctly
you will be generating or collecting data with an ESP8266, sending via
WiFi to some virtual server.  Is the virtual server on the same local
network, or remote and must be accessed over the Internet?

From the limited information given so far, my impression is that modifying
the python program will be less work than getting jackd to work for this
use case.

--
Chris Caudle

Re: virtual Microphone?

Andres Santos
Hello Chris, very good sum up, yes my esp8266 is connected to wifi, and using UDP is trying to send "almost near real time" at least the lag is not very perceived, now, the remote server is not on my local network, is a linode server, and I am trying to use snowboy kitt, which relies on pyaudio and is pyaudio the one which fails if a sound card is not present, I created a dummy sound card but I still cannot manage to make mi virtual microphone the default one

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 12:46 PM Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, September 23, 2019 1:47 pm, Andres Santos wrote:
> The problem is that the device that generates the sound, is not a
> computer,
> it's an esp8266 which is sending only raw values to the server, in the
> server i just Converted it to wav but my script wants the ALSA device

The jackd server is designed for low latency audio transfer between
applications. In most cases virtual servers are not made with low latency
in mind, so probably jackd is not the best solution for your use.
With ESP8266 I assume that the connection is WiFi, which is another source
of variable and high latency. For most cases even WiFi to a dedicated
local machine is not recommended with jackd, if I  understand correctly
you will be generating or collecting data with an ESP8266, sending via
WiFi to some virtual server.  Is the virtual server on the same local
network, or remote and must be accessed over the Internet?

From the limited information given so far, my impression is that modifying