[Jack-Devel] windows

1213729945
Dear:

    I want to read the time code in the audio port of windows system.
The time code was generated by a German time code device named TENTACLE SYNC .

    What should I do?

Re: windows

Phil Rhodes
I guess it depends what you want to do with the timecode.

I'm not an Jack expert, but I have written quite a bit of timecode handling software.

What are you trying to achieve?

Phil

    I want to read the time code in the audio port of windows system.
The time code was generated by a German time code device named TENTACLE SYNC .

    What should I do?

[Jack-Devel] 回复: windows

1213729945
 I want to read the time code from the audio pin on windows system which is connected with the timecode generator TENTACLE, and then get the same timecode with TENTACLE, after that we write the timecode in our data file. How can we get the timecode via Jack ?

    I want to read the time code in the audio port of windows system.
The time code was generated by a German time code device named TENTACLE SYNC .

    What should I do?

Re: »Ø¸´£º windows

Chris Caudle
On Wed, January 9, 2019 5:20 am, 1213729945 wrote:
> I want to read the time code from the audio pin on windows system which is
> connected with the timecode generator TENTACLE

Why do you want to use jack?  There should be plenty of examples of how to
read audio data from a Windows audio device.

> How can we get the timecode via Jack ?

You can only get the audio data via jack, you would still have to derive
the timecode from the audio.
Robin, aka X42, wrote a library for dealing with timecode, as well as
command line utilities for extracting timecode from audio files.
https://github.com/x42
https://github.com/x42/libltc
https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools

They work on posix style systems like linux, you could probably get them
running on Windows with cygwin or mingw or similar.  Or just run linux
instead of Windows, a lot of distributions have those tools ready to use.

--
Chris Caudle

Re: »Ø¸´£º windows

Robin Gareus
On 1/9/19 4:19 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:

> On Wed, January 9, 2019 5:20 am, 1213729945 wrote:
>> I want to read the time code from the audio pin on windows system which is
>> connected with the timecode generator TENTACLE
>
> Why do you want to use jack?  There should be plenty of examples of how to
> read audio data from a Windows audio device.
>
>> How can we get the timecode via Jack ?
>
> You can only get the audio data via jack, you would still have to derive
> the timecode from the audio.
> Robin, aka X42, wrote a library for dealing with timecode, as well as
> command line utilities for extracting timecode from audio files.
> https://github.com/x42
> https://github.com/x42/libltc
> https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools
>
> They work on posix style systems like linux, you could probably get them
> running on Windows with cygwin or mingw or similar.  Or just run linux
> instead of Windows, a lot of distributions have those tools ready to use.

libltc is known to work on windows with MSVC.  There is an example (ASIO
| Portaudio, MSVC..) at
https://github.com/x42/libltc/issues/18#issuecomment-188129134  However,
that has nothing to do with jack and I do not know much about it myself.

I also don't know if TENTACLE uses LTC to begin with.

ciao,
robin

Re: »Ø¸´£º windows

Chris Caudle
On Wed, January 9, 2019 9:32 am, Robin Gareus wrote:
> libltc is known to work on windows with MSVC.

That is a cool feature, I guess.

> that has nothing to do with jack

Right, I don't think the original poster has clarified why jackd use is
desired rather than native OS audio.

> I also don't know if TENTACLE uses LTC to begin with.

That I can answer:
"Uses LTC Timecode according to SMPTE-12M Standard"

Last year sometime I helped someone check recordings made with a digital
camera and a Tentacle device to generate timecode, ltc-tools could decode
it with no problem, and ardour imported to a video timeline mostly with no
problems (there were some issues with the variable frame rate video
encoding used by the camera by default, but I don't think that is
pertinent here).

--
Chris Caudle

Re: »Ø¸´£º windows

Kjetil Matheussen-2
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 4:19 PM Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, January 9, 2019 5:20 am, 1213729945 wrote:
> > I want to read the time code from the audio pin on windows system which is
> > connected with the timecode generator TENTACLE
>
> Why do you want to use jack?  There should be plenty of examples of how to
> read audio data from a Windows audio device.

Why not use Jack? It's a simple API that works excellently on Windows.

Re: »Ø¸´£º windows

Chris Caudle
On Wed, January 9, 2019 11:00 am, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
> Why not use Jack? It's a simple API that works excellently on Windows.

Yes, that could be a good reason, cross-platform operation is another,
application to application routing is another.  It would just be good to
get confirmation from the original poster about requirements, and
hopefully make sure there are no misconceptions about the capabilities of
jackd.

--
Chris Caudle

[Jack-Devel] 回复: &#xBB;&#xD8;&#xB8;&#xB4;&#xA3;&#xBA; windows

Can you give me a example that can read the time code from the audio pin on windows system.

抄送: "1213729945"<[hidden email]>; "jack-devel"<[hidden email]>;
主题: Re: [Jack-Devel] »Ø¸´£º windows

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 4:19 PM Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, January 9, 2019 5:20 am, <span style="border-bottom: 1px dashed rgb(204, 204, 204); z-index: 1; position: static;" t="7" onclick="return false;" data="1213729945">1213729945 wrote:
> > I want to read the time code from the audio pin on windows system which is
> > connected with the timecode generator TENTACLE
>
> Why do you want to use jack?  There should be plenty of examples of how to
> read audio data from a Windows audio device.

Why not use Jack? It's a simple API that works excellently on Windows.

Re: 回复: windows

Can you give me a example?
Thank you very much.

From: "Chris Caudle"<[hidden email]>;
Date: 2019年1月9日(星期三) 晚上11:19
To: "1213729945"<[hidden email]>;
Cc: "Phil Rhodes"<[hidden email]>; "jack-devel"<[hidden email]>;
Subject: Re: [Jack-Devel] 回复: windows

On Wed, January 9, 2019 5:20 am, <span style="border-bottom:1px dashed #ccc;z-index:1" t="7" onclick="return false;" data="1213729945">1213729945 wrote:
> I want to read the time code from the audio pin on windows system which is
> connected with the timecode generator TENTACLE

Why do you want to use jack?  There should be plenty of examples of how to
read audio data from a Windows audio device.

> How can we get the timecode via Jack ?

You can only get the audio data via jack, you would still have to derive
the timecode from the audio.
Robin, aka X42, wrote a library for dealing with timecode, as well as
command line utilities for extracting timecode from audio files.
https://github.com/x42
https://github.com/x42/libltc
https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools

They work on posix style systems like linux, you could probably get them
running on Windows with cygwin or mingw or similar.  Or just run linux
instead of Windows, a lot of distributions have those tools ready to use.

--
Chris Caudle

Re: 回复: &#xBB;&#xD8;&#xB8;&#xB4;&#xA3;&#xBA; windows

Robin Gareus
On 1/10/19 3:31 AM, 1213729945 wrote:
> Can you give me a example that can read the time code from the audio pin on windows system.

I cannot. But there is
  https://github.com/loupus/LtcWaveAudio
that generates timecode, writes to an audio output. Parsing timecode
should be easy to do: either with jack or based on above example.

Also https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools can do that with jack on windows.

Both example project are linked from the documentation of the library at
http://x42.github.io/libltc/ -- If you plan to inter-operate with the
TENTACLE sync devices I highly recommend to read the documentation and
also familiarize yourself with pro audio software concepts.

ciao,
robin

Re: »Ø¸´£º windows

Chris Caudle
On Wed, January 9, 2019 8:34 pm, 1213729945 wrote:
> Can you give me a example?

I already provided a link to examples.
https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools

The application jltcdump in that project will connect to jackd ports and
convert the audio to ltc timestamps.
Start here:
https://github.com/x42/ltc-tools/blob/master/jltcdump.c

The tools in ltc-tools rely on libltc which I also provided a link for
previously.
https://github.com/x42/libltc

--
Chris Caudle