Jack and XMMS - crackling, no 48kHz?

Lutz Morelater
Hi,

I'm using Jack on a Kanotix 2005-02 distro, soundcard is a Creative
Soundblaster Live! 5.1 digital.

Jack version is 0.99.0-6
XMMS version is 1.2.10
qjackctl version is 0.2.15a
jack driver version is 0.14 (output for XMMS).

I can connect jack to XMMS, but I'm getting the well known crackling with it
(the lowest period size accepted by ALSA is 128, resulting in 5.33ms
latency).

To fix that crackling problem mentioned further down here in this board, I
want to set jack to use 48kHz, but when doing so XMMS complaints "XMMS is
asking for a sample rate that differs from that of the jack server. XMMS
1,2.8 or later contains resampling routines that xmms-jack will dynamically
load and use to perform resampling. Or you can restart the jack server with
a sample rate that matches the one that xmms desires. -r is the option for
the jack alsa drive so -r 44100 or -r 48000 should do."

Now that I have XMMS 1.2.10 it should have these routines for resampling, so
why is it complaining? And I have set Jack to use 48kHz, so why can't it do
the resampling then?

Can I set jack to use ASIO mode with my soundcard, and where can I set it to
do so in qjackctl?

What is the benefit of setting jack to temporary server mode and what do the
memory settings in qjackctl mean?

Regards,
Dave,

Re: Jack and XMMS - crackling, no 48kHz?

Lee Revell
On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 11:00 +0200, Dave Glenn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Jack on a Kanotix 2005-02 distro, soundcard is a Creative
> Soundblaster Live! 5.1 digital.
>
> Jack version is 0.99.0-6

Get a newer JACK (you'll have to build from CVS).  That problem is
thought to be fixed.

You'll still have better results running at 48KHz though.  The main
benefit is you can do 16 channels full duplex at 64 or even 32 frames by
using the hw:x,3 device for playback and hw:x,2 for capture (requires
ALSA 1.0.9).

Plus you can use high quality software resamplers for your MP3 playing &
stuff, vs. the hardware resampling on the card.

Lee