Jack audio error zombified

salsaman-3
Hi,
apologies if this question has already been answered.

very occasionally in my application I see the following error:

Jack audio error zombified - calling shutdown handler

the error seemingly happens at random. I have two questions:
what causes this error ? What steps can I take to prevent it ?

This is with version jackd 0.100.6 with the server_dir patch.

Regards,
Gabriel.
http://lives.sourceforge.net

Re: Jack audio error zombified

Paul Davis
On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 09:53 +0200, salsaman wrote:
> Hi,
> apologies if this question has already been answered.
>
> very occasionally in my application I see the following error:
>
> Jack audio error zombified - calling shutdown handler
>
> the error seemingly happens at random. I have two questions:
> what causes this error ? What steps can I take to prevent it ?

it means that your application failed to complete its process callback
within the time available, i.e. it is not real-time safe and thus JACK
evicts it from the JACK client list because it has a negative impact on
any other clients.

Paul Davis wrote:

>On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 09:53 +0200, salsaman wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>apologies if this question has already been answered.
>>
>>very occasionally in my application I see the following error:
>>
>>Jack audio error zombified - calling shutdown handler
>>
>>the error seemingly happens at random. I have two questions:
>>what causes this error ? What steps can I take to prevent it ?
>>

>it means that your application failed to complete its process callback
>within the time available, i.e. it is not real-time safe and thus JACK
>evicts it from the JACK client list because it has a negative impact on
>any other clients.
>
>--p

Ah thanks.

And the second question - how to avoid it ? Ideally of course, my client
will always reply within the alloted time - but let's assume my app is
the only input client using jack and is connected to just the pcm output.

Is there a way to tell jackd - never kill the client, even if it
takes too long to respond ?

Thanks in advance,
Gabriel.