[Jack-devel] Guru Meditation 00000003.00C01570

[Jack-devel] Guru Meditation 00000003.00C01570

jeffery-2
And an Amiga Workbench 1.3 request?
Am I hallucinating?

I was recording in Muse, using qJackctl as a transport.
I'm in Agnula.

I got a red text crash data
before I could jot the stuff down, it went to
an Amiga crash screen?

What the heck?

Is this why JACK is single-user only?

I want to send you the crash log, I know you need it.
(if it didn't go out to you already)
But I don't know where to look for it.

BTW,
the system is still up, did not go down.
the terminal told me it was going down,
and I didn't know any better.

When executed ^alt prior to choosing another tty,
I was transported back to X on tty7

But I can't find the tty which was
showing me the debugging stuff.

I haven't yet rebooted the Demudi Agnula
(although apparently, an Amiga emulator somewhere
has autonomically done so...)

Re: [Jack-devel] Guru Meditation 00000003.00C01570

Lee Revell
On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 11:20 -0700, jeffery bucove wrote:
> And an Amiga Workbench 1.3 request?
> Am I hallucinating?

Possibly.

> I was recording in Muse, using qJackctl as a transport.
> I'm in Agnula.
>
> I got a red text crash data
> before I could jot the stuff down, it went to
> an Amiga crash screen?
>
> What the heck?
>
> Is this why JACK is single-user only?

It sounds like Xscreensaver is confusing you.  One of the screen savers
cycles through crash screens for a variety of OSes.  It's not a real
crash.

Did the audio stop working when this Amiga crash screen popped up?

Lee

Lee Revell wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 11:20 -0700, jeffery bucove wrote:
>> And an Amiga Workbench 1.3 request?
>> Am I hallucinating?
>>

> Possibly.
>
>> I was recording in Muse, using qJackctl as a transport.
>> I'm in Agnula.
>>
>> I got a red text crash data
>> before I could jot the stuff down, it went to
>> an Amiga crash screen?
>>
>> What the heck?
>>
>> Is this why JACK is single-user only?
>
> It sounds like Xscreensaver is confusing you.  One of the screen savers
> cycles through crash screens for a variety of OSes.  It's not a real
> crash.
>
> Did the audio stop working when this Amiga crash screen popped up?
>
> Lee

Oh my god I'm an Idiot.
Sorry.

Re: [Jack-devel] Guru Meditation 00000003.00C01570

Dave Cunningham
On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 11:20:43AM -0700, jeffery bucove wrote:

>And an Amiga Workbench 1.3 request?
>Am I hallucinating?
>
>I was recording in Muse, using qJackctl as a transport.
>I'm in Agnula.
>
>I got a red text crash data
>before I could jot the stuff down, it went to
>an Amiga crash screen?
>
>What the heck?
>
>Is this why JACK is single-user only?
>
>I want to send you the crash log, I know you need it.
>(if it didn't go out to you already)
>But I don't know where to look for it.
>
>BTW,
>the system is still up, did not go down.
>the terminal told me it was going down,
>and I didn't know any better.
>
>When executed ^alt prior to choosing another tty,
>I was transported back to X on tty7
>
>But I can't find the tty which was
>showing me the debugging stuff.
>
>I haven't yet rebooted the Demudi Agnula
>(although apparently, an Amiga emulator somewhere
>has autonomically done so...)

At first I thought this was an attempt at poetry...

Re: [Jack-devel] Guru Meditation 00000003.00C01570

Dave Robillard
On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 11:39 -0700, jeffery bucove wrote:

> Lee Revell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 11:20 -0700, jeffery bucove wrote:
> >> And an Amiga Workbench 1.3 request?
> >> Am I hallucinating?
> >>

> > Possibly.
> >
> >> I was recording in Muse, using qJackctl as a transport.
> >> I'm in Agnula.
> >>
> >> I got a red text crash data
> >> before I could jot the stuff down, it went to
> >> an Amiga crash screen?
> >>
> >> What the heck?
> >>
> >> Is this why JACK is single-user only?
> >
> > It sounds like Xscreensaver is confusing you.  One of the screen savers
> > cycles through crash screens for a variety of OSes.  It's not a real
> > crash.
> >
> > Did the audio stop working when this Amiga crash screen popped up?
> >
> > Lee
>
> Oh my god I'm an Idiot.
> Sorry.

Oh.  My.  God.

I think I may have just laughed longer and louder than any intentional
comedy has ever made me laugh.

Thanks. :)

-DR-

Re: [Jack-devel] Guru Meditation 00000003.00C01570

Phil Rhodes
Hi,

> I think I may have just laughed longer and louder than any intentional
> comedy has ever made me laugh.

Well stuff that, I thought someone had compiled JACK for the Amiga!

Phil

Re: [Jack-devel] Guru Meditation 00000003.00C01570

Kjetil S. Matheussen

"Phil Rhodes":

> Hi,
>
>> I think I may have just laughed longer and louder than any intentional
>> comedy has ever made me laugh.
>
> Well stuff that, I thought someone had compiled JACK for the Amiga!

Actually, I have thought about doing just that many times. It would be
extremely simple to do since there is no memory protection on the amiga,
sending messages between programs are good supported in the core of the
OS, and that theres no trouble setting a program to run in realtime.

Also, running the jack server as an amiga library would be very elegant.

However, the usefulness of running Jack on the amiga is however so
doubtful that everytime I think about it I let it be. :-)

[hidden email] wrote:

> "Phil Rhodes":
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I think I may have just laughed longer and louder than any intentional
>>> comedy has ever made me laugh.
>> Well stuff that, I thought someone had compiled JACK for the Amiga!
>>

> Actually, I have thought about doing just that many times. It would be
> extremely simple to do since there is no memory protection on the amiga,
> sending messages between programs are good supported in the core of the
> OS, and that theres no trouble setting a program to run in realtime.
>
> Also, running the jack server as an amiga library would be very elegant.
>
> However, the usefulness of running Jack on the amiga is however so
> doubtful that everytime I think about it I let it be. :-)

Well, if you do I'd be happy to volunteer my excerpt of assembler
interrupt for the Amiga's serial port.

It's very tiny and will not return the port to the multitasking system
long enough to drop any MIDI even if it streams at full baud rate
indefinitely. At 7.5Mhz, the window refresh slows a bit but it
won't crash and it won't drop any MIDI.

It is written completely legally within AmigaDOS, and is designed as
an supervisor mode system call. I was quite proud of it. :-D

Let me know if you have use of it.

..jeffers