Jack on a Dell C600

Alastair Couper

I am wondering if there are others who have tried with this hardware or
something similar. I am using Kubuntu 5.04, with a custom kernel (2.6.11
vanilla, with preempt enabled + supermount). I have turned off all uneeded
services (as far as I can tell).

Realtime jackd won't go lower than n=3 p=1024 without clicks showing up,
even though those clicks do not give xruns at n=2 p=1024. The clicks are
very regularly spaced, every second or so. I would not expect really
performance with laptops, but with a 750mhz PIII, I would like to see if I
can get better for softsynth purposes. Maybe this is just asking too much
for this box.

Tests are ongoing, but I would like to here from anyone that has "been
dere done dat." I know people are likely to suggest giving KDE the boot in
such a case, but I have not found it to be an issue on my other desktop
system.

Re: Jack on a Dell C600

Rob Fell
Alastair Couper wrote:

> I am wondering if there are others who have tried with this hardware or
> something similar. I am using Kubuntu 5.04, with a custom kernel
> (2.6.11  vanilla, with preempt enabled + supermount).

Try losing the supermount.  It used to cause problems.

good luck

Re: Jack on a Dell C600

James McDermott
Alastair,

I'm running DeMuDi on a Dell Inspiron 4000, which has a 700MHz CPU and
256Mb RAM. Pretty underpowered, I know, but an even lesser machine
used to be able to do great things for me under Windows, so I'm not
buying anything new yet! I'm using Fluxbox, a fairly lightweight
window manager.

So far, I've noticed a few things:

1. (obviously) Jack settings make a big difference. One thing I
haven't seen mentioned on the lists is the issue of duplex v. one-way.
I disabled the capture port, since I'm not using it for now, and I
think it helped.

2. it's recommended to disable lots of non-essential daemons. Some
people write a script, some create a new runlevel. I did this:

# cd /etc
# mkdir rc8.d
# cp rc2.d/* rc8.d # because 2 is the "ordinary" runlevel on DeMuDi
# cd rc8.d
# mv S20ssh K20ssh # and the same for lots of other services

and added this line to my /etc/inittab:

l8:8:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 8

(below the other lines that look similar).

I can now issue a command

# telinit 8

to switch to that runlevel, and all the K??<service> links in the
rc8.d directory kill off their associated services. I still can't say
for sure how much that improves audio performance. It would be great
if one of the experts could post exactly what method they use to
switch to "audio mode"?

Re: Jack on a Dell C600

Lee Revell
On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 18:44 +0100, James McDermott wrote:
> It would be great
> if one of the experts could post exactly what method they use to
> switch to "audio mode"?

Nothing.  Linux is not Windows, you don't have to do crazy things like
disable the network or aggressively kill unnecessary services to prevent
xruns.  Whatever you use for a regular desktop should work.

Lee