Jackdmp 0.67 package for Linux, OSX and Windows

Jackdmp 0.67 package for Linux, OSX and Windows

Stéphane Letz
Version 0.67:

- Correct jack_client_open "status" management.
- Rename server_name from "default" to "jackdmp_default" to avoid
conflict with regular jackd server.
- Fix a resource leak issue in JackCoreAudioDriver::Close().
- Better implement "jack_client_open" when linking a client with the
server library.
- Correct "jack_register_server" in shm.c.
- Add missing timestamps.c and timestamps.h files.
- Correctly export public headers in OSX frameworks.
- Suppress JackEngine::ClientInternalCloseIm method.
- Use .jackdrc file (instead of .jackdmprc).
- Install script now creates a link "jackd ==> jackdmp" so that
automatic launch can work correctly.
- Paul Davis patch for -r (--replace-registry) feature.
- Internal loadable client implementation.
- Fix JackEngine::Close() method.
- Windows JackRouter.dll version 0.17: 32 integer sample format.

Available at http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html

Stephane

Re: Jackdmp 0.67 package for Linux, OSX and Windows

Stéphane Letz

Le 17 oct. 07 à 00:45, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano a écrit :

> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 10:06 +0200, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>> Version 0.67:
>
> Hi Stephane... I'm trying to see if I can get jackdmp packaged for
> Planet CCRMA, at as an alternative to the regular vanilla jackd.
>
> A few quick questions if you don't mind (I did a preliminary
> package and
> jackdmp appears to be working fine...).
>
> Does installing jackdmp assume you already have jackd installed?

Hi Fernando,

Not really... but

> For
> example, the install process tries to remove an existing jackd and its
> libraries but I don't have them available in my build environment,
> so I
> patched the Makefile to avoid that.
> But, for example, the make process
> does not find jack/jack.h, something I worked around by creating a
> compatibility link in the jakcdmp source tree (linked common/jack/
> jack.h
> to common/jack.h) - maybe I do need to have jack-audio-connection-kit
> installed before building jackdmp?
>
> Also, jackdmp does not install any headers, etc for jack development.
> Are you supposed to use the ones from the regular jack?

Yes jack headers are not installed, since they define the *same* API
that regular jack (they are some minor difference because of the way
those headers are also used to build the libraries.., that is
something the #include "transport.h"  instead of #include <jack/
transport.h>)
But using regular jack header is OK when *compiling* applications
that need jack.

I need to cleanup this header issue, but how to you plan to deal with
that? do you plan to have a jack package and a separated jack-dev
package with the headers??

Le 17 oct. 07 à 01:06, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano a écrit :

> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 15:45 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 10:06 +0200, Stéphane Letz wrote:
>>> Version 0.67:
>>
>> Hi Stephane... I'm trying to see if I can get jackdmp packaged for
>> Planet CCRMA, at as an alternative to the regular vanilla jackd.
>>
>> A few quick questions if you don't mind (I did a preliminary
>> package and
>> jackdmp appears to be working fine...).
>
> What do these mean:
>
> JackEngine::XRun: client = ZynAddSubFX was not run: state = 2
>
> I get them from jackdmp when I try to play many notes in
> zynaddsubfx. Is
> it not being fast enough?
>
> -- Fernando

By default jackdmp is started in "asynchronous" mode:  it means that
the server does not wait for the entire graph to be finished in a
given cycle, but used the output buffer computed previous cycle to
produce its output (one buffer more overall latency). At the next
cycle the server scan all running clients and possibly found out
those which are late and thus display this  "client xxx was not run"
message.

This correspond to a xrun since not all clients could be run. jackdmp
is started in "asynchronous" mode by default because it is somewhat
more robust: even when *some* client cannot be run, the output may
still be partially produced (this depending of the graph topology),
and the result is less audio clicks.

You can use the -S parameter to start jackdmp in  "synchronous" mode.
In this case the server waits for the last client to be finished
(same like jack), but  a *single* late client blocks everything and
an audio drop will result.

Try using - S parameter in the same zynaddsubfx test and see what
happens.

Stephane

Re: Jackdmp 0.67 package for Linux, OSX and Windows

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 10:28 +0200, Stéphane Letz wrote:

> Le 17 oct. 07 à 00:45, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano a écrit :
> > On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 10:06 +0200, Stéphane Letz wrote:
> >> Version 0.67:
> >
> > Hi Stephane... I'm trying to see if I can get jackdmp packaged for
> > Planet CCRMA, at as an alternative to the regular vanilla jackd.
> >
> > A few quick questions if you don't mind (I did a preliminary
> > package and jackdmp appears to be working fine...).
> >
> > Does installing jackdmp assume you already have jackd installed?
>
> Hi Fernando,
>
> Not really... but
>
> > For
> > example, the install process tries to remove an existing jackd and its
> > libraries but I don't have them available in my build environment,
> > so I patched the Makefile to avoid that. But, for example, the make process
> > does not find jack/jack.h, something I worked around by creating a
> > compatibility link in the jakcdmp source tree (linked common/jack/
> > jack.h to common/jack.h) - maybe I do need to have jack-audio-connection-kit
> > installed before building jackdmp?
> >
> > Also, jackdmp does not install any headers, etc for jack development.
> > Are you supposed to use the ones from the regular jack?
>
> Yes jack headers are not installed, since they define the *same* API
> that regular jack (they are some minor difference because of the way
> those headers are also used to build the libraries.., that is
> something the #include "transport.h"  instead of #include <jack/
> transport.h>)
> But using regular jack header is OK when *compiling* applications
> that need jack.
>
> I need to cleanup this header issue, but how to you plan to deal with
> that? do you plan to have a jack package and a separated jack-dev
> package with the headers??

It is the normal packaging deal in Fedora (and most - all? - package
based distros). Packages would be named, for now, jackdmp and
jackdmp-devel.

There's always the problem of how to deal with the "up" jack packages,
currently named jack-audio-connection-kit and
jack-audio-connection-kit-devel. For now I'm just adding a conflict so
that both can't be installed at the same time (you have to manually
erase one to install the other - not a good solution of course).

I remember there being a discussion a while back on ways to make both
jackd and jackdmp coexist in one system, what came of that if anything?

-- Fernando

Re: Jackdmp 0.67 package for Linux, OSX and Windows

Stéphane Letz

> It is the normal packaging deal in Fedora (and most - all? - package
> based distros). Packages would be named, for now, jackdmp and
> jackdmp-devel.
>
> There's always the problem of how to deal with the "up" jack packages,
> currently named jack-audio-connection-kit and
> jack-audio-connection-kit-devel. For now I'm just adding a conflict so
> that both can't be installed at the same time (you have to manually
> erase one to install the other - not a good solution of course).
>
> I remember there being a discussion a while back on ways to make both
> jackd and jackdmp coexist in one system, what came of that if
> anything?
>
> -- Fernando

It is possible by having a special "wrapper" libjack.so library that
dynamically choose which of the regular libjack.so or libjackmp.so a
client have to use depending of which of the server (jackd or
jackdmp) is currently running.
I started to develop that then saw that it would require some change
in regular jackd compiling/linking structure. Since it was probably
to complex for the benefit, nothing came out concretely.

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 23:54 +0200, Stéphane Letz wrote:

> > It is the normal packaging deal in Fedora (and most - all? - package
> > based distros). Packages would be named, for now, jackdmp and
> > jackdmp-devel.
> >
> > There's always the problem of how to deal with the "up" jack packages,
> > currently named jack-audio-connection-kit and
> > jack-audio-connection-kit-devel. For now I'm just adding a conflict so
> > that both can't be installed at the same time (you have to manually
> > erase one to install the other - not a good solution of course).
> >
> > I remember there being a discussion a while back on ways to make both
> > jackd and jackdmp coexist in one system, what came of that if
> > anything?
> >
> It is possible by having a special "wrapper" libjack.so library that
> dynamically choose which of the regular libjack.so or libjackmp.so a
> client have to use depending of which of the server (jackd or
> jackdmp) is currently running.
> I started to develop that then saw that it would require some change
> in regular jackd compiling/linking structure. Since it was probably
> to complex for the benefit, nothing came out concretely.

What do the other jack developers think? I think the benefit is big.

It would be great for both jacks to be able to coexist in a given
machine. Otherwise packaging is a real pain....

-- Fernando