Jackdmp "direct" version to test

Stéphane Letz
Hi Andrzej,

I implemented the direct call optimization I told you about in a new
"direct" branch in jackdmp SVN. This new version is able to optimize
client activation by directly calling the "Process" callback in case
clients are connected in sequence in a same process (the server or
any separated process). That is if c1 -> c2 -> c3 -> c4 live in the
server, then the audio driver will directly call c1,c2,c3,c4 Process
callback in sequence. Note that if several parallel sequences exist,
then the optimization works for each separated sequence, that is if
we have c1 -> c2 -> c3 -> c4, and c5 -> c6 -> c7 -> c8, the audio
driver will directly call c1,c2,c3,c4, resume c5 with the standard
fifo based mechanism and the c5 thread then will call c5,c6,c7,c8 in
sequence. Same optimization happens for clients in separated processes.

The optimization is obviously better visible with a lot of clients in
a same process, and small buffer sizes. I tested it on OSX with a 4
cores machine, and results are quite good. For 10 metro like clients
connected in sequence running at 64 frames: fifo based activation
system gives 12% jack CPU load when "Direct call" version gives 4%
jack CPU load. I also tested your "jacksbench" tools with the
expected results.

I did not test it on Linux and am interested by the results you could
have.

The code is available at: svn co http://subversion.jackaudio.org/
jackmp/branches/direct.  A new parameter -C allows to activate
"direct call" mode. By default  "direct call" mode is off.

Stephane