Multiple jackd

Martin Kuhn-4
Hi,

is it possible to write a program that connects to multiple Jack
daemons? How do I specify to wich daemon I want to connect to?

I want to process inputs of different Soundcards in one program. But I
don't want to build a cheap Multichannel Sound Card, I know that this
doesn't work. I do not record anything. I have a input signal, do some
processing and put it out . Now I want some "help" inputs that don't
have to be synched with the other inputs.
The idea is to start two Jack daemons, one per soundcard and connect
from one program to them. But I don't know how to do this.

Martin

Re: Multiple jackd

Jack O'Quin-2
Martin Kuhn <[hidden email]> writes:

> is it possible to write a program that connects to multiple Jack
> daemons? How do I specify to wich daemon I want to connect to?

Yes.  We have not yet updated the JACK web site for the current
release, so the new interfaces to handle this are not publically
visible.  You can use my copy until jackit.sf.net is up to date...

  http://www.joq.us/jack/reference/html/jack_8h.html#a1

> I want to process inputs of different Soundcards in one program. But I
> don't want to build a cheap Multichannel Sound Card, I know that this
> doesn't work. I do not record anything. I have a input signal, do some
> processing and put it out . Now I want some "help" inputs that don't
> have to be synched with the other inputs.
> The idea is to start two Jack daemons, one per soundcard and connect
> from one program to them. But I don't know how to do this.

Use jack_client_open() once for each server.  Your client gets a
separate thread and process() handler each time.  These threads are
*not* synchronized with one another.

This should work, though you may end up testing some untried paths.
Please let us know about any problems you find.
--
  joq