New Jack website - any volunteers?

Joe Button-2
In honour of the new Jack release we are working on a shiny new website, with a Content Management System that will hopefully make it easier to keep it updated. The site, as far as it goes, is here: http://www.jackaudio.org/index.php. Constructive criticism is welcome, particularly suggestions as to what colour the links (currently orange) should be.

Would anyone like to help get the content sorted out a bit? The Content Management System means HTML knowledge isn't required.

The content's largely pasted from the old site (http://jackit.sf.net). Parts of it need updating, eg. the Documentation section and the FAQ. Various links seem to be out of date, eg on the Applications page. Even if you're not a Jack guru it would be great if someone could sort out the broken links.

If you're up for it then register on the new site and I'll give you editing privileges.

Cheers,

Joe

Re: New Jack website - any volunteers?

Lee Revell
On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 18:53 +0100, Joe Button wrote:
> In honour of the new Jack release we are working on a shiny new website, with a Content Management System that will hopefully make it easier to keep it updated. The site, as far as it goes, is here: http://www.jackaudio.org/index.php. Constructive criticism is welcome, particularly suggestions as to what colour the links (currently orange) should be.

You don't have to use the standard blue/purple, but links that have been
visited MUST change color.

Lee

Re: New Jack website - any volunteers?

LGTrader
On 8/2/05, Lee Revell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 18:53 +0100, Joe Button wrote:
> > In honour of the new Jack release we are working on a shiny new website, with a Content Management System that will hopefully make it easier to keep it updated. The site, as far as it goes, is here: http://www.jackaudio.org/index.php. Constructive criticism is welcome, particularly suggestions as to what colour the links (currently orange) should be.
>
> You don't have to use the standard blue/purple, but links that have been
> visited MUST change color.

I like the orange. Bright and happy.

The links are not changing color which should bee addressed.

The site looks very nice. There are currently a few links that seem to
go no where but I'm sure you'll catch up on all of that over the next
few days.

Looks good!. Thanks!

- Mark

Re: New Jack website - any volunteers?

Joe Button-2
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:14:02 +0200
Melanie <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Melanie, thanks for taking a look.

> The font is tiny on my system, much smaller than other websites.
> Nearly unreadable!

What browser?

> The login form is irritating because it has no use.

It allows people to edit content on the site (subject to their details being checked by an admin).

> The PDF button is pointless, it produces no usable results.

Ok, it's gone.

Cheers,

Joe

Re: New Jack website - any volunteers?

melanie-36
Hi,

Joe Button wrote:
 > What browser?

Firefox 1.0.4 Linux kernel 2.4.23 XFree86 4.3.0 NVidia binary driver

 >>The login form is irritating because it has no use.
 > It allows people to edit content on the site (subject to their
details being checked by an admin).

Hide it on a sub page. On the public front page is not a suitable
place for it.

Melanie

Re: New Jack website - any volunteers?

Ryan Heise
On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 07:42:02PM +0100, Joe Button wrote:
> > The login form is irritating because it has no use.
>
> It allows people to edit content on the site (subject to their details
> being checked by an admin).

I would suggest moving the login form to http://www.jackaudio.org/admin/
without a link to it so that normal users will never see it. Admin users
can access this page simply by knowing the url.

I don't see a real need for a "polls" area.

Also, does "What is Jack?" have to say "Contributed by Joeboy" ?

I like the colour scheme, and the link colour. If we need a "visited"
colour, then a darker or lighter shade of orange might work (although I
don't think it's really necessary.)

Ryan

Re: New Jack website - any volunteers?

Florian Paul Schmidt-2
On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:53:27 +0100
Joe Button <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In honour of the new Jack release we are working on a shiny new website, with a Content Management System that will hopefully make it easier to keep it updated. The site, as far as it goes, is here: http://www.jackaudio.org/index.php. Constructive criticism is welcome, particularly suggestions as to what colour the links (currently orange) should be.

Hi,

http://www.jackaudio.org

still sends people to jackit.sf.net, while

http://www.jackaudio.org/index.php

works ok.

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://affenbande.org/~tapas/

Re: New Jack website - any volunteers?

Joe Button-2
Hi.

> http://www.jackaudio.org
>
> still sends people to jackit.sf.net, while
>
> http://www.jackaudio.org/index.php
>
> works ok.

That's deliberate - the jackaudio.org website isn't "launched" yet.

Re: New Jack website - any volunteers?

Florian Paul Schmidt-2
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:58:50 +0100
Joe Button <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> > http://www.jackaudio.org
> >
> > still sends people to jackit.sf.net, while
> >
> > http://www.jackaudio.org/index.php
> >
> > works ok.
>
> That's deliberate - the jackaudio.org website isn't "launched" yet.

Ah ok. the thing is just that the 0.100 release is available neither
from the old nor the new website. What's it gonna be?

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://affenbande.org/~tapas/

Re: New Jack website - any volunteers?

Antti Boman
Florian Schmidt wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:58:50 +0100
> Joe Button <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Hi.
>>

>>>http://www.jackaudio.org
>>>
>>>still sends people to jackit.sf.net, while
>>>
>>>http://www.jackaudio.org/index.php
>>>
>>>works ok.
>>
>>That's deliberate - the jackaudio.org website isn't "launched" yet.
>

> Ah ok. the thing is just that the 0.100 release is available neither
> from the old nor the new website. What's it gonna be?
>
> Flo

I'll add it to both places tomorrow. Sorry about the delay.

-a

Re: New Jack website - any volunteers?

Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> (janina@rednote.net)
Joe Button writes:
> In honour of the new Jack release we are working on a shiny new website, with a Content Management System that will hopefully make it easier to keep it updated. The site, as far as it goes, is here: http://www.jackaudio.org/index.php. Constructive criticism is welcome, particularly suggestions as to what colour the links (currently orange) should be.

Well, as the gal who piped up in favor of W3C conformance, and
especially with W3C accessibility, I want to say: "Nice job, and thank
you for that."

For myself, I see no issues -- at least not yet! <grin>

I also note that you're setting colours (etc) via a style-sheet.
Excellent. That's not my disability issue, but it sure is for many other
people. Way to go.

I also ran the top page through the W3C validator. It came up with only
5 errors, and they look pretty minor to me--and easily fixable.

                                Janina