New release?

lars.luthman (Bugzilla)
Are there any plans for a new JACK release soon? It's been a while since
the last one, and it would be nice to get an official release with the
changes in the MIDI API.

Or is there anything in particular that should be done first?

--ll

Re: New release?

Dmitry Baikov
On Nov 18, 2007 5:05 PM, Lars Luthman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are there any plans for a new JACK release soon? It's been a while since
> the last one, and it would be nice to get an official release with the
> changes in the MIDI API.
>
> Or is there anything in particular that should be done first?

As for JACK MIDI, I see no show-stoppers.
It would be cool if I added few things, though:
1) MIDI buffer size / buffer scale cmdline switch
2) event storage optimisation (like in jackdmp) (can do it anytime actually)

Big sysex issue can be solved without changing the API (with possible
addition of one new function).

Dmitry.

Re: New release?

Jonatan Liljedahl
Dmitry Baikov wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2007 5:05 PM, Lars Luthman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Are there any plans for a new JACK release soon? It's been a while since
>> the last one, and it would be nice to get an official release with the
>> changes in the MIDI API.
>>
>> Or is there anything in particular that should be done first?
>
> As for JACK MIDI, I see no show-stoppers.
> It would be cool if I added few things, though:
> 1) MIDI buffer size / buffer scale cmdline switch
> 2) event storage optimisation (like in jackdmp) (can do it anytime actually)
>
> Big sysex issue can be solved without changing the API (with possible
> addition of one new function).

Personally, I'd be very happy to see these changes. :)

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]

Re: New release?

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 15:05 +0100, Lars Luthman wrote:
> Are there any plans for a new JACK release soon? It's been a while since
> the last one, and it would be nice to get an official release with the
> changes in the MIDI API.
>
> Or is there anything in particular that should be done first?

The current codebase is not stable and has not been for a while.
Sometimes it can dump the wrong client out of the graph. Rui posted an
example not long ago that can make jackd self-destruct due to the
watchdog timer (I've seen that happen myself). We're all waiting
patiently for fixes to test...

-- Fernando

Re: New release?

Marc-Olivier Barre-2
On Nov 19, 2007 7:31 AM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 15:05 +0100, Lars Luthman wrote:
> > Are there any plans for a new JACK release soon? It's been a while since
> > the last one, and it would be nice to get an official release with the
> > changes in the MIDI API.
> >
> > Or is there anything in particular that should be done first?
>
> The current codebase is not stable and has not been for a while.
> Sometimes it can dump the wrong client out of the graph. Rui posted an
> example not long ago that can make jackd self-destruct due to the
> watchdog timer (I've seen that happen myself). We're all waiting
> patiently for fixes to test...

Same here. Playing a faulty video with mplayer (for instance), I can
crash both mplayer and jack easily.
A fix would be nice :) I'll be around waiting patiently to test too.

Re: New release?

Taybin Rutkin-2

On Nov 19, 2007, at 1:31 AM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 15:05 +0100, Lars Luthman wrote:
>> Are there any plans for a new JACK release soon? It's been a while
>> since
>> the last one, and it would be nice to get an official release with
>> the
>> changes in the MIDI API.
>>
>> Or is there anything in particular that should be done first?
>
> The current codebase is not stable and has not been for a while.
> Sometimes it can dump the wrong client out of the graph. Rui posted an
> example not long ago that can make jackd self-destruct due to the
> watchdog timer (I've seen that happen myself). We're all waiting
> patiently for fixes to test...

What if there was an rc release?

Taybin

Re: New release?

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 19:53 -0500, Taybin Rutkin wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2007, at 1:31 AM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 15:05 +0100, Lars Luthman wrote:
> >> Are there any plans for a new JACK release soon? It's been a while
> >> since
> >> the last one, and it would be nice to get an official release with
> >> the
> >> changes in the MIDI API.
> >>
> >> Or is there anything in particular that should be done first?
> >
> > The current codebase is not stable and has not been for a while.
> > Sometimes it can dump the wrong client out of the graph. Rui posted an
> > example not long ago that can make jackd self-destruct due to the
> > watchdog timer (I've seen that happen myself). We're all waiting
> > patiently for fixes to test...
>
> What if there was an rc release?

Hmm, yes, what if? I'm not sure I follow.

If there were an rc release we would probably test it to see if it fixed
the bug(s), of course. Are the patches or patch in svn already? I have
not seen anything in the list (but I'm not following commits).

-- Fernando

Re: New release?

Pieter Palmers
Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 19:53 -0500, Taybin Rutkin wrote:

>>> The current codebase is not stable and has not been for a while.
>>> Sometimes it can dump the wrong client out of the graph. Rui posted an
>>> example not long ago that can make jackd self-destruct due to the
>>> watchdog timer (I've seen that happen myself). We're all waiting
>>> patiently for fixes to test...
>> What if there was an rc release?
>
> Hmm, yes, what if? I'm not sure I follow.
>
> If there were an rc release we would probably test it to see if it fixed
> the bug(s), of course. Are the patches or patch in svn already? I have
> not seen anything in the list (but I'm not following commits).

Maybe if someone familiar with the problem 'bisected' the SVN commits to
figure out what exact commit introduced the problem it will get fixed
sooner. I'm afraid it's a matter of time allocation for those that can
fix it.

Greets,

Pieter

Re: New release?

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 09:37 +0100, Pieter Palmers wrote:

> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> >> What if there was an rc release?
> >
> > Hmm, yes, what if? I'm not sure I follow.
> >
> > If there were an rc release we would probably test it to see if it fixed
> > the bug(s), of course. Are the patches or patch in svn already? I have
> > not seen anything in the list (but I'm not following commits).
>
> Maybe if someone familiar with the problem 'bisected' the SVN commits to
> figure out what exact commit introduced the problem it will get fixed
> sooner. I'm afraid it's a matter of time allocation for those that can
> fix it.

Hmm, I think Rui posted a small program that can hang jackd, maybe I
could try to use that for bisecting svn commits. Otherwise, as the
problem is not deterministic it would be quite hard to do that.

-- Fernando

PS: so nobody is actually _using_ current svn?

Re: New release?

Mark Constable
On 2007-11-23 12:53 pm, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> PS: so nobody is actually _using_ current svn?

As in end-user using (not developing for) ?

If so then I'm using 0.107.5 (r1062) from a week or so ago.

--markc

Re: New release?

Rui Nuno Capela
On Fri, November 23, 2007 02:33, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> Hmm, I think Rui posted a small program that can hang jackd, maybe I
> could try to use that for bisecting svn commits. Otherwise, as the problem
> is not deterministic it would be quite hard to do that.
>
> -- Fernando
>
> PS: so nobody is actually _using_ current svn?

yes, i am using 0.107.5 and as matter of fact it works fine almost of the
time. however, the real critical issue regards to jackd robustness against
misbehaved clients. as in my example code (see below), it is extremely
easy to tear jackd apart, even though in a programmatic controlled
situation (process callback returning a non-zero value).

to date, i could not track down the precise svn revision where the problem
first appeared, but i'm pretty sure it was already in some iteration
before 0.105.0 was coined. my biggest suspicion goes (sorry Paul ;) to
some patches Paul has dealt, which introduced among other things,
port-name aliases and some new registration/connection callbacks. one of
the commits, can't really say which atm., was almost a complete rewrite of
the client control logic in jackd/engine.c. this was somewhere during the
first half of 2Q2007 iirc.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

jack_test1.c (5K) Download Attachment