OSS -> Jack

LGTrader
Hi,
   This is possibly a bit off topic but being this is the only list
like this I'm subscibed to I'll try and see what happens. Thanks in
advance.

   I'm doing some work in Cedega (old WineX) on a machine with an HDSP
9652. For whatever reason I get no sound from Wine using the Alsa
driver but I do get sound using the OSS driver pointed at /dev/dsp and
/dev/mixer. Unfortunately this only works when Jack isn't running.

   Below is a .asoundrc example of hooking an Alsa app up to the HDSP
9652 through Jack, and this works as far as it goes. However since
WineX is only working with OSS I'm wondering if someone knows how to
modify this so that an OSS app could talk to the Jack server?

   It's probably a totally bogus idea but it would be cool if there
were a couple of devices (udev?) that were like /dev/dsp and
/dev/mixer but hooked to the Jack server so that it would make stuff
like this even more transparent.

   Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers,
Mark

<Copied from http://www.alsa-project.org>

JACK plugin

This plugin allows the user to connect applications that support alsa
natively to the JACK daemon.

to compile and install jack, you need to move to src/pcm/ext
directory, and run "make jack" and "make install-jack".
this is intentional.

To use the JACK plugin you will need to add the following to your .asoundrc.

        pcm.jackplug {
                type plug
                slave { pcm "jack" }
        }

        pcm.jack {
                type jack
                playback_ports {
                0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
                1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
        }
        capture_ports {
                0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
                1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
        }
        }

Now, you can use:

        aplay -Djackplug somefile
        arecord -Djackplug somefile

Re: OSS -> Jack

Florian Paul Schmidt-2
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:26:04 -0700
Mark Knecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>    This is possibly a bit off topic but being this is the only list
> like this I'm subscibed to I'll try and see what happens. Thanks in
> advance.
>
>    I'm doing some work in Cedega (old WineX) on a machine with an HDSP
> 9652. For whatever reason I get no sound from Wine using the Alsa
> driver but I do get sound using the OSS driver pointed at /dev/dsp and
> /dev/mixer. Unfortunately this only works when Jack isn't running.
>
>    Below is a .asoundrc example of hooking an Alsa app up to the HDSP
> 9652 through Jack, and this works as far as it goes. However since
> WineX is only working with OSS I'm wondering if someone knows how to
> modify this so that an OSS app could talk to the Jack server?
>
>    It's probably a totally bogus idea but it would be cool if there
> were a couple of devices (udev?) that were like /dev/dsp and
> /dev/mixer but hooked to the Jack server so that it would make stuff
> like this even more transparent.
>
>    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

http://fort.xdas.com/~kor/oss2jack/

Also take a look at libjackasyn and jacklaunch

Have fun :)

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org

Re: OSS -> Jack

Lukas Erni
Am Freitag 19 August 2005 18:26 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> For whatever reason I get no sound from Wine using the Alsa
> driver but I do get sound using the OSS driver pointed at /dev/dsp
> and /dev/mixer. Unfortunately this only works when Jack isn't
> running.

if you not already have, create a registy entry in wine for alsa.

Create a new key called "ALSA". Within that, create a string value
called "MidiPort" and give it the value of "128:0". Create another
string value named "PlaybackDevice" and give it the value of
"default".

Then head to "HKCU\Software\Wine\Drivers" and for the "audio" entry,
change it to say "alsa".

read more:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-357932-highlight-alsa+wine.html

if it helps, it still does not solve the issue with jack i think.

lukas

Re: OSS -> Jack

LGTrader
On 8/19/05, Florian Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:26:04 -0700
> Mark Knecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >    This is possibly a bit off topic but being this is the only list
> > like this I'm subscibed to I'll try and see what happens. Thanks in
> > advance.
> >
> >    I'm doing some work in Cedega (old WineX) on a machine with an HDSP
> > 9652. For whatever reason I get no sound from Wine using the Alsa
> > driver but I do get sound using the OSS driver pointed at /dev/dsp and
> > /dev/mixer. Unfortunately this only works when Jack isn't running.
> >
> >    Below is a .asoundrc example of hooking an Alsa app up to the HDSP
> > 9652 through Jack, and this works as far as it goes. However since
> > WineX is only working with OSS I'm wondering if someone knows how to
> > modify this so that an OSS app could talk to the Jack server?
> >
> >    It's probably a totally bogus idea but it would be cool if there
> > were a couple of devices (udev?) that were like /dev/dsp and
> > /dev/mixer but hooked to the Jack server so that it would make stuff
> > like this even more transparent.
> >
> >    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> http://fort.xdas.com/~kor/oss2jack/
>
> Also take a look at libjackasyn and jacklaunch
>
> Have fun :)
>
> Flo

Hi Florin,
   OK, I'm trying with oss2jack. I've downloaded oss2jack-0.21.tar.gz
and fusd-kor-1.10-9.tar.gz. My system is Gentoo, udev and
2.6.12-gentoo-r6. I've built kfusd and a driver is installed:

mark@godzilla ~/CODE/oss2jack/oss2jack-0.21 $ slocate kfusd | grep modules
/lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r6/misc/kfusd.ko
mark@godzilla ~/CODE/oss2jack/oss2jack-0.21 $

I've modprobed kfusd and it seems ot be loaded:

mark@godzilla ~/CODE/oss2jack/oss2jack-0.21 $ /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
kfusd                  27740  0
snd_seq_midi            6688  0
snd_pcm_oss            47392  0
snd_mixer_oss          17024  2 snd_pcm_oss
<SNIP>

Jack is running as is hdspmixer.

I then try to run oss2jack and it complains:

mark@godzilla ~/CODE/oss2jack/oss2jack-0.21 $ oss2jack
libfusd: /dev/fusd/control does not exist; ensure FUSD's kernel module
is installed
Could not create sound device
: Package not installed
mark@godzilla ~/CODE/oss2jack/oss2jack-0.21 $ ls -al /dev/fusd*
ls: /dev/fusd*: No such file or directory
mark@godzilla ~/CODE/oss2jack/oss2jack-0.21 $

I think there might possibly need to be a custom udev rule to create
this device?

When Jack is not running I get a sensible message:

mark@godzilla ~/CODE/oss2jack/oss2jack-0.21 $ oss2jack
Error registering jack client. Make sure that jackd is running.
mark@godzilla ~/CODE/oss2jack/oss2jack-0.21 $

Thanks,
Mark

Re: OSS -> Jack

LGTrader
On 8/19/05, Lukas Erni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Freitag 19 August 2005 18:26 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> > For whatever reason I get no sound from Wine using the Alsa
> > driver but I do get sound using the OSS driver pointed at /dev/dsp
> > and /dev/mixer. Unfortunately this only works when Jack isn't
> > running.
>
> if you not already have, create a registy entry in wine for alsa.
>
> Create a new key called "ALSA". Within that, create a string value
> called "MidiPort" and give it the value of "128:0". Create another
> string value named "PlaybackDevice" and give it the value of
> "default".
>
> Then head to "HKCU\Software\Wine\Drivers" and for the "audio" entry,
> change it to say "alsa".
>
> read more:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-357932-highlight-alsa+wine.html
>
> if it helps, it still does not solve the issue with jack i think.
>
> lukas

Lukas,
   Thanks. There does not seem to be a regedit app for Cedega - only
for regular Wine and for Crossover Office:

mark@godzilla ~/.transgaming $ slocate regedit
/usr/bin/regedit
/usr/lib/wine/regedit.exe.so
/home/mark/.wine/drive_c/windows/regedit.exe
/home/mark/.cxoffice/dotwine/fake_windows/Windows/regedit.exe
/home/mark/cxoffice/bin/regedit
/home/mark/cxoffice/lib/wine/regedit.exe.so
/home/mark/cxoffice/support/templates/dotwine/fake_windows/Windows/regedit.exe
mark@godzilla ~/.transgaming $

I'll see if I can read the registry file by hand although I'm not
confident that it's a good idea for me to change anything.

Thanks,
Mark