[PATCH] make jack-transport start at frame zero.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[PATCH] make jack-transport start at frame zero.

torbenh

when locating the transport to 0 and starting it,
the first frame reported by the transport structure will be period size
and not zero.

But ardour assumes its zero and will lag one period behind.
resulting in misalignment of beats recorded from hydrogen for example.

this patch fixes it. but paul mentioned there could be some other
nastieness hiding. i did this fix a month ago, and dont remember very
well.

could you guys please look over it.


--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >>  http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel

jack-transport-start-at-zero-fix.diff (1K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [PATCH] make jack-transport start at frame zero.

Dominic Sacré
On 9/7/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> when locating the transport to 0 and starting it,
> the first frame reported by the transport structure will be period size
> and not zero.
>
> But ardour assumes its zero and will lag one period behind.
> resulting in misalignment of beats recorded from hydrogen for example.
>
> this patch fixes it. but paul mentioned there could be some other
> nastieness hiding. i did this fix a month ago, and dont remember very
> well.

Seems to work perfectly for me with your patch. This is something
that's really been bugging me for a long time...

Dominic

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [PATCH] make jack-transport start at frame zero.

torbenh
On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 11:58:48PM +0200, Dominic Sacr? wrote:

> On 9/7/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > when locating the transport to 0 and starting it,
> > the first frame reported by the transport structure will be period size
> > and not zero.
> >
> > But ardour assumes its zero and will lag one period behind.
> > resulting in misalignment of beats recorded from hydrogen for example.
> >
> > this patch fixes it. but paul mentioned there could be some other
> > nastieness hiding. i did this fix a month ago, and dont remember very
> > well.
>
> Seems to work perfectly for me with your patch. This is something
> that's really been bugging me for a long time...

yup. me too.
we can finally fix hydrogens transport code now.
it still does not support tempo changes...

but we need ardour to fill in bbt_offset for this.

>
> Dominic
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
> Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
> http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
> _______________________________________________
> Jackit-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jack-Devel] [PATCH] make jack-transport start at frame zero.

Pieter Palmers
[hidden email] wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 11:58:48PM +0200, Dominic Sacr? wrote:
>> On 9/7/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> when locating the transport to 0 and starting it,
>>> the first frame reported by the transport structure will be period size
>>> and not zero.
>>>
>>> But ardour assumes its zero and will lag one period behind.
>>> resulting in misalignment of beats recorded from hydrogen for example.
>>>
>>> this patch fixes it. but paul mentioned there could be some other
>>> nastieness hiding. i did this fix a month ago, and dont remember very
>>> well.
>> Seems to work perfectly for me with your patch. This is something
>> that's really been bugging me for a long time...
>
> yup. me too.
> we can finally fix hydrogens transport code now.
> it still does not support tempo changes...
>
> but we need ardour to fill in bbt_offset for this.

Another keepalive message for this patch...

what's the status?

Pieter
_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jack-Devel] [PATCH] make jack-transport start at frame zero.

Paul Davis
On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 12:21 +0100, Pieter Palmers wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 11:58:48PM +0200, Dominic Sacr? wrote:
> >> On 9/7/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>> when locating the transport to 0 and starting it,
> >>> the first frame reported by the transport structure will be period size
> >>> and not zero.
> >>>
> >>> But ardour assumes its zero and will lag one period behind.
> >>> resulting in misalignment of beats recorded from hydrogen for example.
> >>>
> >>> this patch fixes it. but paul mentioned there could be some other
> >>> nastieness hiding. i did this fix a month ago, and dont remember very
> >>> well.
> >> Seems to work perfectly for me with your patch. This is something
> >> that's really been bugging me for a long time...
> >
> > yup. me too.
> > we can finally fix hydrogens transport code now.
> > it still does not support tempo changes...
> >
> > but we need ardour to fill in bbt_offset for this.
>
> Another keepalive message for this patch...
>
> what's the status?

apply-able



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Microsoft
Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jack-Devel] [PATCH] make jack-transport start at frame zero.

Dominic Sacré
In reply to this post by Pieter Palmers
On Wednesday 21 November 2007 12:21:14 Pieter Palmers wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 11:58:48PM +0200, Dominic Sacr? wrote:
> >> On 9/7/07, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>> when locating the transport to 0 and starting it,
> >>> the first frame reported by the transport structure will be period size
> >>> and not zero.
> >>>
> >>> But ardour assumes its zero and will lag one period behind.
> >>> resulting in misalignment of beats recorded from hydrogen for example.
> >>>
> >>> this patch fixes it. but paul mentioned there could be some other
> >>> nastieness hiding. i did this fix a month ago, and dont remember very
> >>> well.
> >>
> >> Seems to work perfectly for me with your patch. This is something
> >> that's really been bugging me for a long time...
> >
> > yup. me too.
> > we can finally fix hydrogens transport code now.
> > it still does not support tempo changes...
> >
> > but we need ardour to fill in bbt_offset for this.
>
> Another keepalive message for this patch...
>
> what's the status?

There's still something wrong with jack transport sync. At first this patch
appeared to fix the sync issues for me, but after some more testing, it seems
the problem really lies elsewhere.

In fact, with an unpatched jack, I can't reproduce the "transport not starting
at zero" issue. The first time process() is called after starting jack
transport, the frame reported by jack_transport_query() is zero. After that,
it's incremented by periodsize on each process() call, as one would expect.

With Torben's patch, jack_transport_query() reports frame zero *twice*, before
it begins to increase normally.

So, while this patch does fix the issue of clients being off by one period (as
far as I can tell), I don't think it's the right solution, because now there's
a little hiccup right after starting transport rolling.


    Dominic
_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jack-Devel] [PATCH] make jack-transport start at frame zero.

Florian Paul Schmidt-2
On Sunday 02 December 2007, Dominic Sacré wrote:

> > what's the status?
>
> There's still something wrong with jack transport sync. At first this patch
> appeared to fix the sync issues for me, but after some more testing, it
> seems the problem really lies elsewhere.
>
> In fact, with an unpatched jack, I can't reproduce the "transport not
> starting at zero" issue. The first time process() is called after starting
> jack transport, the frame reported by jack_transport_query() is zero. After
> that, it's incremented by periodsize on each process() call, as one would
> expect.
>
> With Torben's patch, jack_transport_query() reports frame zero *twice*,
> before it begins to increase normally.
>
> So, while this patch does fix the issue of clients being off by one period
> (as far as I can tell), I don't think it's the right solution, because now
> there's a little hiccup right after starting transport rolling.

Is this still this old thing?:

http://www.nabble.com/jack-transport-oddness-t11880.html

Sadly the link posted by paul back then doesn't seem to work anymore (spam
victim?)..

Flo




--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: The Future of Linux Business White Paper
from Novell.  From the desktop to the data center, Linux is going
mainstream.  Let it simplify your IT future.
http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/8857-50307-18918-4
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Jack-Devel] [PATCH] make jack-transport start at frame zero.

Dominic Sacré
On Sunday 02 December 2007 22:01:52 Florian Schmidt wrote:

> On Sunday 02 December 2007, Dominic Sacré wrote:
> > > what's the status?
> >
> > There's still something wrong with jack transport sync. At first this
> > patch appeared to fix the sync issues for me, but after some more
> > testing, it seems the problem really lies elsewhere.
> >
> > In fact, with an unpatched jack, I can't reproduce the "transport not
> > starting at zero" issue. The first time process() is called after
> > starting jack transport, the frame reported by jack_transport_query() is
> > zero. After that, it's incremented by periodsize on each process() call,
> > as one would expect.
> >
> > With Torben's patch, jack_transport_query() reports frame zero *twice*,
> > before it begins to increase normally.
> >
> > So, while this patch does fix the issue of clients being off by one
> > period (as far as I can tell), I don't think it's the right solution,
> > because now there's a little hiccup right after starting transport
> > rolling.
>
> Is this still this old thing?:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/jack-transport-oddness-t11880.html

I think it is, more or less. The behaviour you described in your first post
(getting zero twice) is what I see *after* applying Torben's patch, so at
least something seems to have changed since then. But it still remains broken
in one way or another, and no one seems to care (or know?) enough about it
to fix it :/


Dominic

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
SF.Net email is sponsored by: The Future of Linux Business White Paper
from Novell.  From the desktop to the data center, Linux is going
mainstream.  Let it simplify your IT future.
http://altfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/8857-50307-18918-4
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel