Presonus Firepod, freebob, Ubuntu-Studio(Feisty)

Presonus Firepod, freebob, Ubuntu-Studio(Feisty)

Brett Marshall
First, many, many thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to get this project where it is.

I am pleased to report that I currently have Compaq Presario ASUS A8AE-LE, AMD Athlon64 3500+, 2gb ddr, onboard ATIx200, Presonus Firepod(2), running dual-boot winXP_Pro/Ubuntu-Studio Feisty.

Last night, following the udev configuration tutorial and the various info available at FFADO(FREEBOB),
I was rewarded with the "Blue sync-light".

After a few small adjustments in the JACK Setup panel, I was able to see input from a connected mp3 player (Firepod input 1) registering on the meters in a Rosegarden track.
I could not enable play-through with my current knowledge. I did, however, venture to record the input. It pleasantly played back perfectly.

I then turned my attention to acquiring/enabling Jack-compatible media players.

I have little (but rapidly growing) Linux experience, but after a successful introduction to the command line I begin to realize how powerful the OS is. Above is a list of my hardware. I also am currently duplicating the procedure on a Gateway MX8530 ( 1.73gb Pent M, 1 gb ram, 17" widescreen - won't run x without restricted drivers.

I'll report back on the notebook.

Anything I can do to help?

Best Regards,
Brett Marshall

--
Good judgment comes from bad experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

"I think it would be a good idea" - Mahatma Gandhi ),
when asked what he thought of Western civilization.

"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Man is the Only Animal that Blushes. Or needs to.- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Re: Presonus Firepod, freebob, Ubuntu-Studio(Feisty)

Pieter Palmers
Brett Marshall wrote:

> First, many, many thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to get this
> project where it is.
>
> I am pleased to report that I currently have Compaq Presario ASUS
> A8AE-LE, AMD Athlon64 3500+, 2gb ddr, onboard ATIx200, Presonus
> Firepod(2), running dual-boot winXP_Pro/Ubuntu-Studio Feisty.
>
> Last night, following the udev configuration
> <http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/UdevConfiguration> tutorial
> and the various info available at FFADO(FREEBOB),
> <http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page>
> I was rewarded with the "Blue sync-light".
>
> After a few small adjustments in the JACK Setup panel, I was able to see
> input from a connected mp3 player (Firepod input 1) registering on the
> meters in a Rosegarden track.
> I could not enable play-through with my current knowledge. I did,
> however, venture to record the input. It pleasantly played back perfectly.
It's always nice to hear the success stories :).

> I then turned my attention to acquiring/enabling Jack-compatible media
> players.

Aqualung is one of the better jack-enabled media players IMHO.

> I have little (but rapidly growing) Linux experience, but after a
> successful introduction to the command line I begin to realize how
> powerful the OS is. Above is a list of my hardware. I also am currently
> duplicating the procedure on a Gateway MX8530 ( 1.73gb Pent M, 1 gb ram,
> 17" widescreen - won't run x without restricted drivers.
>
> I'll report back on the notebook.
>
> Anything I can do to help?

Documentation is the weak point of almost all open source projects,
although users can play an important role in that. If you find that
there are things missing or incorrect in the documentation, please
provide us with an updated version.

Also send an email to Presonus telling them that you use Linux and that
you would like to see better support for their products. Such that they
know there are actually users running their stuff on Linux.

Greets,

Pieter

Brett Marshall wrote:

> RE: Aqualung is one of the better jack-enabled media players IMHO.
>
> Thanks for the "Aqualung" tip Pieter.
>
> I may be reinstalling my Ubuntu_Studio because of a stubborn program I
> can't get to uninstall.
>
> I have been keeping documentation of the process, but it is yet somewhat
> unorganized. I will look towards keeping better notes as I am
> a compulsive tweaker.
You can always allocate some documentation space for yourself at
subversion.ffado.org (use the username from www.ffado.org). Later on we
can organize it and propagate it to the main site.

> Also, is "realtime-monitoring" or "direct-monitoring" supposed to be
> functional and I just haven't quite gotten it yet, or is this indicative
> of the current state
> of the jack (or freebob?) project?
This is not functional yet.

> Also, I did send an email to Presonus requesting a copy of their 64-bit
> beta driver for the FIREPOD, informed them of my successful use of their
> product
> in both Linux and Winblows , lauded and praised their product-line
> (which I own about 1/3 of) and their dedication to customer
> satisfaction  ---  and then politely and
>  meaningfully encouraged their co-operation with the open source
> community developers.
Great, thanks!

Pieter

> [...]
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Download DB2 Express C - the FREE version of DB2 express and take
>      > control of your XML. No limits. Just data. Click to get it now.
>      > http://sourceforge.net/powerbar/db2/
>      >
>      >
>      >

> Good judgment comes from bad experience and a lot of that comes from bad
> judgment.
>
> "I think it would be a good idea" - Mahatma Gandhi ),
> when asked what he thought of Western civilization.
>
> "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" from The Art of
> War by Sun Tzu
>
> Man is the Only Animal that Blushes. Or needs to.- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Re: Presonus Firepod, freebob, Ubuntu-Studio(Feisty)

errorist
I'm just getting started, and I'm afraid this is a little over my head. (I am a windows smartie, but thus far totally limp & helpless in ubuntu).

I would love to get the blue light so that I can start making music. Can you give me some steps?

(Feisty, Firepod. I can open a terminal and cd and ls, and use the synaptic downloader, but that's about the extent of my skillset so far. I've set the Jack control panel to freebob, to no avail)

Thanks heaps!

Brett Marshall wrote
First, many, many thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to get this
project where it is.

I am pleased to report that I currently have Compaq Presario ASUS A8AE-LE,
AMD Athlon64 3500+, 2gb ddr, onboard ATIx200, Presonus Firepod(2), running
dual-boot winXP_Pro/Ubuntu-Studio Feisty.

Last night, following the udev
configuration<http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/UdevConfiguration>tutorial
and the various info available at
FFADO(FREEBOB), <http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/Main_Page>
[...]

Hm. Now I've got a blue light (how exciting) and jack lists the connections properly (i think), but no audio, and the system doesn't seem to know there's a sound card.

<quote author="errorist">