Python and Jack

Adam Casserly
Newbie programmer here, or rather a person interested in learning som programming. I have been looking around for a good language to get started on and have been unable to make a choice (c, c++, python or ruby?). My ultimate goal is to maybe be able to program audio and midi apps, or at least be able to understand a bit about the internals, and connect them through jack. Could anyone recommend a language? I am a little interested in python but am not sure weather it is possible to use with jack? I have seen pyjack but that seems to be a bit outdated.

Thx in advance

Re: Python and Jack

lars.luthman (Bugzilla)
On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 12:18 +0200, Adam Casserly wrote:
> Newbie programmer here, or rather a person interested in learning som
> programming. I have been looking around for a good language to get
> started on and have been unable to make a choice (c, c++, python or
> ruby?). My ultimate goal is to maybe be able to program audio and midi
> apps, or at least be able to understand a bit about the internals, and
> connect them through jack. Could anyone recommend a language? I am a
> little interested in python but am not sure weather it is possible to
> use with jack? I have seen pyjack but that seems to be a bit outdated.

C or C++ is the best choice here. Interpreted languages tend to be hard
to get to work in a realtime-safe way, and almost all the useful
libraries for accessing and manipulating audio and interfacing with the
rest of the system have C interfaces.

--ll

Re: Python and Jack

kaneli sanchez

Adam Casserly <[hidden email]> escribió:
Newbie programmer here, or rather a person interested in learning som programming. I have been looking around for a good language to get started on and have been unable to make a choice (c, c++, python or ruby?). My ultimate goal is to maybe be able to program audio and midi apps, or at least be able to understand a bit about the internals, and connect them through jack. Could anyone recommend a language? I am a little interested in python but am not sure weather it is possible to use with jack? I have seen pyjack but that seems to be a bit outdated.

Thx in advance

Hi Adam,
C is definitely a must for realtime audio applications. I also suggest that you consider learning a higher level language as well for the midi side of things. I personally like the lisp family of languages (scheme, common lisp etc..) You can write speed critical parts of code in C and call the functions from these languages. Common Lisp is a very good language for processing lists of data (such as midi notes and controllers) and can eventually be compiled and optimized for speed.

Sé un Mejor Amante del Cine
¿Quieres saber cómo? ¡Deja que otras personas te ayuden! .

Re: Python and Jack

Adam Casserly
Message: 4
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:07:57 +0200 (CEST)
From: kaneli sanchez <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Jackit-devel] Python and Jack

Adam Casserly <[hidden email]> escribi?:  Newbie programmer here, or rather a person interested in learning som programming. I have been looking around for a good language to get started on and have been unable to make a choice (c, c++, python or ruby?). My ultimate goal is to maybe be able to program audio and midi apps, or at least be able to understand a bit about the internals, and connect them through jack. Could anyone recommend a language? I am a little interested in python but am not sure weather it is possible to use with jack? I have seen pyjack but that seems to be a bit outdated.

Thx in advance
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://get.splunk.com/_______________________________________________Jackit-devel" target="_blank"> http://get.splunk.com/_______________________________________________
<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel" target="_blank">https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel

Hi Adam,
 C is definitely a must for realtime audio applications. I also suggest that you consider learning a higher level language as well for the midi side of things. I personally like the lisp family of languages (scheme, common lisp etc..) You can write speed critical parts of code in C and call the functions from these languages. Common Lisp is a very good language for processing lists of data (such as midi notes and controllers) and can eventually be compiled and optimized for speed.

Above a choice of common lisp is suggested but this unfortunately gives me no info on weather or not python would be a good language. Any comments on this? I have started to have a look at python and find it simple so far... any reason NOT to go with python?