Qjackctl can't connect to jack

Brett McCoy
I had a wierd thing happen yesterday... out of the blue, Qjackctl
suddenly can't connect to the jack server. I had't changed anything on
my system, but qjackctl stopped working correctly. Now, it actually
*starts* jackd, but then I keep getting messages saying that it can't
connect to jackd as a client. The messages window shows that jack has
started correctly.

I will further note that jackd starts correctly from all other evidence:
if I start it manually at the command-line or I let ardour start it
automatically.

Everything can connect to jackd without any problems, synchronization is
working between apps like Ardour and Rosegarden, and so on. So the
problem seems to be with qjackctl. qjackctl doesn't give any further
diagnostic information, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on
where else to look. Luckily, I can workaround the problem by starting
jack manually, but qjackctl is freaking convenient to use. :-)

-- Brett

Re: Qjackctl can't connect to jack

dmmcintyr (Bugzilla)
On Monday 14 November 2005 09:53 am, Brett McCoy wrote:

> Everything can connect to jackd without any problems, synchronization is
> working between apps like Ardour and Rosegarden, and so on. So the
> problem seems to be with qjackctl. qjackctl doesn't give any further
> diagnostic information, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on
> where else to look. Luckily, I can workaround the problem by starting
> jack manually, but qjackctl is freaking convenient to use. :-)

I've seen this.  I never did figure out a more polite way to cure it than
rebooting.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <[hidden email]>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek;  registered Linux user #243621

Silvan wrote:

>>Everything can connect to jackd without any problems, synchronization is
>>working between apps like Ardour and Rosegarden, and so on. So the
>>problem seems to be with qjackctl. qjackctl doesn't give any further
>>diagnostic information, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on
>>where else to look. Luckily, I can workaround the problem by starting
>>jack manually, but qjackctl is freaking convenient to use. :-)
>

> I've seen this.  I never did figure out a more polite way to cure it than
> rebooting.

Yeah, tried that a few times. Oh, well, there's always the good ol'
fashioned geeky way....

-- Brett

Re: Qjackctl can't connect to jack

Florian Paul Schmidt-2
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:36:34 -0500
Brett McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Silvan wrote:
> >>Everything can connect to jackd without any problems, synchronization is
> >>working between apps like Ardour and Rosegarden, and so on. So the
> >>problem seems to be with qjackctl. qjackctl doesn't give any further
> >>diagnostic information, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on
> >>where else to look. Luckily, I can workaround the problem by starting
> >>jack manually, but qjackctl is freaking convenient to use. :-)
> >

> > I've seen this.  I never did figure out a more polite way to cure it than
> > rebooting.
>
> Yeah, tried that a few times. Oh, well, there's always the good ol'
> fashioned geeky way....

Hmm,

ldd `which qjackctl`

ldd `which jackd`

_might_ prove useful. Let's see the output. Thanks.

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org

Florian Schmidt wrote:

>>Yeah, tried that a few times. Oh, well, there's always the good ol'
>>fashioned geeky way....
>

> Hmm,
>
> ldd `which qjackctl`
>
> ldd `which jackd`
>
> _might_ prove useful. Let's see the output. Thanks.

Bingo! That was it -- apparently I had installed the kdevelop package or
something like that to get Rosegarden built and it installed the
jackd-dev package.

Argh

It's working now.