RE: Jackit-devel digest, Vol 1 #1721 - 1 msg

RE: Jackit-devel digest, Vol 1 #1721 - 1 msg

Marc Brevoort
>I want to process inputs of different Soundcards in one program. But I
>don't want to build a cheap Multichannel Sound Card, I know that this
>doesn't work.

Right, it does not work because it requires synchronizing one soundcard
to another.

>I do not record anything. I have a input signal, do some
>processing and put it out.

On one and the same soundcard, I hope. Otherwise you would have to
synchronize the 'out' soundcard to the 'in' soundcard which gives the
same problem as people asking to sync multiple soundcards.

grtz
MRJB

Re: RE: Jackit-devel digest, Vol 1 #1721 - 1 msg

dmmcintyr (Bugzilla)
On Tuesday 02 August 2005 03:51 am, Marc Brevoort wrote:

> On one and the same soundcard, I hope. Otherwise you would have to
> synchronize the 'out' soundcard to the 'in' soundcard which gives the
> same problem as people asking to sync multiple soundcards.

Synchronize the different JACK servers?  I saw some old (2002ish maybe)
admonition about trying to get multiple inputs by syncing more than one
soundcard.  This thread makes me wonder...

I've got an emu10k1 and an ice1712.  I've got the ice1712 set to sync its
clock to the SPDIF in (in envy24control), and I've got an SPDIF link between
the two cards.  This gets me two analog inputs and a microphone input, plus a
hardware soundfont synth, and so far everything seems to work fine.  I'm just
running JACK on the ice1712 (hw:1), which has the handy consequence that with
no JACK in the way on hw:0, a lot of non-JACK things that haven't worked in
years are now making noise via the emu10k1 (scared the crap out of me first
time I surfed to a web page with a flash on it...  those things make noise?!)

It seems win win all around, but I haven't really had time to sit down and try
to do anything with this setup beyond verifying that I can hear various
things making noise on demand.

I'm going to write something detailing my experiences, and talking about
issues surrounding getting things set up to record some or all of these
inputs on demand, and I'm probably going to release this as an addendum to my
Rosegarden book.  As such, I'd like to make sure the scenario I outlined
above is a reasonable and sane way to set things up, and that there aren't
going to be any unintended consequences.  I don't want to feed people BS.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <[hidden email]>
Linux fanatic, and certified Geek;  registered Linux user #243621

Re: RE: Jackit-devel digest, Vol 1 #1721 - 1 msg

Lee Revell
On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 15:07 -0400, Silvan wrote:
> I'm just
> running JACK on the ice1712 (hw:1), which has the handy consequence
> that with
> no JACK in the way on hw:0, a lot of non-JACK things that haven't
> worked in
> years are now making noise via the emu10k1 (scared the crap out of me
> first
> time I surfed to a web page with a flash on it...  those things make
> noise?!)

Um, since the emu10k1 has hardware mixing, if it is hw:0 then whether or
not JACK is running on it should not affect the ability of Flash to play
sounds.

Lee

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 03:13 pm, you wrote:

> > time I surfed to a web page with a flash on it...  those things make
> > noise?!)
>
> Um, since the emu10k1 has hardware mixing, if it is hw:0 then whether or
> not JACK is running on it should not affect the ability of Flash to play
> sounds.

It does though, or did.  It only affected the flash player plugin, and
everything else (lots of things like XMMS are still running in their
out-of-the-box OSS-configured state) could avail itself of hardware mixing.

I'm quite positive of my observations though.  I used to have to shut off JACK
and all running instances of Konqueror and then start a new Konqueror without
JACK running before I could get the flash plugin to make noise.  I know this
because I have had rare occasion to watch a flash with noise on purpose, and
that is what I have always had to do in order to get it to work.  Shutting
off JACK alone was insufficient.

Until now, that is.  Now all those stupid spam things make noise too.  Joy.