Re: M-audio USB Audiophile

Lee Revell
Um, I did not mean for you to resend the original message, I wanted you
to resend the follow up and cc the list.

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 15:14 -0300, Cleber Dantas wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Im having some problems using the maudio audiophile usb with kubuntu
> linux.... (dapper)
>
> When i open the jack audio connection kit and click in setup, the alsa
> menu shows 4 options:
>
> Audiophile USB (tm)
> USB Audio
> USB Audio #1
> USB Audio #2
>
> When i select the first (Audiophile) and try to start its return the
> following error:
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> apparent rate = 44100
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|2|2|nomon|swmeter|-|
> 16bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
> Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 16bit sample format so JACK
> will try a 24bit format instead
> Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 24bit sample format so JACK
> will try a 32bit format instead
> Sorry. The audio interface "hw:0" doesn't support any of the hardware
> sample formats that JACK's alsa-driver can use.
> ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
> cannot load driver module alsa
> 21:30:43.812 JACK was stopped successfully.
> 21:30:45.592 Could not connect to JACK server as client. Please check
> the messages window for more info.

Isn't this fixed in the latest JACK version?

Lee

Re: M-audio USB Audiophile

Bugzilla from moron@industrial.org
> Um, I did not mean for you to resend the original message, I wanted you
> to resend the follow up and cc the list.

I thought that the M-audio USB Audiophile was totally unsupported under the 2.6 kernel due to its lack of documentation and totally mangled, non-standard USB implementation.  I know that about 1 or 2 years ago I had to sell mine for that very reason and in the past the feedback from the Jack folks was fairly deragotory with respects to using a USB interface at all.

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Midiman%2FMAudio&card=Audiophile+USB.&chip=&module=usb-audio

---------------
Other USB devices from M-Audio

The following devices work without a firmware download, but you need some recent version of ALSA to work around some bugs in their firmware, and there may still be some problems:

    * Quattro USB: 4 channels may not work; does not work with older 2.6 kernels
    * Audiophile USB: does not work with older 2.6 kernels
---------------

Note the "there may still be some problems".

At least last time I checked those problems were fatal.

Cheers

http://industrial.org

Re: M-audio USB Audiophile

Thibault LE MEUR
>> Im having some problems using the maudio audiophile usb with kubuntu
>> linux.... (dapper)
>>
>> When i open the jack audio connection kit and click in setup, the alsa
>> menu shows 4 options:
>>
>> Audiophile USB (tm)
>> USB Audio
>> USB Audio #1
>> USB Audio #2
>>
>> When i select the first (Audiophile) and try to start its return the
>> following error:
>>

> Isn't this fixed in the latest JACK version?
>
> Lee

Lee is right. The problem is due to the big-endianess of the device.
The latest version of JACK includes a fix for this.

However, if you can't afford changing your Jack version, you can use
the Alsa "plug" work-around: just use plughw:1,0 for the Analog Output
and plughw:1,1 for the Analog Input instead of hw:1,0 and hw:1,1.

Note that if you're recording from the Analog Input without any valid
Digital Signal plugged on your SPDIF input you should use a kernel with
Alsa >= 1.0.11. It includes a patch that will help you correctly
initialize the device.

I've made a document for this device: see
http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel?f=6776946eaf9f;file=Documentation/Audiophile-Usb.txt;style=gitweb

Hope this helps.

Thibault