Re: Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”

Tom Williams
I don't suppose anyone saw this question and has any information whatsoever on dealing with this "protocol" difference?

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Tom Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm trying to run jack between two computers. 

System 1:


tobago$ jackd -R -d alsa -P hw:0 -C hw:1 -p 1024
tobago$ jack_load netadapter

System 2:


trinidad$ jackd -R -d alsa
trinidad$ jack_load netmanager

At this point, jackd starts printing on loop:


Waiting for a slave...
Error : slave is running with a different protocol tobago
Can't init new net master...

I checked the version of jackd on each system; one is 1.9.9 with protocol 8, the other is 1.9.9.5 with protocol 8. So I'm doubtful that's the issue.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

--
Tom Williams
Computer Science Dept.
Tufts University
(315) 368-4993


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”

Chris Caudle
On Tue, May 21, 2013 12:09 pm, Tom Williams wrote:

>>  I'm trying to run jack between two computers.
>>
>> System 1:
>>
>> tobago$ jackd -R -d alsa -P hw:0 -C hw:1 -p 1024
>> tobago$ jack_load netadapter
>>
>> System 2:
>>
>> trinidad$ jackd -R -d alsa
>> trinidad$ jack_load netmanager

Was there a typo in the original email?  Both systems are shown as using
alsa as the backend ("-d alsa") but I thought you should have -d alsa on
the master and -d net or -d netone on the slave.

--
Chris Caudle


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”

Tom Williams
The problem is that I need audio in and out on both systems;
System 1 in -> vocoder -> System 2 out
System 2 in -> System 1 out

Using alsa on both ends worked (as far as I can recall) on both systems last time I had to do this, so I don't know what's different.

I tried switching from alsa to net on the slave, but ended up with the same error message.


On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Chris Caudle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, May 21, 2013 12:09 pm, Tom Williams wrote:
>>  I'm trying to run jack between two computers.
>>
>> System 1:
>>
>> tobago$ jackd -R -d alsa -P hw:0 -C hw:1 -p 1024
>> tobago$ jack_load netadapter
>>
>> System 2:
>>
>> trinidad$ jackd -R -d alsa
>> trinidad$ jack_load netmanager

Was there a typo in the original email?  Both systems are shown as using
alsa as the backend ("-d alsa") but I thought you should have -d alsa on
the master and -d net or -d netone on the slave.

--
Chris Caudle


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org



--
Tom Williams
Computer Science Dept.
Tufts University
(315) 368-4993


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”

tweed
Use alsa_in, alsa_out on slave instead of jackd -dalsa.

--- On Tue, 5/21/13, Tom Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

From: Tom Williams <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Jack-Devel] Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”
To: "chris" <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 1:39 PM

The problem is that I need audio in and out on both systems;
System 1 in -> vocoder -> System 2 out
System 2 in -> System 1 out

Using alsa on both ends worked (as far as I can recall) on both systems last time I had to do this, so I don't know what's different.

I tried switching from alsa to net on the slave, but ended up with the same error message.


On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Chris Caudle <chris@...> wrote:
On Tue, May 21, 2013 12:09 pm, Tom Williams wrote:
>>  I'm trying to run jack between two computers.
>>
>> System 1:
>>
>> tobago$ jackd -R -d alsa -P hw:0 -C hw:1 -p 1024
>> tobago$ jack_load netadapter
>>
>> System 2:
>>
>> trinidad$ jackd -R -d alsa
>> trinidad$ jack_load netmanager

Was there a typo in the original email?  Both systems are shown as using
alsa as the backend ("-d alsa") but I thought you should have -d alsa on
the master and -d net or -d netone on the slave.


Chris Caudle


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
Jack-Devel@...
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org



--
Tom Williams
Computer Science Dept.
Tufts University
(315) 368-4993


-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
Jack-Devel@...
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”

Tom Williams
Thanks for the advice!
On the slave, I'm now doing:

jackd -R -d net -p 1024
alsa_in  -d hw:1 -p 1024
alsa_out -d hw:0 -p 1024
sudo jack_load netadapter

but I'm still getting the same "slave is running with a different protocol tobago" message when I try to run the netmanager on the master.

:/


On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM, tweed <[hidden email]> wrote:
Use alsa_in, alsa_out on slave instead of jackd -dalsa.

--- On Tue, 5/21/13, Tom Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

From: Tom Williams <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Jack-Devel] Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”
To: "chris" <[hidden email]>
Cc: [hidden email]
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 1:39 PM

The problem is that I need audio in and out on both systems;
System 1 in -> vocoder -> System 2 out
System 2 in -> System 1 out

Using alsa on both ends worked (as far as I can recall) on both systems last time I had to do this, so I don't know what's different.

I tried switching from alsa to net on the slave, but ended up with the same error message.


On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Chris Caudle <chris@...> wrote:
On Tue, May 21, 2013 12:09 pm, Tom Williams wrote:
>>  I'm trying to run jack between two computers.
>>
>> System 1:
>>
>> tobago$ jackd -R -d alsa -P hw:0 -C hw:1 -p 1024
>> tobago$ jack_load netadapter
>>
>> System 2:
>>
>> trinidad$ jackd -R -d alsa
>> trinidad$ jack_load netmanager

Was there a typo in the original email?  Both systems are shown as using
alsa as the backend ("-d alsa") but I thought you should have -d alsa on
the master and -d net or -d netone on the slave.


Chris Caudle


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
Jack-Devel@...
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org



--
Tom Williams
Computer Science Dept.
Tufts University
<a href="tel:%28315%29%20368-4993" value="+13153684993" target="_blank">(315) 368-4993


-----Inline Attachment Follows-----


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
Jack-Devel@...
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org




--
Tom Williams
Computer Science Dept.
Tufts University
(315) 368-4993


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”

Adrian Knoth
In reply to this post by Tom Williams
On 05/21/2013 07:09 PM, Tom Williams wrote:

>> Error : slave is running with a different protocol tobago
>> Can't init new net master...
>>
>> I checked the version of jackd on each system; one is 1.9.9 with
>> protocol 8, the other is 1.9.9.5 with protocol 8. So I'm doubtful
>> that's the issue.

Please update to the same version to eliminate this assumption.

It makes absolutely no sense to discuss the issue any further until you
run the same versions. If netjack is unhappy about versions, there's
nothing you can do about it.

If it's still unhappy when the versions do not differ, netjack is broken
and we have to fix it.


Cheers
_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”

Jörn Nettingsmeier-5
On 05/24/2013 06:54 PM, Adrian Knoth wrote:

> On 05/21/2013 07:09 PM, Tom Williams wrote:
>
>>> Error : slave is running with a different protocol tobago
>>> Can't init new net master...
>>>
>>> I checked the version of jackd on each system; one is 1.9.9 with
>>> protocol 8, the other is 1.9.9.5 with protocol 8. So I'm doubtful
>>> that's the issue.
>
> Please update to the same version to eliminate this assumption.
>
> It makes absolutely no sense to discuss the issue any further until you
> run the same versions. If netjack is unhappy about versions, there's
> nothing you can do about it.
>
> If it's still unhappy when the versions do not differ, netjack is broken
> and we have to fix it.

well, there is certainly something wrong with netjack there: no point in
using and reporting a protocol version (which tom reports to be
identical) if at the same time the jackd versions on both ends have to
match exactly. so either ditch that protocol version message so as not
to confuse users, or fix the compatibility issue so that all netjack
instances claiming to support version 8 actually work together.
plus the versions tom uses are more or less identical, they only differ
in micro-release, which shouldn't break compatibility at all.

i wonder: is that jack protocol version just the internal one defined in
jack.h? and is there a separate one for the netjack layer? this needs to
be clarified.




--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio)
Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”

Stéphane Letz

Le 25 mai 2013 à 12:25, Jörn Nettingsmeier <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On 05/24/2013 06:54 PM, Adrian Knoth wrote:
>> On 05/21/2013 07:09 PM, Tom Williams wrote:
>>
>>>> Error : slave is running with a different protocol tobago
>>>> Can't init new net master...
>>>>
>>>> I checked the version of jackd on each system; one is 1.9.9 with
>>>> protocol 8, the other is 1.9.9.5 with protocol 8. So I'm doubtful
>>>> that's the issue.
>>
>> Please update to the same version to eliminate this assumption.
>>
>> It makes absolutely no sense to discuss the issue any further until you
>> run the same versions. If netjack is unhappy about versions, there's
>> nothing you can do about it.
>>
>> If it's still unhappy when the versions do not differ, netjack is broken
>> and we have to fix it.
>
> well, there is certainly something wrong with netjack there: no point in using and reporting a protocol version (which tom reports to be identical) if at the same time the jackd versions on both ends have to match exactly. so either ditch that protocol version message so as not to confuse users, or fix the compatibility issue so that all netjack instances claiming to support version 8 actually work together.

> plus the versions tom uses are more or less identical, they only differ in micro-release, which shouldn't break compatibility at all.
>
> i wonder: is that jack protocol version just the internal one defined in jack.h? and is there a separate one for the netjack layer? this needs to be clarified.
>
>
>
BTW : 8 is wrong ; netjack2 protocol version is currently 6, and (obviously..) different from server/client protocol.

Stéphane


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Netjack error: “slave is running with a different protocol”

david64
Hello,

I have two machines.

1. Client: windows 7 64 bit
C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack>jackd --version
...
jackdmp version 1.9.9.5 tmpdir server protocol 8

2. Server: OS X 10.9.2
Davids-MacBook-Pro:~ daweed$ jackd --version
...
jackdmp version 1.9.10 tmpdir /tmp protocol 8

On server I get the same "protocol" error message and the slave cannot connect:

Davids-MacBook-Pro:~ daweed$ jack_load netmanager
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2013 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Separated input = 'Built-in Microphone'
Separated output = 'Built-in Output'
Input channel = 0 ==> JACK input port = 0
Input channel = 1 ==> JACK input port = 1
JACK output port = 0 ==> output channel = 0
JACK output port = 1 ==> output channel = 1
CoreAudio driver is running...
Starting Jack NetManager
Listening on '225.3.19.154:19000'
netmanager is running.
client name = netmanager
Davids-MacBook-Pro:~ daweed$ Error : slave 'EliteBook8440p' is running with a different protocol 6 != 7
Can't init new NetMaster...
Waiting for a slave...


On both machines I use the latest version of jack. It seems the OS X version have higher protocol number than the win version. I cannot downgrade jack on OS X to have lower protocol because this is the only jack version which compatible with OS X 10.9. On windows I already use the latest which still have only the protocol version 6. However, both jacks tell they use protocol version 8.

How can I resolve this? Which versions shall I install?

Thank you!
David