Re: Using JACK 1.0 as input to legacy ALSA/OSS app

Re: Using JACK 1.0 as input to legacy ALSA/OSS app

George Morgan-4
On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:05 PM, George Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Re: Using JACK 1.0 as input to legacy ALSA/OSS app

Paul Davis
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM, George Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After much banging of my head on the wall I contacted the vendor and found
> out that their application expects OSS.  So I tried oss2jack and even tried
> to throw some noise in there with jnoise as a test but when I fire up the
> commercial closed source app I find that oss2jack doesn't implement one of
> the ioctls that it is looking for :-(

the OSS docs used to make it very clear that an app that cannot
tolerate missing ioctl's for a given device is incorrectly
implemented. i don't know for sure if they still say that. what ioctl
call is missing? there's every chance that an app which bombs because
of this will bomb because of something else too ....

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM, George Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After much banging of my head on the wall I contacted the vendor and found
> out that their application expects OSS.  So I tried oss2jack and even tried
> to throw some noise in there with jnoise as a test but when I fire up the
> commercial closed source app I find that oss2jack doesn't implement one of
> the ioctls that it is looking for :-(

the OSS docs used to make it very clear that an app that cannot
tolerate missing ioctl's for a given device is incorrectly
implemented. i don't know for sure if they still say that. what ioctl
call is missing? there's every chance that an app which bombs because
of this will bomb because of something else too ....

I dug around in the linux kernel source (for the kernel on my target system) and dug around in oss2jack and added some additional debug and have successfully implemented the missing ioctls.  I tried emailing people involved with oss2jack but the email bounced.  I'd like to submit a patch or a new version somewhere.  I think the application I am trying to support is very old? so it uses some very old? ioctl calls but they weren't particularly hard to implement.  Since this software is jack related maybe it can find a home on the jack website???

Here is a list of what I added:

SOUND_PCM_READ_RATE
SOUND_PCM_READ_BITS
SOUND_PCM_READ_CHANNELS
SOUND_MIXER_READ_RECSRC
SOUND_MIXER_WRITE_RECSRC
SOUND_MIXER_INFO  (actually this was implemented already but some code calls this ioctl on the /dev/dsp device instead of the /dev/mixer device so I rerouted these calls to the mixer ioctl handler -- did it the same way it was done in the ALSA emulation of OSS)

George Morgan

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM, George Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I dug around in the linux kernel source (for the kernel on my target system)
> and dug around in oss2jack and added some additional debug and have
> successfully implemented the missing ioctls.  I tried emailing people
> involved with oss2jack but the email bounced.  I'd like to submit a patch or
> a new version somewhere.  I think the application I am trying to support is
> very old? so it uses some very old? ioctl calls but they weren't
> particularly hard to implement.  Since this software is jack related maybe
> it can find a home on the jack website???
>
> Here is a list of what I added:
>
> SOUND_PCM_READ_RATE
> SOUND_PCM_READ_BITS
> SOUND_PCM_READ_CHANNELS
> SOUND_MIXER_READ_RECSRC
> SOUND_MIXER_WRITE_RECSRC
> SOUND_MIXER_INFO  (actually this was implemented already but some code calls
> this ioctl on the /dev/dsp device instead of the /dev/mixer device so I
> rerouted these calls to the mixer ioctl handler -- did it the same way it
> was done in the ALSA emulation of OSS)

I'm going this up for a vote on this mailing list. I'll follow the
wisdom of the list. But first I'm going to state my position.

I believe that the state of audio APIs on Linux was done long term
damage by ALSA's decision to support the OSS API, damage that we've
barely recovered from. I don't believe that JACK should play any
expanded role in supporting this API, and that we should do everything
we can to explain that apps that use this API are simply anachronistic
and need to be updated.

But throw in your votes, and I'll make space for it on jackaudio.org
if there is support for it.

Using Jack

Henry W. Peters
I use Debian Squeeze. I have been using Jack & various audio programs
for a while now. This morning, Squeeze did a massive "upgrade," the
short of is, the sad redundant cry; no audio... Rosegarden crashes, Real
Audio (Helix 11), crashes, Jack will not start up (qjackctl), Ardour can
not open (start) Jack, & probably other problems I have not yet
encountered... I do believe Jack was one of the programs "upgrading."

I loaded Jack in a terminal, & this was what I got:

Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably
alter the line:
      @audio   -  memlock    unlimited
in your /etc/limits.conf to read:
      @audio   -  memlock    1141431
jackd 0.118.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn
and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

usage: jackd [ --no-realtime OR -r ]
              [ --realtime OR -R [ --realtime-priority OR -P priority ] ]
       (the two previous arguments are mutually exclusive. The default
is --realtime)
              [ --name OR -n server-name ]
              [ --no-mlock OR -m ]
              [ --unlock OR -u ]
              [ --timeout OR -t client-timeout-in-msecs ]
              [ --port-max OR -p maximum-number-of-ports]
              [ --debug-timer OR -D ]
              [ --no-sanity-checks OR -N ]
              [ --verbose OR -v ]
              [ --clocksource OR -c [ c(ycle) | h(pet) | s(ystem) ]
              [ --replace-registry ]
              [ --silent OR -s ]
              [ --version OR -V ]
              [ --nozombies OR -Z ]
          -d backend [ ... backend args ... ]
              Available backends may include: alsa, dummy, freebob,
firewire, net, oss, sun, or portaudio.

        jackd -d backend --help
              to display options for each backend

Any help here would be appreciated...

Henry

Re: Using Jack

Paul Davis
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Henry W. Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use Debian Squeeze. I have been using Jack & various audio programs for a
> while now. This morning, Squeeze did a massive "upgrade," the short of is,
> the sad redundant cry; no audio... Rosegarden crashes, Real Audio (Helix
> 11), crashes, Jack will not start up (qjackctl), Ardour can not open (start)
> Jack, & probably other problems I have not yet encountered... I do believe
> Jack was one of the programs "upgrading."

> I loaded Jack in a terminal, & this was what I got:
>
> Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably alter
> the line:
>     @audio   -  memlock    unlimited
> in your /etc/limits.conf to read:
>     @audio   -  memlock    1141431
> jackd 0.118.0
> Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and
> others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

you haven't provide any information on the complete command line you
used to try to start JACK.

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 08:10:03PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> I believe that the state of audio APIs on Linux was done long term
> damage by ALSA's decision to support the OSS API, damage that we've
> barely recovered from.

This may be true, but I believe that at least as much damage was
done by some choices made within ALSA itself, and for the same
reasons as why it included OSS emulation. Which is to accomodate
applicatione devs, if necessary by bending over backwards, instead
of encouraging or forcing them to do things properly.

This is exactly the opposite of what Jack provides:

1. Separation of H/W configuration (which is centralised)
   and access to PCM streams (all apps),
2. One method to access the audio data: synchronous and
   memory mapped, nothing else,
3. One sample format and sample rate.

yet with all these 'limitations' Jack is used by far more
non-trivial audio apps than ALSA is or will ever be.

Regarding (3): it makes much more sense for an app to do its own
resampling and format conversions (in particular if library support
is provided for such things), than to try and create devices that
try to anticipate whatever an app could ever need. ALSA's promises
and performance break down completely when you try to combine its
'plugs' - no surprise here if you consider what it would take to
make an arbitrary network of such plugs to support all options
for all clients. If anything should remain of ALSA, it is its
basic hardware abstraction layer. All the rest was and is (IMHO)
a mistake.

> we should do everything we can to explain that apps that use this
> API are simply anachronistic and need to be updated.

As in interface to be used by apps OSS could be called 'anachronistic',
in particular if you compare it to Jack. For the rest I'm not so sure.
I can't help but having the impression (from everything I've been
reading on OSS in this and other places) that much of the antagony
against OSS is not motivated by its technical merits but by ideology
and politics.

For a Jack user it probably makes no difference at all if jackd runs
on top of ALSA or OSS. Both will do the job. If I wanted to use some
HW for which ALSA has no driver but OSS has, I'd use OSS.

Ciao,

There are three of them, and Alleline.

Re: Using Jack

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:21 PM, Henry W. Peters <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sorry, I meant to include the command (which may have been insufficient, as
> I have never really tried to start Jack this way): I simply input 'jackd' (&
> then I'm pasting the whole output again, as I omitted the version, etc.).

Please don't remove the mailing list from the replies, because other
people may have input.

You don't run jackd with just the command "jackd". The program
*requires* a set of arguments. Most people run it using a graphical
front end. QJackctl (which some distributions call "JACK Control") is
the most popular. If you want to run it from the command line, you
need to supply at least the minimal set of arguments. The output you
received described what options are available.

  jackd -d alsa -d hw:0

is typically the shortest command for JACK.

Re: Using Jack

Henry W. Peters
Apologies for the redundancy, but let me try this again, as I omitted
the top part of the output I meant to send (pasted below).

I have been using Debian Squeeze. Yesterday morning, Squeeze did a
massive "upgrade," Jack was one of the programs "upgraded." I now, after
this "upgrade," after a couple of years of more or less successfully
running various audio/video programs, some of which use Jack, have no sound.

& yes, I have been using Qjackctl to load Jack, that is, when the
programs I use (Rosegarden, Ardour, etc), does not load it for me. This
(below pasted output) was a rudimentary & possibly meaningless effort to
start tracing the problems I was having... with audio.

In addition to no audio (& even possibly unrelated), is the problem of
Real Audio 11 (Helix<--- which will not run with Jack, I think it uses
OSS (?)) & Rosegarden now crash on me (they both worked relatively well
before this previous mentioned "upgrade").

& I do not even know if the problem really is with Jack, I just
otherwise, really do not have a clue (where to look, or what to do).
Henry

= = = = = = = = =
$jackd

On 02/07/2011 10:45 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Henry W. Peters<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I use Debian Squeeze. I have been using Jack&  various audio programs for a
>> while now. This morning, Squeeze did a massive "upgrade," the short of is,
>> the sad redundant cry; no audio... Rosegarden crashes, Real Audio (Helix
>> 11), crashes, Jack will not start up (qjackctl), Ardour can not open (start)
>> Jack,&  probably other problems I have not yet encountered... I do believe
>> Jack was one of the programs "upgrading."
>>

>> I loaded Jack in a terminal,&  this was what I got:
>>
>> Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably alter
>> the line:
>>      @audio   -  memlock    unlimited
>> in your /etc/limits.conf to read:
>>      @audio   -  memlock    1141431
>> jackd 0.118.0
>> Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and
>> others.
>> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>>
> you haven't provide any information on the complete command line you
> used to try to start JACK.

Re: Using Jack

Gabriel M. Beddingfield-2

Hi Henry,

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Henry W. Peters wrote:

> I have been using Debian Squeeze. Yesterday morning, Squeeze did a massive
> "upgrade," Jack was one of the programs "upgraded." I now, after this
> "upgrade," after a couple of years of more or less successfully running
> various audio/video programs, some of which use Jack, have no sound.

Squeeze had some major changes in audio... things like
pulseaudio and kernel cgroups.  Have you tried contacting
the debian multimedia devs?  I've seen them fix setup issues
like this very quickly.

Make sure your volume is all the way up:

    $ alsamixer

Now make sure nothing is using the sound card, and then try
this:

    $ jackd -r -d alsa -P -d hw:0 -r 48000 -p 2048 -n 2

If that fails, try:

    $ pasuspender jackd -r -d alsa -P -d hw:0 -r 48000 -p 2048 -n 2

Then open up a JACK application and see if you get audio
playback.  (Note that Firefox, Helix, Amarok, etc... none of
those are JACK applications.  Use something like
ZynAddSubFx.)

If you get no sound, make sure the outputs are connected to
the sound card in qjackctl.

-gabriel

Re: Using Jack

Henry W. Peters
I have sent some several messages regarding a problem with sound on my
Debian Squeeze set-up *after* a massive recent "upgrade;" no resolution
so far. I have been doing some sniffing around in my system & I
discovered, via the Synaptic Package Manager that it appears I have some
different versions of 'jack' installed:

jackd   (version 5)
jackd1 (version 1:0.118+svn3796-8)
jackd1-firewire (version 1:0.118+svn3796-8)

I have been (appropriately or not) been admonished several times in the
past, that multiple versions of 'jack' are *not* OK.  I did not install
the firewire version for sure... as I do not use firewire (I have a echo
mia sound card... & it was working fine before the above mentioned
upgrade... & historically speaking, I had a 'jackd2' install at an
upgrade... & removing it allowed me to have audio function once again).

Please advise (perhaps these versions work together?).

Thanks much.

Henry

On 02/07/2011 10:42 PM, Henry W. Peters wrote:
> I use Debian Squeeze. I have been using Jack & various audio programs
> for a while now. This morning, Squeeze did a massive "upgrade," the
> short of is, the sad redundant cry; no audio... Rosegarden crashes,
> Real Audio (Helix 11), crashes, Jack will not start up (qjackctl),
> Ardour can not open (start) Jack, & probably other problems I have not
> yet encountered... I do believe Jack was one of the programs "upgrading."

Re: Using Jack

Dragan Noveski
On 20.02.2011 17:11, Henry W. Peters wrote:
> I have sent some several messages regarding a problem with sound on my
> Debian Squeeze set-up *after* a massive recent "upgrade;" no
> resolution so far. I have been doing some sniffing around in my system
> & I discovered, via the Synaptic Package Manager that it appears I
> have some different versions of 'jack' installed:
hallo,
those are not different versions.

> jackd   (version 5)
this is only a pseudo package. just keep it.
> jackd1 (version 1:0.118+svn3796-8)
this is the actually jackd package, keep it for sure.
> jackd1-firewire (version 1:0.118+svn3796-8)
this is the fw part, you only need if you are using fw. perhaps you can
simple remove it, but i do not think that your problem is here.

how are you starting jackd? are you using qjackctl for that?

cheers,
doc

> I have been (appropriately or not) been admonished several times in
> the past, that multiple versions of 'jack' are *not* OK.  I did not
> install the firewire version for sure... as I do not use firewire (I
> have a echo mia sound card... & it was working fine before the above
> mentioned upgrade... & historically speaking, I had a 'jackd2' install
> at an upgrade... & removing it allowed me to have audio function once
> again).
>
> Please advise (perhaps these versions work together?).
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Henry
>
> On 02/07/2011 10:42 PM, Henry W. Peters wrote:
>> I use Debian Squeeze. I have been using Jack & various audio programs
>> for a while now. This morning, Squeeze did a massive "upgrade," the
>> short of is, the sad redundant cry; no audio... Rosegarden crashes,
>> Real Audio (Helix 11), crashes, Jack will not start up (qjackctl),
>> Ardour can not open (start) Jack, & probably other problems I have
>> not yet encountered... I do believe Jack was one of the programs
>> "upgrading."

Re: Using Jack

Henry W. Peters
Thanks for reply.

Yes, I use 'qjackctl' to start 'jack,' that is, (usually) unless the audio/midi program does it for me...  (Rosegarden, Ardour, etc.).  & a strange thing to me, is that if I load 'ZynAddSubFX,' I can get 'jack' to start up, & midi to function (record/play), but no audio.

I removed the 'fw' version of jackd, & you were correct, this did not solve the problem.

I sent this before, but I'll send the out put from 'qjackctl' from when I try to start 'jack' from it:

11:34:58.847 Patchbay deactivated.

11:34:59.018 Statistics reset.

11:34:59.107 ALSA connection graph change.

11:34:59.969 ALSA connection change.

11:35:00.201 ALSA connection graph change.

11:35:03.953 Startup script...

11:35:03.955 artsshell -q terminate

sh: artsshell: not found

11:35:04.358 Startup script terminated with exit status=32512.

11:35:04.359 JACK is starting...

11:35:04.359 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2

jackd 0.118.0

Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably alter the line:

@audio - memlock unlimited

in your /etc/limits.conf to read:

@audio - memlock 1141431

11:35:04.380 JACK was started with PID=2280.

apparent rate = 44100

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

control device hw:0

configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 2 periods

ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for capture

ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

ALSA: cannot set hardware parameters for playback

ALSA: cannot configure playback channel

cannot load driver module alsa

11:35:04.561 JACK was stopped successfully.

11:35:04.561 Post-shutdown script...

11:35:04.563 killall jackd

jackd: no process found

11:35:04.985 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.

11:35:06.451
Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed.
- Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for
more info.

It appears that the "driver alsa module" will not load. I have been checking my alsa configurations (I have now a file with my alsa system info, I can send if it may seem relevant).

One other matter has occurred to me, my system did a 'fsck' this morning after 24 boots... & came up with some errors that I do not remember seeing before... (could there be a bug via the "upgrade" someplace else that effects this situation? I think there is a log some place in this regard, but do not remember how to access it (?)).

To be clear, I had functioning sound until this "upgrade."

Henry

On 20.02.2011 17:49, Henry W. Peters wrote:
[...]

JACK compiled with System V
SHM support.

apparent rate = 44100

creating alsa driver ...
hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

control device hw:0

configuring for 44100Hz,
period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 2 periods

ALSA: final selected sample
format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for
capture

ALSA: final selected sample
format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for
playback

ALSA: cannot set hardware
parameters for playback

this is where your probem is....
are you sure that you are using the right device (hw:0) ?

in qjack you click the 'configuration' button, which will open a config window for you.
there you could try sth different than hw:0. look at the input/output device or click at the '>' buttons to choose one.

the output of the command:

cat /proc/asound/cards

could also tell us more.

[...]

after an upgrade, everything can happen, like things stop working etc.

cheers,
doc

On 02/20/2011 12:00 PM, Dragan Noveski wrote:

>>> ALSA: cannot set hardware
>>> parameters for playback
>>>

> playback this is where your probem is....
> are you sure that you are using the right device (hw:0) ?
>
> in qjack you click the 'configuration' button, which will open a
> config window for you.
> there you could try sth different than hw:0. look at the input/output
> device or click at the '>' buttons to choose one.
>
> the output of the command:
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
>
> could also tell us more.

OK Dragan, here it is:

# cat /proc/asound/cards
  0 [Mia            ]: Echo_Mia - Mia
                       Mia rev.1 (DSP56361) at 0xfe900000 irq 17

& as to the i/o settings, I've tried every parameter combination I had
(or could think of), & all with more or less the same result (jack will
not start). I think they were, when all worked, at 'default,' which was,
I think 'hw:0' (not really sure right now if input needed to be
different than output (?)).

Thanks again for helps here, hope this is some (further) help.

Henry

Re: Using Jack

Dragan Noveski
On 20.02.2011 18:29, Henry W. Peters wrote:

>> playback this is where your probem is....
>> are you sure that you are using the right device (hw:0) ?
>>
>> in qjack you click the 'configuration' button, which will open a
>> config window for you.
>> there you could try sth different than hw:0. look at the input/output
>> device or click at the '>' buttons to choose one.
>>
>> the output of the command:
>>
>> cat /proc/asound/cards
>>
>> could also tell us more.
>>

> OK Dragan, here it is:
>
> # cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [Mia            ]: Echo_Mia - Mia
>                       Mia rev.1 (DSP56361) at 0xfe900000 irq 17
>
> & as to the i/o settings, I've tried every parameter combination I had
> (or could think of), & all with more or less the same result (jack
> will not start). I think they were, when all worked, at 'default,'
> which was, I think 'hw:0' (not really sure right now if input needed
> to be different than output (?)).
>
> Thanks again for helps here, hope this is some (further) help.
>
> Henry

ok, this tell us that you only have 1 device in which case hw:0 is right.
so, the problems are perhaps coming from some alsa driver stuff...
what could give us more info is to make a fresh reboot and than type
dmesg into a terminal and look in the output about anything related to
alsa / echo-mia. there might be some info about mising firmware, driver
or what ever is causing your problems.

cheers,
doc

Re: Using Jack

Diego Simak-2
Hello, sorry about this obvious question but are you getting any sound from your machine just using ALSA o Pulseaudio, without running JACK?
Maybe your issue is more related to ALSA than a JACK problem,

On 02/20/2011 01:36 PM, Dragan Noveski wrote:

>> OK Dragan, here it is:
>>
>> # cat /proc/asound/cards
>>  0 [Mia            ]: Echo_Mia - Mia
>>                       Mia rev.1 (DSP56361) at 0xfe900000 irq 17
>>

> ok, this tell us that you only have 1 device in which case hw:0 is right.
> so, the problems are perhaps coming from some alsa driver stuff...
> what could give us more info is to make a fresh reboot and than type
> dmesg into a terminal and look in the output about anything related to
> alsa / echo-mia. there might be some info about mising firmware,
> driver or what ever is causing your problems.
>
> cheers,
> doc

Here is the output from the command 'dmesg,' & done with a fresh boot
(this is new to me, so I really do not know what it represents, exactly,
though I can see it is a record of connection with various of my
hardware... & I do not see the mia board in this, & also some errors (or
failures?)).

Henry

P.s., I thought of reinstalling my various alsa drivers, except I did
not (yet) explore the ramifications of possible dependency problems (as
you are probably well aware, can be a terrific nightmare). I'll be glad
to bring this information to the alsa list, if you think it a more
appropriate place (i.e., is more alsa related). I sent a message to them
this morning, no reply, but I only had some sketchy information, &
suggestions on or off list, would be heartily welcomed.

  $ dmesg
[    1.734064] sata_sis 0000:00:05.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low)
-> IRQ 17
[    1.734071] sata_sis 0000:00:05.0: Detected SiS 180/181/964 chipset
in SATA mode
[    1.740158] scsi2 : sata_sis
[    1.742371] scsi3 : sata_sis
[    1.743030] ata3: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xd400 ctl 0xd000 bmdma
0xc000 irq 17
[    1.743036] ata4: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0xc800 ctl 0xc400 bmdma
0xc008 irq 17
[    1.876017] usb 2-3: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and
address 2
[    2.060039] ata3: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    2.090074] usb 2-3: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c01a
[    2.090078] usb 2-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2,
SerialNumber=0
[    2.090082] usb 2-3: Product: USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
[    2.090085] usb 2-3: Manufacturer: Logitech
[    2.090200] usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[    2.107092] ata3.00: ATA-7: ST3500630AS, 3.AAK, max UDMA/133
[    2.107099] ata3.00: 976773168 sectors, multi 16: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)
[    2.171447] ata3.00: configured for UDMA/133
[    2.171579] scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ATA      ST3500630AS
3.AA PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[    2.488044] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    2.512211] ata4.00: ATAPI: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L, BL05, max UDMA/100
[    2.544222] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    2.546110] scsi 3:0:0:0: CD-ROM            LITE-ON  DVDRW LH-20A1L
BL05 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[    2.557161] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 78165360 512-byte logical blocks: (40.0
GB/37.2 GiB)
[    2.557218] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[    2.557223] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[    2.557247] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache:
enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[    2.557396]  sda:
[    2.557613] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 976773168 512-byte logical blocks: (500
GB/465 GiB)
[    2.557665] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[    2.557669] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[    2.557692] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache:
enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[    2.557818]  sdb:sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 10x/52x writer cd/rw xa/form2
cdda tray
[    2.568440] Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[    2.568952] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
[    2.570231] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    2.570504] ata4: hard resetting link
[    2.573032] usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
[    2.577767]  sdb1 sdb2 <
[    2.579572] input: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/usb2/2-3/2-3:1.0/input/input1
[    2.579763] generic-usb 0003:046D:C01A.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID
v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse] on usb-0000:00:03.0-3/input0
[    2.579804] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[    2.580058] usbhid: v2.6:USB HID core driver
[    2.581475]  sda1 sda2
[    2.582159] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
[    2.599011]  sdb5 sdb6 >
[    2.615790] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
[    2.888048] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    2.944226] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    2.945012] ata4: EH complete
[    2.946216] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    2.946487] ata4: hard resetting link
[    3.264049] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    3.320225] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    3.320940] ata4: EH complete
[    3.322158] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    3.322422] ata4: hard resetting link
[    3.640040] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    3.696224] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    3.696927] ata4: EH complete
[    3.698575] sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw
xa/form2 cdda tray
[    3.698715] sr 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1
[    3.709223] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
[    3.709945] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
[    3.710543] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[    3.710658] sr 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 5
[    3.778340] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    3.778613] ata4: hard resetting link
[    4.096044] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    4.152223] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    4.152927] ata4: EH complete
[    4.154129] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    4.154391] ata4: hard resetting link
[    4.472042] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    4.528224] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    4.528922] ata4: EH complete
[    4.530117] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    4.530375] ata4: hard resetting link
[    4.848040] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    4.904222] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    4.904920] ata4: EH complete
[    4.907496] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    4.907757] ata4: hard resetting link
[    5.224043] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    5.280224] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    5.280929] ata4: EH complete
[    5.282132] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    5.282392] ata4: hard resetting link
[    5.600040] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    5.656222] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    5.656922] ata4: EH complete
[    5.658121] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    5.658377] ata4: hard resetting link
[    5.976040] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    6.032224] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    6.032924] ata4: EH complete
[    6.034075] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    6.034328] ata4.00: BMDMA stat 0x5
[    6.034466] ata4: hard resetting link
[    6.352041] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    6.408222] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    6.408923] ata4: EH complete
[    6.446158] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
[    6.446866] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.15.0-ioctl (2009-04-01)
initialised: [hidden email]
[    6.455742] PM: Starting manual resume from disk
[    6.455749] PM: Resume from partition 8:22
[    6.455752] PM: Checking hibernation image.
[    6.456085] PM: Error -22 checking image file
[    6.456088] PM: Resume from disk failed.
[    6.493705] kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
[    6.493719] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
[    8.123518] udev[312]: starting version 164
[    8.674338] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input2
[    8.676648] pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
[    8.795418] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    8.795692] ata4: hard resetting link
[    8.817314] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.4
[    8.918553] input: Power Button as
/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input3
[    8.918766] ACPI: Power Button [PWRB]
[    8.918911] input: Power Button as
/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input4
[    8.918995] ACPI: Power Button [PWRF]
[    8.936630] processor LNXCPU:00: registered as cooling_device0
[    9.112074] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    9.168305] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    9.169041] ata4: EH complete
[    9.170257] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    9.170528] ata4: hard resetting link
[    9.461061] parport_pc 00:08: reported by Plug and Play ACPI
[    9.461139] parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
[    9.488669] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    9.544346] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    9.545071] ata4: EH complete
[    9.546380] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    9.546732] ata4: hard resetting link
[    9.864050] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[    9.880153] Echoaudio Mia 0000:00:0a.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level,
low) -> IRQ 17
[    9.880198] Echoaudio Mia 0000:00:0a.0: firmware: requesting
ea/mia_dsp.fw
[    9.920251] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[    9.920970] ata4: EH complete
[    9.922194] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[    9.922464] ata4: hard resetting link
[    9.980039] Echoaudio Mia 0000:00:0a.0: firmware: requesting
ea/loader_dsp.fw
[   10.042400] Card registered: Mia rev.1 (DSP56361) at 0xfe900000 irq 17
[   10.240066] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   10.296298] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   10.297051] ata4: EH complete
[   10.298293] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   10.298565] ata4: hard resetting link
[   10.616074] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   10.672227] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   10.672948] ata4: EH complete
[   10.674167] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   10.674437] ata4: hard resetting link
[   10.992042] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   11.048224] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   11.048924] ata4: EH complete
[   11.069965] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   11.070240] ata4: hard resetting link
[   11.388042] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   11.444222] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   11.444930] ata4: EH complete
[   11.446132] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   11.446374] ata4: hard resetting link
[   11.764050] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   11.820223] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   11.820935] ata4: EH complete
[   11.822150] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   11.822414] ata4: hard resetting link
[   12.140040] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   12.196222] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   12.196922] ata4: EH complete
[   12.199507] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   12.199766] ata4: hard resetting link
[   12.516041] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   12.572234] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   12.572951] ata4: EH complete
[   12.574167] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   12.574432] ata4: hard resetting link
[   12.892042] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   12.948222] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   12.948923] ata4: EH complete
[   12.950122] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   12.950379] ata4: hard resetting link
[   13.268041] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   13.324224] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   13.324925] ata4: EH complete
[   13.326089] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   13.326341] ata4.00: BMDMA stat 0x5
[   13.326479] ata4: hard resetting link
[   13.644052] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   13.700224] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   13.700946] ata4: EH complete
[   14.117625] Adding 2915756k swap on /dev/sdb6.  Priority:-1 extents:1
across:2915756k
[   14.346371] EXT3 FS on sdb5, internal journal
[   14.481400] loop: module loaded
[   15.172164] fuse init (API version 7.13)
[   18.795464] NET4: DECnet for Linux: V.2.5.68s (C) 1995-2003 Linux
DECnet Project Team
[   18.796161] DECnet: Routing cache hash table of 1024 buckets, 8Kbytes
[   18.796171] NET: Registered protocol family 12
[   19.896938] eth0: Media Link On 100mbps full-duplex
[   26.516487] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
[   26.742766] ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
[   28.572007] eth0: no IPv6 routers present
[   29.518550] powernow-k8: Found 1 Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M Processor
3000+ processors (1 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
[   29.518644] powernow-k8:    0 : fid 0x8 (1600 MHz), vid 0x6
[   29.518648] powernow-k8:    1 : fid 0x0 (800 MHz), vid 0x18
[   29.588124] Marking TSC unstable due to cpufreq changes
[   29.588204] Switching to clocksource acpi_pm
[   43.458816] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   43.458832] ata4: hard resetting link
[   43.776507] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   43.832298] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   43.833023] ata4: EH complete
[   43.837075] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   43.837092] ata4: hard resetting link
[   44.156095] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   44.215500] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   44.216236] ata4: EH complete
[   44.217465] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   44.217479] ata4: hard resetting link
[   44.536080] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   44.592288] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   44.593013] ata4: EH complete
[   45.459370] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   45.459396] ata4: hard resetting link
[   45.776089] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   45.832310] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   45.833042] ata4: EH complete
[   45.834285] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   45.834305] ata4: hard resetting link
[   46.152077] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   46.208453] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   46.209178] ata4: EH complete
[   46.210426] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   46.210447] ata4: hard resetting link
[   46.528115] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   46.584352] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   46.585091] ata4: EH complete
[   47.460519] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   47.460544] ata4: hard resetting link
[   47.784096] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   47.840249] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   47.840959] ata4: EH complete
[   47.842175] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   47.842188] ata4: hard resetting link
[   48.160075] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   48.216344] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   48.217084] ata4: EH complete
[   48.218537] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   48.218561] ata4: hard resetting link
[   48.536060] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   48.592251] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   48.592959] ata4: EH complete
[   49.461709] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   49.461734] ata4: hard resetting link
[   49.780056] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   49.836345] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   49.837154] ata4: EH complete
[   49.838418] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   49.838440] ata4: hard resetting link
[   50.156083] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   50.212362] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   50.213113] ata4: EH complete
[   50.214383] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   50.214406] ata4: hard resetting link
[   50.532075] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   50.588326] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   50.589063] ata4: EH complete
[   51.460395] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   51.460418] ata4: hard resetting link
[   51.780058] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   51.836508] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   51.837245] ata4: EH complete
[   51.838500] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   51.838523] ata4: hard resetting link
[   52.156131] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   52.212312] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   52.213058] ata4: EH complete
[   52.214330] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   52.214351] ata4: hard resetting link
[   52.536052] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   52.592241] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   52.592954] ata4: EH complete
[   53.461334] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   53.461360] ata4: hard resetting link
[   53.780104] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   53.836309] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   53.837041] ata4: EH complete
[   53.838291] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   53.838313] ata4: hard resetting link
[   54.156349] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   54.212326] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   54.213055] ata4: EH complete
[   54.214298] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   54.214318] ata4: hard resetting link
[   54.532071] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   54.588344] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   54.589095] ata4: EH complete
[   55.460536] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   55.460562] ata4: hard resetting link
[   55.780081] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   55.836647] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   55.837718] ata4: EH complete
[   55.839028] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   55.839052] ata4: hard resetting link
[   56.156196] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   56.212344] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   56.213110] ata4: EH complete
[   56.214418] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   56.214443] ata4: hard resetting link
[   56.536093] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   56.592275] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   56.593001] ata4: EH complete
[   57.460283] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   57.460298] ata4: hard resetting link
[   57.785189] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   57.840269] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   57.841007] ata4: EH complete
[   57.842321] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   57.842337] ata4: hard resetting link
[   58.160082] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   58.216333] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   58.217066] ata4: EH complete
[   58.218328] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   58.218351] ata4: hard resetting link
[   58.536140] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   58.592330] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   58.593063] ata4: EH complete
[   59.460824] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   59.460848] ata4: hard resetting link
[   59.780078] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   59.836252] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   59.837650] ata4: EH complete
[   59.838908] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   59.838921] ata4: hard resetting link
[   60.156081] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   60.212350] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   60.213089] ata4: EH complete
[   60.214361] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   60.214384] ata4: hard resetting link
[   60.532087] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   60.588270] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   60.588993] ata4: EH complete
[   61.460908] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   61.460923] ata4: hard resetting link
[   61.781121] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   61.836310] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   61.837042] ata4: EH complete
[   61.838295] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   61.838315] ata4: hard resetting link
[   62.156079] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   62.212315] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   62.213048] ata4: EH complete
[   62.214300] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   62.214322] ata4: hard resetting link
[   62.532092] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   62.589132] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   62.589865] ata4: EH complete
[   63.460677] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   63.460702] ata4: hard resetting link
[   63.780102] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   63.836326] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   63.837060] ata4: EH complete
[   63.838331] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   63.838353] ata4: hard resetting link
[   64.156117] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   64.212319] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   64.213064] ata4: EH complete
[   64.214345] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   64.214366] ata4: hard resetting link
[   64.532081] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   64.588326] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   64.589059] ata4: EH complete
[   65.460715] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   65.460740] ata4: hard resetting link
[   65.780107] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   65.836317] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   65.837054] ata4: EH complete
[   65.838327] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   65.838349] ata4: hard resetting link
[   66.156101] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   66.212365] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   66.213131] ata4: EH complete
[   66.214782] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   66.214805] ata4: hard resetting link
[   66.532086] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   66.588266] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   66.588990] ata4: EH complete
[   67.462894] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   67.462918] ata4: hard resetting link
[   67.780097] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   67.836339] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   67.837087] ata4: EH complete
[   67.838345] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   67.838366] ata4: hard resetting link
[   68.156089] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   68.212259] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   68.212975] ata4: EH complete
[   68.214197] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   68.214210] ata4: hard resetting link
[   68.532097] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   68.588299] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   68.589033] ata4: EH complete
[   69.461925] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   69.461941] ata4: hard resetting link
[   69.780089] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   69.836277] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   69.837019] ata4: EH complete
[   69.838627] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   69.838642] ata4: hard resetting link
[   70.156091] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   70.212261] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   70.212986] ata4: EH complete
[   70.214212] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   70.214225] ata4: hard resetting link
[   70.532081] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   70.588297] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   70.589042] ata4: EH complete
[   71.463339] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   71.463364] ata4: hard resetting link
[   71.784067] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   71.840293] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   71.841010] ata4: EH complete
[   71.842228] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   71.842241] ata4: hard resetting link
[   72.160099] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   72.216346] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   72.217107] ata4: EH complete
[   72.218394] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   72.218417] ata4: hard resetting link
[   72.536077] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   72.592286] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   72.593017] ata4: EH complete
[   73.460818] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   73.460843] ata4: hard resetting link
[   73.780071] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   73.836302] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   73.837041] ata4: EH complete
[   73.838295] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   73.838316] ata4: hard resetting link
[   74.156070] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   74.212285] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   74.213017] ata4: EH complete
[   74.214274] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   74.214293] ata4: hard resetting link
[   74.532071] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   74.588323] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   74.589066] ata4: EH complete
[   75.462872] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   75.462897] ata4: hard resetting link
[   75.780072] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   75.836303] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   75.837041] ata4: EH complete
[   75.838300] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   75.838321] ata4: hard resetting link
[   76.156072] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   76.212282] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   76.213015] ata4: EH complete
[   76.214273] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   76.214292] ata4: hard resetting link
[   76.532071] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   76.588283] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   76.589015] ata4: EH complete
[   77.462880] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   77.462903] ata4: hard resetting link
[   77.780067] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   77.836305] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   77.837044] ata4: EH complete
[   77.838301] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   77.838322] ata4: hard resetting link
[   78.156072] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   78.212281] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   78.213012] ata4: EH complete
[   78.214270] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   78.214290] ata4: hard resetting link
[   78.532087] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   78.588288] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   78.589049] ata4: EH complete
[   79.464165] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   79.464190] ata4: hard resetting link
[   79.784174] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   79.840301] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   79.841042] ata4: EH complete
[   79.842308] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   79.842329] ata4: hard resetting link
[   80.160073] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   80.216288] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   80.217021] ata4: EH complete
[   80.218282] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   80.218303] ata4: hard resetting link
[   80.536071] ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
[   80.592281] ata4.00: configured for UDMA/100
[   80.593014] ata4: EH complete
[   81.460835] ata4.00: exception Emask 0x100 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
[   81.460859] ata4: hard resetting link

Re: Using Jack

Dragan Noveski
On 20.02.2011 22:04, Henry W. Peters wrote:

> Here is the output from the command 'dmesg,' & done with a fresh boot
> (this is new to me, so I really do not know what it represents,
> exactly, though I can see it is a record of connection with various of
> my hardware... & I do not see the mia board in this, & also some
> errors (or failures?)).
>

> Henry
>
> P.s., I thought of reinstalling my various alsa drivers, except I did
> not (yet) explore the ramifications of possible dependency problems
> (as you are probably well aware, can be a terrific nightmare). I'll be
> glad to bring this information to the alsa list, if you think it a
> more appropriate place (i.e., is more alsa related). I sent a message
> to them this morning, no reply, but I only had some sketchy
> information, & suggestions on or off list, would be heartily welcomed.
>
>  $ dmesg

[...]
> [    9.880153] Echoaudio Mia 0000:00:0a.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level,
> low) -> IRQ 17
> [    9.880198] Echoaudio Mia 0000:00:0a.0: firmware: requesting
> ea/mia_dsp.fw

[...]
> [    9.980039] Echoaudio Mia 0000:00:0a.0: firmware: requesting
> ea/loader_dsp.fw
> [   10.042400] Card registered: Mia rev.1 (DSP56361) at 0xfe900000 irq 17

there it is, the card seemed to be loaded properly.

but really, what happens if you play some audio w/out jack ?

try sth like:

aplay /path/to/some/wav/file

cheers,
doc

Re: Using Jack

Dragan Noveski
On 20.02.2011 22:27, Henry W. Peters wrote:

> On 02/20/2011 04:12 PM, Dragan Noveski wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> [    9.880153] Echoaudio Mia 0000:00:0a.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17
>>> (level, low) -> IRQ 17
>>> [    9.880198] Echoaudio Mia 0000:00:0a.0: firmware: requesting
>>> ea/mia_dsp.fw
>>>
>> [...]
>>> [    9.980039] Echoaudio Mia 0000:00:0a.0: firmware: requesting
>>> ea/loader_dsp.fw
>>> [   10.042400] Card registered: Mia rev.1 (DSP56361) at 0xfe900000
>>> irq 17
>>
>> there it is, the card seemed to be loaded properly.
>>
>> but really, what happens if you play some audio w/out jack ?
>>
>> try sth like:
>>
>> aplay /path/to/some/wav/file
>>

>> cheers,
>> doc
>>

> Missed it... oh well, thanks.
>
> This is what happens, & no sound.
>
> Henry
>
> ~$ aplay /home/henry/Music/LouisArmstrong.2.wav
> Playing WAVE '/home/henry/Music/LouisArmstrong.2.wav' : Signed 16 bit
> Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
> aplay: set_params:1116: Unable to install hw params:
> ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
> FORMAT:  S16_LE
> SUBFORMAT:  STD
> SAMPLE_BITS: 16
> FRAME_BITS: 32
> CHANNELS: 2
> RATE: 44100
> PERIOD_TIME: (124807 124808)
> PERIOD_SIZE: 5504
> PERIOD_BYTES: 22016
> PERIODS: 4
> BUFFER_TIME: (499229 499230)
> BUFFER_SIZE: 22016
> BUFFER_BYTES: 88064
> TICK_TIME: 0

ok, than we know for pretty sure, that this is not a jack problem, but
an alsa one.

so what happens if you go to synaptic and reinstall everything about
alsa (libasound...., alsa-...)
just rightclick on the packages names and choose 'install again' ot what
ever it is called.

cheers,
doc