Re: jackdmp-0.41

Stéphane Letz

Le 3 déc. 05 à 13:49, nick mainsbridge a écrit :

> hi stephane,
>
> i posted to jackit list, but i think the mail isn't going to make it.
>
> firstly, a difference between jackd and jackdmp with my soundcard (26
> inputs & outputs)
>
> [nick@datablender linux]$ jackdmp -R -d alsa
> jackdmp 0.41
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2005 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> JACK compiled with POSIX SHM support
> control device hw:0
> ALSA: cannot set channel count to 2 for capture
> ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
> Segmentation fault
> [nick@datablender linux]$

Hi Nick,

First of course a "segmentation fault" is never correct....

> with jackd, i would get a running jack with 26 in/outputs.
> with jackdmp, specifying -o 26 -i 26 works fine, however.
> is ther a way of defaulting to the number of in/outputs available from
> alsa (instead of 2)?

Yes, this is a known problem. I have to fix that.

> also, using ardour, i noticed that when disconnecting physical ports,
> the gui does not register that the connection is gone until a refresh.
> the connection change is registered in patchage immediately, though.
> perhaps this has exposed a bug in ardour?

This is a semantic change in the connect/disconnect operation is that
they are "asynchronous" in jackdmp. The effective connection/
disconnections happens next cycle. But an application  that use the
"graph reorder" callback to refresh the new state should behave
correctly since the callback is called when the graph effectively
change (If not , then it's a bug...)

I don't know how this is done is ardour actually...

> here's a trivial patch to stop a deprecation warning with my gcc (Red
> Hat 4.0.2-8). maybe the ldconfig thing will help someone, i don't
> know :)
>
> thankyou very much for jackdmp. it works very well here.

Thanks for the patch and the feedback!

Stephane