SCHED_RR / SCHED_XX question

LGTrader
Hi,
   I've not been able, as of yet, to successfully build a kernel.org
kernel with rt patches so I've moved on for now and am trying Con
Kolivas's kernel ck-sources.

   QUESTION: If I start jackd using schedtool and run it as a SCHED_RR
process am I supposed to also start all jack apps using schedtool and
make them SCHED_RR also?

   I'm unclear as to whether All of Ardour needs to be running
SCHED_RR or whether it's sufficient to only be running jackd as
SCHED_RR/

Thanks,
Mark

Re: SCHED_RR / SCHED_XX question

Lee Revell
On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 17:28 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>    I've not been able, as of yet, to successfully build a kernel.org
> kernel with rt patches so I've moved on for now and am trying Con
> Kolivas's kernel ck-sources.

Why not?  What happens?  Maybe you're applying the patch to 2.6.13.x
rather than 2.6.13?

>    QUESTION: If I start jackd using schedtool and run it as a SCHED_RR
> process am I supposed to also start all jack apps using schedtool and
> make them SCHED_RR also?
>
>    I'm unclear as to whether All of Ardour needs to be running
> SCHED_RR or whether it's sufficient to only be running jackd as
> SCHED_RR/

This won't work at all.  SCHED_RR has completely different semantics
from SCHED_FIFO.

Lee

Re: SCHED_RR / SCHED_XX question

Stéphane Letz

Le 27 sept. 05 à 04:07, Lee Revell a écrit :

> On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 17:28 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>    I've not been able, as of yet, to successfully build a kernel.org
>> kernel with rt patches so I've moved on for now and am trying Con
>> Kolivas's kernel ck-sources.
>>

> Why not?  What happens?  Maybe you're applying the patch to 2.6.13.x
> rather than 2.6.13?
>

>>    QUESTION: If I start jackd using schedtool and run it as a
>> SCHED_RR
>> process am I supposed to also start all jack apps using schedtool and
>> make them SCHED_RR also?
>>
>>    I'm unclear as to whether All of Ardour needs to be running
>> SCHED_RR or whether it's sufficient to only be running jackd as
>> SCHED_RR/
>>

> This won't work at all.  SCHED_RR has completely different semantics
> from SCHED_FIFO.
>
> Lee

Why won't it work?

SCHED_RR real-time processes are supposed to run until their time-
slice is finished or if they finish their job themselves. In the
context of Jack, running SCHED_FIFO. or SCHED_RR should be the same
*when* all Jack clients do their job in time and possibly would allow
a blocked Jack client to not lock the system more than its time
slice.... or I am missing something ?

Stephane