Sound card refuses to start with n=3

sonicbhoc (Bugzilla)
Hey, I have an integrated Intel HDA sound card, and I HATE it. If it wasn't
integrated into this laptop I would've gotten a better one... but I don't
have the money right now. I really want a not-crappy USB sound card to work
with, but I have to pay for college right now... I can't buy much of
anything.

Anyway, when I start my card normally with n=2, I get hundreds of xruns in
under a minute. No mater what I do, there's always over one hundred xruns if
I have JACK going on for more than a minute.

If I start my card normally with n=3, I get this:
---------------
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|3|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 3 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 3 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: got smaller periods 2 than 3 for playback
ALSA: cannot configure playback channel
cannot load driver module alsa
no message buffer overruns
---------------

If I start it in capture-only mode, I get this:

----------------
delay of 21324.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 21231.000;
restart ...
----------------
a billion times.

And I can't even start it in playback-only mode because I get the same error
as the first one.

So, I heard about this one alsa kernel option called "position_fix". Setting
it gave me an invalid argument error and the module wouldn't load. Talk about
annoying!

Is there anything I can do to get this stupid card working?

Re: Sound card refuses to start with n=3

Sampo Savolainen
Quoting Charles Joseph Christie II <[hidden email]>:

> Hey, I have an integrated Intel HDA sound card, and I HATE it. If it
> wasn't
> integrated into this laptop I would've gotten a better one... but I don't
>
> have the money right now. I really want a not-crappy USB sound card to
> work
> with, but I have to pay for college right now... I can't buy much of
> anything.

My intel-hda (stac9200 in a dell d820) had it's kinks but works now very
well. Look into alsamixer and the capture page (press F4) and check if you
have any mixer elements enabled for recording.

The device and/or driver in my laptop does not return any samples to
software using it if there are no mixer elements enabled for recording. This
results in jackd crashing and burning as it needs to run samples to both
playback and from capture in totaly sync.

 Sampo

Re: Sound card refuses to start with n=3

Sampo Savolainen
(please use reply to all when replying to list messages)

Quoting Charles Joseph Christie II <[hidden email]>:

> On Wednesday 06 June 2007 02:17:34 am you wrote:
> > Quoting Charles Joseph Christie II <[hidden email]>:
> > My intel-hda (stac9200 in a dell d820) had it's kinks but works now
> very
> > well. Look into alsamixer and the capture page (press F4) and check if
> you
> > have any mixer elements enabled for recording.
> >
> > The device and/or driver in my laptop does not return any samples to
> > software using it if there are no mixer elements enabled for
> recording.
> > This results in jackd crashing and burning as it needs to run samples
> > both playback and from capture in totaly sync.
> >

> >  Sampo
>

> I tried that and I got this (again)
>
> apparent rate = 48000
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|-|1024|3|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 3 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
> ALSA: got smaller periods 2 than 3 for playback
> ALSA: cannot configure playback channel
> cannot load driver module alsa
> no message buffer overruns

What if you try -n2 or -n4 ?

  Sampo

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 08:24:28 am Sampo Savolainen wrote:

> (please use reply to all when replying to list messages)
>
> Quoting Charles Joseph Christie II <[hidden email]>:
> > On Wednesday 06 June 2007 02:17:34 am you wrote:
> > > Quoting Charles Joseph Christie II <[hidden email]>:
> > > My intel-hda (stac9200 in a dell d820) had it's kinks but works now
> >
> > very
> >
> > > well. Look into alsamixer and the capture page (press F4) and check if
> >
> > you
> >
> > > have any mixer elements enabled for recording.
> > >
> > > The device and/or driver in my laptop does not return any samples to
> > > software using it if there are no mixer elements enabled for
> >
> > recording.
> >
> > > This results in jackd crashing and burning as it needs to run samples

> > > both playback and from capture in totaly sync.
> > >

> > >  Sampo
> >
> > I tried that and I got this (again)
> >
> > apparent rate = 48000
> > creating alsa driver ... hw:0|-|1024|3|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> > control device hw:0
> > configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 3 periods
> > ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
> > ALSA: got smaller periods 2 than 3 for playback
> > ALSA: cannot configure playback channel
> > cannot load driver module alsa
> > no message buffer overruns
>
> What if you try -n2 or -n4 ?
>
>   Sampo

n2 gives me a billion xruns and n4 gives me the same error, but instead it
says "smaller periods 2 than 4 for playback".

I hate this thing right now :V

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 09:25:10 am Charles Joseph Christie II wrote:

> On Wednesday 06 June 2007 08:24:28 am Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> > (please use reply to all when replying to list messages)
> >
> > Quoting Charles Joseph Christie II <[hidden email]>:
> > >
> > > very

> > > you

> > > recording.

> > > I tried that and I got this (again)
> > >
> > > apparent rate = 48000
> > > creating alsa driver ... hw:0|-|1024|3|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> > > control device hw:0
> > > configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 3 periods
> > > ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
> > > ALSA: got smaller periods 2 than 3 for playback
> > > ALSA: cannot configure playback channel
> > > cannot load driver module alsa
> > > no message buffer overruns
> >
> > What if you try -n2 or -n4 ?
> >
> >   Sampo
>
> n2 gives me a billion xruns and n4 gives me the same error, but instead it
> says "smaller periods 2 than 4 for playback".
>
> I hate this thing right now :V

Well? anybody got an answer for this? I'd really like to start making music...

Re: Sound card refuses to start with n=3

Sampo Savolainen
Quoting Charles Joseph Christie II <[hidden email]>:

> Well? anybody got an answer for this? I'd really like to start making
> music...

Difficult to say. The intel-hda implementations seem to be quite bad and
thus the driver doesn't work well for many chips. Which kernel are you
running and which alsa version (the file /proc/asound/version should be able
to tell you that) does it have?

You should try upgrading the kernel to the newest one available for your
distribution. A more drastic approach would be to compile the newest kernel
for yourself (almost all distributions have documentation on how to do this)
or if you're still having trouble - you could try compiling the newest alsa
version (this is more difficult than upgrading your kernel and thus getting
a newer version of alsa).

  Sampo

On Thursday 14 June 2007 07:27:52 am Sampo Savolainen wrote:

> Quoting Charles Joseph Christie II <[hidden email]>:
> > Well? anybody got an answer for this? I'd really like to start making
> > music...
>
> Difficult to say. The intel-hda implementations seem to be quite bad and
> thus the driver doesn't work well for many chips. Which kernel are you
> running and which alsa version (the file /proc/asound/version should be
> able to tell you that) does it have?
>
> You should try upgrading the kernel to the newest one available for your
> distribution. A more drastic approach would be to compile the newest kernel
> for yourself (almost all distributions have documentation on how to do
> this) or if you're still having trouble - you could try compiling the
> newest alsa version (this is more difficult than upgrading your kernel and
> thus getting a newer version of alsa).
>
>   Sampo

I use Gentoo, all of my kernels are compiled by myself. ;)

I use the out-of-kernel alsa driver modules (version 1.0.14_rc3).

This is the first sound card that gave me trouble in Linux. Generally, I find
that most hardware, especially intel ones, have very good support. It's a
shame that this driver doesn't work right with my card.

Wasn't there some sort of option called "position-fix" that could be used with
this driver? I saw in many places that it was an option for intel-hda driver,
but when I use it I always get an invalid argument error.

Re: Sound card refuses to start with n=3

Sampo Savolainen
Quoting Charles Joseph Christie II <[hidden email]>:

> On Thursday 14 June 2007 07:27:52 am Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> > Quoting Charles Joseph Christie II <[hidden email]>:
> > > Well? anybody got an answer for this? I'd really like to start
> making
> > > music...
> >
> > Difficult to say. The intel-hda implementations seem to be quite bad
> and
> > thus the driver doesn't work well for many chips. Which kernel are you
> > running and which alsa version (the file /proc/asound/version should
> be
> > able to tell you that) does it have?
> >
> > You should try upgrading the kernel to the newest one available for
> your
> > distribution. A more drastic approach would be to compile the newest
> kernel
> > for yourself (almost all distributions have documentation on how to do
> > this) or if you're still having trouble - you could try compiling the
> > newest alsa version (this is more difficult than upgrading your kernel
> and
> > thus getting a newer version of alsa).
> >
> >   Sampo
>
> I use Gentoo, all of my kernels are compiled by myself. ;)
>
> I use the out-of-kernel alsa driver modules (version 1.0.14_rc3).
>
> This is the first sound card that gave me trouble in Linux. Generally, I
> find
> that most hardware, especially intel ones, have very good support. It's a
>
> shame that this driver doesn't work right with my card.
>
> Wasn't there some sort of option called "position-fix" that could be used
> with
> this driver? I saw in many places that it was an option for intel-hda
> driver,
> but when I use it I always get an invalid argument error.

Check the module options with modinfo snd-hda-intel

At least on my system, there position_fix parameter has multiple values:
parm:           position_fix:Fix DMA pointer (0 = auto, 1 = none, 2 =
POSBUF, 3 = FIFO size). (int)

Did you try all of them?

I guess the "model" parameter is also something to try, but i'm not sure
what it controls exactly and where to find the values you can try it with
(use the source).

  Sampo

Re: Sound card refuses to start with n=3

James Courtier-Dutton
Charles Joseph Christie II wrote:

> Hey, I have an integrated Intel HDA sound card, and I HATE it. If it wasn't
> integrated into this laptop I would've gotten a better one... but I don't
> have the money right now. I really want a not-crappy USB sound card to work
> with, but I have to pay for college right now... I can't buy much of
> anything.
>
> Anyway, when I start my card normally with n=2, I get hundreds of xruns in
> under a minute. No mater what I do, there's always over one hundred xruns if
> I have JACK going on for more than a minute.

You don't say which kernel you are running.
A low latency kernel of some sort is needed.