Status of clockfix?

Lee Revell
Is there still a need for dual core AMD users to run the clockfix branch
of JACK?  Or is the clock fixed by default in the latest release?

Lee

Re: Status of clockfix?

rj (Bugzilla)
Hi,

On Friday 20 October 2006 16:09, Lee Revell wrote:
> Is there still a need for dual core AMD users to run the clockfix branch
> of JACK?  Or is the clock fixed by default in the latest release?

I tried to look into this a while ago and as I understand it the clockfix is
basically a change such that another clock source is used.
I think this is fixed in the current release, there's also a new argument
-clocksource.

BUT I would really like to know from someone who has worked on this, I find it
a bit sad that it has not been publicly announced. Aren't the developers
reading this list anymore?

/Robert

> Lee

http://spamatica.se/musicsite/

Re: Status of clockfix?

Paul Davis
On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 18:16 +0200, Robert Jonsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Friday 20 October 2006 16:09, Lee Revell wrote:
> > Is there still a need for dual core AMD users to run the clockfix branch
> > of JACK?  Or is the clock fixed by default in the latest release?
>
> I tried to look into this a while ago and as I understand it the clockfix is
> basically a change such that another clock source is used.
> I think this is fixed in the current release, there's also a new argument
> -clocksource.
>
> BUT I would really like to know from someone who has worked on this, I find it
> a bit sad that it has not been publicly announced. Aren't the developers
> reading this list anymore?

it was announced months ago when the commit was done. it might have been
wise to add more detail in the release announcement for the latest
tarball. the man page was updated to include the new argument.

Re: Status of clockfix?

Daniel James-2
Hi Paul,

> the man page was updated to include the new argument.

Thanks for the ticket for the clue train :-)

Do any JACK clients yet feature a preference setting for clocksource? I
can't find this feature mentioned in the changelog for qjackctl 0.2.21
or earlier.

Or do we have to tell users with dual-core machines to specify
clocksource in their .jackdrc file for the time being?

Cheers!

Daniel

Re: Status of clockfix?

Rui Nuno Capela
Daniel James wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
>> the man page was updated to include the new argument.
>
> Thanks for the ticket for the clue train :-)
>
> Do any JACK clients yet feature a preference setting for clocksource? I
> can't find this feature mentioned in the changelog for qjackctl 0.2.21
> or earlier.
>
> Or do we have to tell users with dual-core machines to specify
> clocksource in their .jackdrc file for the time being?

On qjackctl you have to make it explicit on the jackd command line. That
is, in the Setup/Settings/Server Path field you ought to make it `jackd
--clocksource hpet`, for example, instead of just the usual `jackd`.

Ah, and the pertinent 0.2.20 changelog entry was:

- Server path setting now accepts custom command line parameters
  (after a kind suggestion from Jussi Laako).

Cheers.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Re: Status of clockfix?

Lee Revell
On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 10:55 +0100, Daniel James wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> > the man page was updated to include the new argument.
>
> Thanks for the ticket for the clue train :-)
>
> Do any JACK clients yet feature a preference setting for clocksource? I
> can't find this feature mentioned in the changelog for qjackctl 0.2.21
> or earlier.
>
> Or do we have to tell users with dual-core machines to specify
> clocksource in their .jackdrc file for the time being?

I haven't checked what it does but IMHO it should default to
gettimeofday.  Default should be correctness, if people want to trade
that for performance it should be optional.

Lee

Re: Status of clockfix?

Daniel James-2
Hi Rui,

> On qjackctl you have to make it explicit on the jackd command line. That
> is, in the Setup/Settings/Server Path field you ought to make it `jackd
> --clocksource hpet`, for example, instead of just the usual `jackd`.

Thanks :-) I was wondering if there would be in future an input field
for clocksource, but if people can use the server path field then that's
just as good.

> Ah, and the pertinent 0.2.20 changelog entry was:
>
> - Server path setting now accepts custom command line parameters

We shipped 0.2.19a from Debian in our last 0.9.4 release, so we'll have
to make sure we have 0.2.20 or later for our forthcoming 1.0 release.

Cheers!

Daniel

Re: Status of clockfix?

Lee Revell
On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 10:20 +0100, Daniel James wrote:

> Hi Rui,
>
> > On qjackctl you have to make it explicit on the jackd command line. That
> > is, in the Setup/Settings/Server Path field you ought to make it `jackd
> > --clocksource hpet`, for example, instead of just the usual `jackd`.
>
> Thanks :-) I was wondering if there would be in future an input field
> for clocksource, but if people can use the server path field then that's
> just as good.

--clocksource=hpet will not work on many systems.  I think Studio64
needs to use gettimeofday.  It's the only option guaranteed to work on
every system.

> > Ah, and the pertinent 0.2.20 changelog entry was:
> >
> > - Server path setting now accepts custom command line parameters
>
> We shipped 0.2.19a from Debian in our last 0.9.4 release, so we'll have
> to make sure we have 0.2.20 or later for our forthcoming 1.0 release.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Daniel

Re: Status of clockfix?

Jussi Laako
Lee Revell wrote:
> I haven't checked what it does but IMHO it should default to
> gettimeofday.  Default should be correctness, if people want to trade
> that for performance it should be optional.

To be precise, default clock source is system clock which is fetched
through clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC,) if available and gettimeofday()
otherwise. gettimeofday() can be potentially screwed up by NTP,
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC,) cannot (and should be available in any
reasonably recent distro).

BR,

        - Jussi