Status of sample rate callback

Stéphane Letz
Hi All,

I have always thought that the sample rate callback was somewhat
deprecated (thus is not implemented at all in jackdmp).  What is the
"official" status of sample rate callback?

Thanks

Stephane

Re: Status of sample rate callback

Jack O'Quin
On Dec 5, 2007 5:15 AM, Stéphane Letz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have always thought that the sample rate callback was somewhat
> deprecated (thus is not implemented at all in jackdmp).  What is the
> "official" status of sample rate callback?

My understanding is the same as yours: somewhat deprecated and
not implemented at all in jackd.  There is still an entry point in
libjack for binary compatibility, but it does nothing.
--
 joq

Re: Status of sample rate callback

lars.luthman (Bugzilla)
On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 10:48 -0600, Jack O'Quin wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2007 5:15 AM, Stéphane Letz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have always thought that the sample rate callback was somewhat
> > deprecated (thus is not implemented at all in jackdmp).  What is the
> > "official" status of sample rate callback?
>
> My understanding is the same as yours: somewhat deprecated and
> not implemented at all in jackd.  There is still an entry point in
> libjack for binary compatibility, but it does nothing.
Would be nice to have it implemented for the backends that can support
it though (pretty much all of them?).

--ll

Re: Status of sample rate callback

Paul Davis
On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 18:02 +0100, Lars Luthman wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 10:48 -0600, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> > On Dec 5, 2007 5:15 AM, Stéphane Letz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I have always thought that the sample rate callback was somewhat
> > > deprecated (thus is not implemented at all in jackdmp).  What is the
> > > "official" status of sample rate callback?
> >
> > My understanding is the same as yours: somewhat deprecated and
> > not implemented at all in jackd.  There is still an entry point in
> > libjack for binary compatibility, but it does nothing.
>
> Would be nice to have it implemented for the backends that can support
> it though (pretty much all of them?).

you plan on implementing support in all the clients, too?

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 12:36 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 18:02 +0100, Lars Luthman wrote:

> > > My understanding is the same as yours: somewhat deprecated and
> > > not implemented at all in jackd.  There is still an entry point in
> > > libjack for binary compatibility, but it does nothing.
> >
> > Would be nice to have it implemented for the backends that can support
> > it though (pretty much all of them?).
>
> you plan on implementing support in all the clients, too?
In mine, where needed, sure. The callback to set the sample rate is
documented in the API reference on jackaudio.org and it doesn't say
anything about it not being used or being depracated so a client that
doesn't handle it properly is broken anyway.

--ll

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 18:43 +0100, Lars Luthman wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 12:36 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> > > Would be nice to have it implemented for the backends that can support
> > > it though (pretty much all of them?).
> >
> > you plan on implementing support in all the clients, too?
>
> In mine, where needed, sure. The callback to set the sample rate is
> documented in the API reference on jackaudio.org and it doesn't say
> anything about it not being used or being depracated so a client that
> doesn't handle it properly is broken anyway.

one might argue that an audio API that allowed the SR to be reset
arbitrarily was the real location of breakage.

or maybe not.

Re: Status of sample rate callback

Pieter Palmers
Lars Luthman wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 10:48 -0600, Jack O'Quin wrote:
>> On Dec 5, 2007 5:15 AM, Stéphane Letz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have always thought that the sample rate callback was somewhat
>>> deprecated (thus is not implemented at all in jackdmp).  What is the
>>> "official" status of sample rate callback?
>> My understanding is the same as yours: somewhat deprecated and
>> not implemented at all in jackd.  There is still an entry point in
>> libjack for binary compatibility, but it does nothing.
>
> Would be nice to have it implemented for the backends that can support
> it though (pretty much all of them?).

It's not as trivial as it might seem. For the freebob and firewire
backends changing the samplerate means completely restarting the
backend. This is not a limitation of libfreebob or libffado, but is due
to the fact that the firewire devices can (and do) have different
configurations for different samplerates. We are required to
reinitialize everything.

One of the main issues with changing the samplerate is that the number
of ports can change. e.g. when switching optical ports from plain ADAT
to SMUX2. This halves the number of corresponding jack ports. What is a
general way to handle that?

I think the main issue is not that apps should be able to change the
samplerate on the fly, but that they should be able to reattach to jack
after zombification or restart. That way *they* can decide how to
reconnect the ports, based upon *their* heuristic.

So if an app supports reconnection after zombification, why would a
jackd server restart be a problem?

Greets,

Pieter

Re: Status of sample rate callback

juuso.alasuutari (Bugzilla)
On Friday 07 December 2007 19:47:23 Paul Davis wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 18:43 +0100, Lars Luthman wrote:

> > > you plan on implementing support in all the clients, too?
> >
> > In mine, where needed, sure. The callback to set the sample rate is
> > documented in the API reference on jackaudio.org and it doesn't say
> > anything about it not being used or being depracated so a client that
> > doesn't handle it properly is broken anyway.
>
> one might argue that an audio API that allowed the SR to be reset
> arbitrarily was the real location of breakage.
>
> or maybe not.

Paul, your answer is cryptic to say the least. :)

I think this issue lacks closure. In spite of all the replies to this thread
I'm still left wondering: Is it correct for jackdmp to mark the sample rate
callback feature deprecated, and would it be correct for me to submit a patch
for alsaplayer which removes setting the sample rate callback?

If the answer to both my questions is yes, then I suggest that the sample rate
callback function be marked deprecated in the JACK API docs.

Thanks,
Juuso