Suse 9.3

jdh-3
Hi all,

I am very new on linux and audio.

I have douwnloaded suse 9.3 and it runs ok.
I have douwnloaded some software too.
Now I try to load qjackctl but it says that it cant connect with the client Jack, Jack is installed already.

Audacity is running correct.
I have activated asla.

Now I want to know how do I get qjackctl running.
And I have several prograams activated like fluidsynth but it doesn't appear in the program tree.

I hope someone canhelp me.

Kind regards Joost

Re: Suse 9.3

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 7/1/05, JdH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have douwnloaded suse 9.3 and it runs ok.
> I have douwnloaded some software too.
> Now I try to load qjackctl but it says that it cant connect with the client
> Jack, Jack is installed already.

qjackctl doesn't connect to jack, it starts/stops jack and routes
sound from one application to another. What does it exactly say to
you? :)

What privilegies do you run qjackctl with? Is Audacity compiled with
portaudio v19?

Alexandre

Re: Suse 9.3

Rui Nuno Capela
> I have douwnloaded suse 9.3 and it runs ok.
> I have douwnloaded some software too.
> Now I try to load qjackctl but it says that it cant connect with the
> client Jack, Jack is installed already.

SUSE 9.3 kernel (2.6.11.x) does not have realtime capabilities bundled.
Therefore you cannot bind to jackd in realtime mode, provided you're not
root.

First of all workarounds(tm): check out the
Setup/Settings/Parameters/Realtime checkbox on qjackctl, then restart
JACK. It should work but barely (un)satisfactorily :)

Other way around, which I've taken myself for granted, is applying the
rt-lsm patch to kernel-source and rebuild the whole kernel thing. Believe
me, its easier than you think. Recipe:

1. Download and install kernel-source package via YAST.
2. Apply[1] patch -p1 rt-lsm.patch, under /usr/src/linux.
3. Copy current kernel config from /boot/config to /usr/src/linux/.config
4. cd /usr/src/linux
5. make oldconfig
6. make all
8. make install
9. Append the following lines to your /etc/init.d/boot.local:

   # Realtime LSM name.
   RTLSM="realtime"
   # Realtime group name.
   RTGRP="audio"
   # Realtime LSM capabilities enabling module.
   RTGID=`cat /etc/group | grep "^${RTGRP}:" | awk -F: '{print $3}'`
   if [ -n "`modprobe -l ${RTLSM}`" ]; then
       /sbin/modprobe ${RTLSM} gid=${RTGID} mlock=1
   fi

Just add yourself to the "audio" group and reboot.

[1]http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.11/2.6.11-mm4/broken-out/rt-lsm.patch

Cheers.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Re: Suse 9.3

sbahling (Bugzilla)
On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 14:58 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> > I have douwnloaded suse 9.3 and it runs ok.
> > I have douwnloaded some software too.
> > Now I try to load qjackctl but it says that it cant connect with the
> > client Jack, Jack is installed already.
> >

> SUSE 9.3 kernel (2.6.11.x) does not have realtime capabilities bundled.
> Therefore you cannot bind to jackd in realtime mode, provided you're not
> root.
>
> First of all workarounds(tm): check out the
> Setup/Settings/Parameters/Realtime checkbox on qjackctl, then restart
> JACK. It should work but barely (un)satisfactorily :)
>
> Other way around, which I've taken myself for granted, is applying the
> rt-lsm patch to kernel-source and rebuild the whole kernel thing. Believe
> me, its easier than you think. Recipe:
>
> 1. Download and install kernel-source package via YAST.
> 2. Apply[1] patch -p1 rt-lsm.patch, under /usr/src/linux.
> 3. Copy current kernel config from /boot/config to /usr/src/linux/.config
> 4. cd /usr/src/linux
> 5. make oldconfig
> 6. make all
> 8. make install
> 9. Append the following lines to your /etc/init.d/boot.local:

or just build the module...

1. Download and install kernel-source package via YAST.
2. Apply[1] patch -p1 rt-lsm.patch, under /usr/src/linux.
3. cd /usr/src.linux
4. make cloneconfig or make oldconfig
5. find & set CONFIG_SECURITY_REALTIME=m in .config
6. make modules_prepare
7. cd /usr/src/linux/security
8. make -C /usr/src/linux M=$(pwd)
9. cp realtime.ko /lib/modules/2.6.11.4-override-default/
10. depmod -a
11. configure /etc/init.d/boot.local
   etc...

It is important to put the module in the override directory, or it will
be deleted by YaST the next time you install a kernel security update.

-Scott

Re: Suse 9.3

Jussi Laako
On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 16:40 +0200, Scott Bahling wrote:

> > > I have douwnloaded suse 9.3 and it runs ok.
> or just build the module...

...or just download kernel module .rpm for SuSE 9.3 from
http://www.sonarnerd.net/suse93/
or for SuSE 9.2 from
http://www.sonarnerd.net/suse92/

There are also jack and qjackctl rpm's. I'll try to keep those
up-to-date.

--
Jussi Laako <[hidden email]>