Trouble compiling/running preempt-kernel

Trouble compiling/running preempt-kernel

Martin Braun
hi,

I apologise for being OT, but I thought the amount of people who can
help me on this would be larger here than the kernel mailing list.

I don't seem to be able to get a preempt-patched kernel running.

I patched a vanilla 2.6.14 kernel against the latest patch from
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/ (that would be
patch-2.6.14-rc5-rt7). It compiled smoothly, but wouldn't boot (I got
the message: 'Uninitialized Timer', not a lot else, I'm afraid).

My current kernel is a 2.6.13.2 and I tried patching that one, but it
wouldn't even compile (message:
In file included from include/linux/sched.h:254,
                 from include/linux/module.h:10,
                 from init/version.c:10:
include/linux/ktimer.h: In function 'do_get_ktime_real':
include/linux/ktimer.h:155: warning: implicit declaration of function
'timeval_to_ns'
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
kernel/built-in.o: In function `get_ktime_real':
: undefined reference to `timeval_to_ns'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

)

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Apart from my problem, documentation on the latest kernels seems to be
slightly outdated. What exactly do you recommend for low-latency on
2.6.13 or .14 kernels?

thanks a lot for any help,
martin
--
You can talk about changing the world.    Or you can help.
Global Marshall Plan http://www.globalmarshallplan.org/

Please use my public PGP key: http://www.mbant.de/mbant-gpg-key

Re: Trouble compiling/running preempt-kernel

LGTrader
On 10/29/05, Martin Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
>
> I apologise for being OT, but I thought the amount of people who can
> help me on this would be larger here than the kernel mailing list.
>
> I don't seem to be able to get a preempt-patched kernel running.
>
> I patched a vanilla 2.6.14 kernel against the latest patch from
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/ (that would be
> patch-2.6.14-rc5-rt7). It compiled smoothly, but wouldn't boot (I got
> the message: 'Uninitialized Timer', not a lot else, I'm afraid).

Hi Martin,
   I think you linked up incompatible things. Ingo has not yet put out
a patch for 2.6.14. To build what you want you need to use the 2.6.13
kernel (not 2.6.13.2), the -rc5 prepatch, and then Ingo's patch. The
correct kernel is still available here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.13.tar.bz2

You need to locate the 2.6.14-rc5 patch file. I don't see it on
kernel.org now that 2.6.14 is out.

   Ingo's patch is here:

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/

   I suspect that in the next day or two Ingo will release his patch
set for 2.6.14. Until then I'm just waiting.
  Hope this helps,
Mark

Re: Trouble compiling/running preempt-kernel

Florian Paul Schmidt-2
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:08:53 +0200
Martin Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I patched a vanilla 2.6.14 kernel against the latest patch from
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/ (that would be
> patch-2.6.14-rc5-rt7). It compiled smoothly, but wouldn't boot (I got
> the message: 'Uninitialized Timer', not a lot else, I'm afraid).
>
> My current kernel is a 2.6.13.2 and I tried patching that one, but it

Hi,

the rt patches are against the exact kernel version they specify. For
example patch-2.6.14-rc5-rt7 is supposed to be applied to a 2.6.14-rc5
kernel. You get to one by grabbing the 2.6.13 source (not 2.6.13.x) and
apply the 2.6.14-rc5 patch to it. Then ontop of that you apply the rt
patch.

Different patchways might even apply cleanly, but i would wonder if it
worked out.

There's also rt patches against plain 2.6.13 (again: not 2.6.13.x) like
this one:

patch-2.6.13-rt14

Have fun,
Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org

Re: Trouble compiling/running preempt-kernel

Lee Revell
On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 18:57 +0200, Florian Schmidt wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:08:53 +0200
> Martin Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I patched a vanilla 2.6.14 kernel against the latest patch from
> > http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/ (that would be
> > patch-2.6.14-rc5-rt7). It compiled smoothly, but wouldn't boot (I got
> > the message: 'Uninitialized Timer', not a lot else, I'm afraid).
> >
> > My current kernel is a 2.6.13.2 and I tried patching that one, but it
>
> Hi,
>
> the rt patches are against the exact kernel version they specify. For
> example patch-2.6.14-rc5-rt7 is supposed to be applied to a 2.6.14-rc5
> kernel. You get to one by grabbing the 2.6.13 source (not 2.6.13.x) and
> apply the 2.6.14-rc5 patch to it. Then ontop of that you apply the rt
> patch.

Actually the "ketchup" utility supports the -rt tree now:

http://www.selenic.com/ketchup/ketchup-0.9.5.tar.bz2

All you need to do is:

./ketchup -d <kernel-source-dir> 2.6-rt

and the kernel source in <kernel-source-dir> will be automatically
updated to the latest -rt tree.

Lee

Florian Schmidt wrote:
> the rt patches are against the exact kernel version they specify.

OK, I admit that's pretty obvious. Still, I'm confused: what's the
difference between the patch-2.6.14-rc5-rt7 etc. patches and the
realtime-preempt-2.6.13-rc6-RT-V0.7.53-11 patches?

cheers,
martin

On 10/31/05, Martin Braun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Florian Schmidt wrote:
> > the rt patches are against the exact kernel version they specify.
>
> OK, I admit that's pretty obvious. Still, I'm confused: what's the
> difference between the patch-2.6.14-rc5-rt7 etc. patches and the
> realtime-preempt-2.6.13-rc6-RT-V0.7.53-11 patches?

2.6.14-rc5 is the 5th release candidate for 2.6.14. It's built on top
of 2.6.13 but is really *almost* 2.6.14. The -rt7 patch is the 7th
release of the realtime preempt patches and was matched up to
2.6.14-rc5.

You actually wouldn't want to build that. If you are intersted in this
then since 2.6.14 is now out you would build 2.6.14-rt1 - the 1st
realtime preempt release for the newest stable kernel.

2.6.13-rc6 sounds like the 6th release candidate for the 2.6.13 kernel
and would have been built on top of 2.6.12, I suppose. After that it
was apparantly patched with realtime patches. (and passibly more)

Hope this helps,
Mark