Two soundcards

Zach Trexler
I read in the archives about using two soundcards with JACK, and there was a
reply indicating to try this:

 jackd -d alsa -p hw:0,0 -c hw:1,0

And when I run that, I get this error:

Unknownage with option 'c'

My sound card devices are indeed set up so hw:0,0 is my playback (onboard
sound) and hw:1,0 is my input (Delta 44)

I'm using jackd version 0.99.0-6.  I understand this may cause problems with
xruns, but I'm willing to deal with it for the time being.

Re: Two soundcards

Lee Revell
On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 11:28 -0600, Zach Trexler wrote:
> I read in the archives about using two soundcards with JACK, and there was a
> reply indicating to try this:
>
>  jackd -d alsa -p hw:0,0 -c hw:1,0
>
> And when I run that, I get this error:
>
> Unknownage with option 'c'

The options are -C and -P.

I doubt it will work well unless the cards are synced via wordclock.

Lee

Re: Two soundcards

Zach Trexler
On Saturday 28 May 2005 02:30 pm, you wrote:

> The options are -C and -P.
>
> I doubt it will work well unless the cards are synced via wordclock.
>
> Lee

I'm quite unfamiliar with much of what I'm trying to do here.  I simply want
to record music via my Delta 44 card, and then play it back at a later time
using my on-board sound.  I could be going down the wrong path with setting
up the two cards with these options in JACK.

Am I way off the mark in that it doesn't matter if anything's "synced" if I'm
not worried about realtime I/O between the two sound cards?

Re: Two soundcards

Lee Revell
On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 15:10 -0600, Zach Trexler wrote:

> On Saturday 28 May 2005 02:30 pm, you wrote:
>
> > The options are -C and -P.
> >
> > I doubt it will work well unless the cards are synced via wordclock.
> >
> > Lee
>
> I'm quite unfamiliar with much of what I'm trying to do here.  I simply want
> to record music via my Delta 44 card, and then play it back at a later time
> using my on-board sound.  I could be going down the wrong path with setting
> up the two cards with these options in JACK.
>
> Am I way off the mark in that it doesn't matter if anything's "synced" if I'm
> not worried about realtime I/O between the two sound cards?

Right, the sync does not matter in this case.

Most people would use JACK in full duplex mode with the Delta44 for
"real" music recording and playback, and have everything else
(gnome/kde, xmms, etc) use the onboard card with ALSA directly.

If you want to use JACK for both devices, you have to run two instances
of jackd, and point one at each card.  This requires a relatively recent
version of JACK.

Lee

Re: Two soundcards

Eldad Zack
On Sunday 29 May 2005 00:38, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 15:10 -0600, Zach Trexler wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 May 2005 02:30 pm, you wrote:
> > > The options are -C and -P.
> > >
> > > I doubt it will work well unless the cards are synced via wordclock.
> > >
> > > Lee
> >
> > I'm quite unfamiliar with much of what I'm trying to do here.  I simply
> > want to record music via my Delta 44 card, and then play it back at a
> > later time using my on-board sound.  I could be going down the wrong path
> > with setting up the two cards with these options in JACK.
> >
> > Am I way off the mark in that it doesn't matter if anything's "synced" if
> > I'm not worried about realtime I/O between the two sound cards?
>
> Right, the sync does not matter in this case.
>
> Most people would use JACK in full duplex mode with the Delta44 for
> "real" music recording and playback, and have everything else
> (gnome/kde, xmms, etc) use the onboard card with ALSA directly.
>
> If you want to use JACK for both devices, you have to run two instances
> of jackd, and point one at each card.  This requires a relatively recent
> version of JACK.

Or you can do it the hardware way.
Just connect one output of your Delta44 to the line in in the on-board.
Though, you'll have to make a special cable since it takes two TS PL per
stereo output to an 1/8" TRS.

--
Eldad Zack <[hidden email]>
Key/Fingerprint at pgp.mit.edu, ID 0x96EA0A93

Re: Two soundcards

Lee Revell
On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 01:10 +0300, Eldad Zack wrote:
> Or you can do it the hardware way.
> Just connect one output of your Delta44 to the line in in the on-board.
> Though, you'll have to make a special cable since it takes two TS PL per
> stereo output to an 1/8" TRS.

Why on earth would you want to add an extra digital -> analog -> digital
conversion?

Actually I notice a lot of MythTV users running the audio out from a TV
decoder card to the line in on the soundcard.  It never made sense to me
- don't the TV decoder cards support audio capture directly?  Why would
you compromise your audio by passing it through another (probably cheap)
codec?

Lee

Re: Two soundcards

Eldad Zack
On Sunday 29 May 2005 03:01, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 01:10 +0300, Eldad Zack wrote:
> > Or you can do it the hardware way.
> > Just connect one output of your Delta44 to the line in in the on-board.
> > Though, you'll have to make a special cable since it takes two TS PL per
> > stereo output to an 1/8" TRS.
>
> Why on earth would you want to add an extra digital -> analog -> digital
> conversion?

Because usually you have only one input on your speakers/monitors, and that is
connected to the line out of the of board card.
If you have a multi-input receiver or a mixer board I agree - the DAD
conversion degrade the quality in a noticable level.