Ubuntu: qjackctl was working, now broken

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ubuntu: qjackctl was working, now broken

eccn
Greetings all

My Ubuntu distro no longer displays a GUI when I run qjackctl . The
program runs but has no user interface. It is also possible to run
jackd, and pre-loading this makes no difference.

This is really frustrating because I rely heavily on midi and audio
routing!

I suspect a recent kernel or software upgrade has caused this problem.

Is there anything I can do, other than migrate to a completely different
distro and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance,

Matt



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu: qjackctl was working, now broken

Florian Paul Schmidt-2
On Monday 08 October 2007, eccn wrote:

> Greetings all
>
> My Ubuntu distro no longer displays a GUI when I run qjackctl . The
> program runs but has no user interface. It is also possible to run
> jackd, and pre-loading this makes no difference.
>
> This is really frustrating because I rely heavily on midi and audio
> routing!
>
> I suspect a recent kernel or software upgrade has caused this problem.
>
> Is there anything I can do, other than migrate to a completely different
> distro and hope for the best?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Is the tray icon shown?

Flo


--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu: qjackctl was working, now broken

eccn
In reply to this post by eccn
Replying to Florian (sorry I lost your exact email)

No, the icon does not appear in the tray. There's no trace of qjackctl
anywhere!

all help appreciated

Matt



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu: qjackctl was working, now broken

Rui Nuno Capela
eccn wrote:
> Replying to Florian (sorry I lost your exact email)
>
> No, the icon does not appear in the tray. There's no trace of qjackctl
> anywhere!
>
> all help appreciated
>

first, get rid of any currently running instance of qjackctl eg. killall
qjackctl

second, find qjackctl configuration file:
older 0.2.x is ~/qt/qjackctlrc
newer 0.3.x is ~/.config/rncbc.org/QjackCtl.conf
get rid of it eg. rename it to something else

third, restart qjackctl

mind you'll have to set it up all over gain from factory default ;)
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
[hidden email]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu: qjackctl was working, now broken

eccn
Hello

Thanks for the advice. I've tried removing all the qjackctl related
files possible, and reinstalled it a couple of times to no effect.

However I did see the tray icon briefly on a strange place on my
desktop, which had the usual interface but it somehow vanished
again.

I think my OS is starting to screw up anyway.

Please can you suggest what might be going wrong here. This is what I
get when I type the following:



matt@SphericalVision:~/.config$ qjackctl -v
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
  Major opcode:  145
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
  Major opcode:  145
  Minor opcode:  3
  Resource id:  0x0
Failed to open device
Warning: no locale found: /usr/share/locale/qjackctl_en_GB.UTF-8.qm
Qt: 3.3.6
qjackctl: 0.2.19a


Any ideas? A distro reinstallation is starting to look attractive!

thanks
Matt





On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 23:00 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> first, get rid of any currently running instance of qjackctl eg. killall
> qjackctl
>
> second, find qjackctl configuration file:
> older 0.2.x is ~/qt/qjackctlrc
> newer 0.3.x is ~/.config/rncbc.org/QjackCtl.conf
> get rid of it eg. rename it to something else
>
> third, restart qjackctl
>
> mind you'll have to set it up all over gain from factory default ;)


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ubuntu: qjackctl was working, now broken

Rui Nuno Capela

On Wed, October 10, 2007 01:29, eccn wrote:

> Hello
>
>
> Thanks for the advice. I've tried removing all the qjackctl related
> files possible, and reinstalled it a couple of times to no effect.
>
> However I did see the tray icon briefly on a strange place on my
> desktop, which had the usual interface but it somehow vanished again.
>
> I think my OS is starting to screw up anyway.
>
>
> Please can you suggest what might be going wrong here. This is what I
> get when I type the following:
>
>
>
> matt@SphericalVision:~/.config$ qjackctl -v
> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
> Major opcode:  145
> Minor opcode:  3
> Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
> X Error: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device 166
> Major opcode:  145
> Minor opcode:  3
> Resource id:  0x0
> Failed to open device
> Warning: no locale found: /usr/share/locale/qjackctl_en_GB.UTF-8.qm
> Qt: 3.3.6
> qjackctl: 0.2.19a
>
>
>
> Any ideas? A distro reinstallation is starting to look attractive!
>

all the X errors above looks problematic but it is not, it can be just
ignored afaict.

first question is: what is your window manager/deslktop environment? have
you change it since last time qjackctl was showing right?

did you actulally try removing ~/qt/qjackctlrc ? you _must_ do that with
qjackctl _not_ running, otherwise it will be overridden, that's why the
`killall qjackctl` prior suggestion.

just in case the ubuntu fellows make some global defaults to you, find out
whether there's also this global configuration file
  /etc/qt3/qjackctlrc
or do a overall `find / -name qjackctlrc` and remove all that you can find.

then start qjackctl again. the purpose of all this is about starting
qjackctl from factory defaults, specially with system-tray icon option
turned off. it might be just your window manager/desktop environment that
is hiding the main application window due to strange effects.

other option is upgrading qjackctl to a newer version. i remember there
was an issue like this on not so old 0.2.x versions regarding gnome
behavior against the "system-tray icon" and "keep allways on top" options.
newer versions start with much polite defaults, that is.

bye now
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
[hidden email]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc.
Still grepping through log files to find problems?  Stop.
Now Search log events and configuration files using AJAX and a browser.
Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> http://get.splunk.com/
_______________________________________________
Jackit-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jackit-devel