Unmaintaned jack client now dies... help with what i need to fix?

Unmaintaned jack client now dies... help with what i need to fix?

Mark Williams-13
Hi all,

The software in question is brutefir.
It hasnt been updated in ~3 years, and it seems the JACK API has now
changed enough that its having issues.

brutefir works for 5 - 10sec as it should, with some warnings, and
then exits with an error:
JACK I/O: JACK reported an error: jack_client_new: deprecated
JACK I/O: Warning: JACK thread has priority 75, but BruteFIR expected 9.
JACK I/O: Warning: JACK thread has priority 75, but BruteFIR expected 9.
Audio processing starts now...
JACK I/O: JACK reported an error: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 2
An error occured in a callback I/O module.

Can you guys give me any kind of hints as to what i need to be doing
to fix this problem in the brutefir code?

Thanks in advance!
Mark Williams.

Re: Unmaintaned jack client now dies... help with what i need to fix?

Harry van Haaren
I'm going to help with the easiest one:

jack_client_new() has been deprecated in favour of jack_client_open()
The open() function takes a couple more arguments, and hence is more flexible.
This link shows the usage of open().

Good luck! -Harry

On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 04:03:23PM +1030, Mark Williams wrote:

> The software in question is brutefir.
> It hasnt been updated in ~3 years, and it seems the JACK API has now
> changed enough that its having issues.
>
> brutefir works for 5 - 10sec as it should, with some warnings, and
> then exits with an error:
> JACK I/O: JACK reported an error: jack_client_new: deprecated

As already pointed out this should use jack_client_open() instead.

> JACK I/O: Warning: JACK thread has priority 75, but BruteFIR expected 9.

No Jack application should expect any particular value for this priority,
so these warnings should probably just be removed. If BruteFIR really
requires some exact priorites that could be related to how it handles
multiple CPUs, see below. This would still be broken design.

> JACK I/O: JACK reported an error: JackActivationCount::Signal value = 0 ref = 2
> An error occured in a callback I/O module.

Looks like a typical Jack2 error. Don't know what it means, maybe the
Jack2 authors will explain.

IIR, to support dividing the work over multiple CPUs BruteFIR uses separate
processes rather than threads. This probably complicates things more than it
should as it requires shared memory and inter-process synchronisation.
Fixing this would require a major redesign.

IHMO, if BruteFIR has to have a future its author should fix these issues.

There are also alternatives to BruteFIR, e.g. the zita-convolver library
and jconvolver (of which I am the author).

Ciao,

There are three of them, and Alleline.