User question about decent external audio interface.

User question about decent external audio interface.

jonas (Bugzilla)-5
Since I didn't find any "user" communication list I ask here.

I have a kickass laptop with a pentium 4 @ 2.6 GHz.

I've been reading this list for quite some months and it seems people do not
recommend USB2.0 external audio interfaces.

I would like to know of any home studio quality units with minimum 2 inputs
and preferably sampling rates > 48 kHz that work well with jack on any recent
linux kernel and USB2.0 or FireWire. If it's hard to find, I'll lower my
requirements because it just for recording some cello, piano and songs at
home.
My low latency demands aren't very hard to meet. I have experimented a bit and
128 frames at 44 kHz (or was it 48?) is good enough. My current problem is
the buildin crap device has a 10% noise when recording and only does 8-bit
mono.

Any suggestion is very very welcome.

Thanks.
--
Jonas Widarsson

tel: +46 271 152 00 - tel: +46 271 121 42 (hemma/home) - gsm: +46 70 539 64 79
MSN: [hidden email] ICQ: 72016688 jabber: [hidden email]

Re: User question about decent external audio interface.

Lee Revell
On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 17:59 +0200, Jonas Widarsson wrote:
> I have a kickass laptop with a pentium 4 @ 2.6 GHz.

> My current problem is the buildin crap device has a 10% noise when
> recording and only does 8-bit mono.

And that is considered "kickass" these days?!?  Sad, really, really sad.

Lee

Re: User question about decent external audio interface.

Phil Frost
On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 05:59:15PM +0200, Jonas Widarsson wrote:

> Since I didn't find any "user" communication list I ask here.
>
> I have a kickass laptop with a pentium 4 @ 2.6 GHz.
>
> I've been reading this list for quite some months and it seems people do not
> recommend USB2.0 external audio interfaces.
>
> I would like to know of any home studio quality units with minimum 2 inputs
> and preferably sampling rates > 48 kHz that work well with jack on any recent
> linux kernel and USB2.0 or FireWire. If it's hard to find, I'll lower my
> requirements because it just for recording some cello, piano and songs at
> home.
> My low latency demands aren't very hard to meet. I have experimented a bit and
> 128 frames at 44 kHz (or was it 48?) is good enough. My current problem is
> the buildin crap device has a 10% noise when recording and only does 8-bit
> mono.
>
> Any suggestion is very very welcome.
>
> Thanks.

I have an "indigo io" from echo audio. It is a PCMCIA card, and works
quite well. It requires an alsa driver that is not included in the
kernel sources, and also alsa 1.0.9, so you may have to build your own
alsa. The indigo io has 1 stereo in and 1 stereo out, but I believe
their indigo dj has 2 stereo inputs.

I have not done any serious quality measurements, but I know the audio
doesn't have tons of noise like any builtin hardware. For my application
low latency was my primany concern, and in this respect it performs
quite well.

Also creative makes a pcmcia version of the audigy that is probably
better than builtin sound. I have never used it, and I don't know how it
works in linux.

If you desire something better, RME makes pcmcia interfaces, but I doubt
you will find anything for under $1000. It should be hella good, though.

Re: User question about decent external audio interface.

melanie-36

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=9103&nav=1

 > Also, I don't get what they mean with mic input. I'm sure it's
not one of
 > those that can power an electronic microphone. You need a
preamp for that?

Likely. There is no phantom power, it's not a professional card.

I have no need for 96 kHz, so I never tested it. I laso have
never tested the digital input. I use the analog input for a DJ
mic and the outputs for left, right and pfl channels with my
DJPlay software.
44.1 kHz is noisy on that card, though.

I also have the Audigy ZS PCMCIA, but it's a paperweight, the
Linux PCMCIA stack does not properly assign the card's resources.

I suspect that the card does not follow the PCMCIA standard and
that, in Windows, the SoundBlaster driver does the job. The
kernel people refuse to add support for a non-standard card,
while the ALSA purists refuse to include things in a driver that
should be part of the stack.
So, even though i'm sure that the abstraction model is violated
by the Windows drivers as well, the Linux developers refuse to do it.

Melanie

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 21:20 +0200, Melanie wrote:

> I also have the Audigy ZS PCMCIA, but it's a paperweight, the
> Linux PCMCIA stack does not properly assign the card's resources.
>
> I suspect that the card does not follow the PCMCIA standard and
> that, in Windows, the SoundBlaster driver does the job. The
> kernel people refuse to add support for a non-standard card,
> while the ALSA purists refuse to include things in a driver that
> should be part of the stack.
> So, even though i'm sure that the abstraction model is violated
> by the Windows drivers as well, the Linux developers refuse to do it.

No, that's not the case at all.  There's no conflict between the kernel
and ALSA developers.  We simply cannot figure out how to get it to work.

Lee

Re: User question about decent external audio interface.

melanie-36
Hi,

Lee Revell wrote:
> No, that's not the case at all.  There's no conflict between the kernel
> and ALSA developers.  We simply cannot figure out how to get it to work.

Last I've heard, the person who was working on a driver wrote,
that it was a resource management issue and it must be fixed by
the PCMCIA people.

They say that they have fully implemented the standard and do not
plan on adding extra support for broken hardware.

I suspect that the card's resources are not managed by the PCMCIA
stack under Windows, either, but that Creative's driver maps the
missing ports or mem ranges itself.
So, to me, it seems that some part of PCMCIA code needs to be
duplicated in the driver for the ZS notebook, something that the
person I mailed with on the ALSA team said he wouldn't do.

Melanie

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 22:15 +0200, Melanie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > No, that's not the case at all.  There's no conflict between the kernel
> > and ALSA developers.  We simply cannot figure out how to get it to work.
>
> Last I've heard, the person who was working on a driver wrote,
> that it was a resource management issue and it must be fixed by
> the PCMCIA people.
>
> They say that they have fully implemented the standard and do not
> plan on adding extra support for broken hardware.
>
> I suspect that the card's resources are not managed by the PCMCIA
> stack under Windows, either, but that Creative's driver maps the
> missing ports or mem ranges itself.
> So, to me, it seems that some part of PCMCIA code needs to be
> duplicated in the driver for the ZS notebook, something that the
> person I mailed with on the ALSA team said he wouldn't do.

I don't remember any of those threads, what mailing list did they take
place on?

Lee

Lee Revell wrote:
> I don't remember any of those threads, what mailing list did they take
> place on?

They didn't. It was by mail, I asked and that was the explanation
I got.

Melanie

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 23:04 +0200, Melanie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > I don't remember any of those threads, what mailing list did they take
> > place on?
>
> They didn't. It was by mail, I asked and that was the explanation
> I got.

It would help a lot if you had cc'ed alsa-devel or linux-kernel.

Lee

Audigy 2 ZS Notebook Was: User question about decent external audio interface.

melanie-36
Hi,

Lee Revell wrote:
> It would help a lot if you had cc'ed alsa-devel or linux-kernel.

But I have not. I did not want to create excess static there.

Melanie

Sunday 28 August 2005 20:39 Phil Frost wrote:
> I have an "indigo io" from echo audio. It is a PCMCIA card, and works
> quite well. It requires an alsa driver that is not included in the
> kernel sources, and also alsa 1.0.9, so you may have to build your own
> alsa. The indigo io has 1 stereo in and 1 stereo out, but I believe
> their indigo dj has 2 stereo inputs.

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoDJ/index.php

Hmmm... It seems it doesn't have any inputs at all. And I was almost about to
place the order :O

> Also creative makes a pcmcia version of the audigy that is probably
> better than builtin sound. I have never used it, and I don't know how it
> works in linux.
>
> If you desire something better, RME makes pcmcia interfaces, but I doubt
> you will find anything for under $1000. It should be hella good, though.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-focus.html
M-Audio FireWire 410
or
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo-focus.html
M-Audio FireWire Solo

All I see about firewire audio and linux is guys mad at other guys.
Is there any hope such devices will be supported?

Otherwise it seems difficult to find a device with more than 2 inputs for a
linux laptop.
--
Jonas Widarsson

tel: +46 271 152 00 - tel: +46 271 121 42 (hemma/home) - gsm: +46 70 539 64 79
MSN: [hidden email] ICQ: 72016688 jabber: [hidden email]

Re: User question about decent external audio interface.

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 8/29/05, Jonas Widarsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > If you desire something better, RME makes pcmcia interfaces, but I doubt
> > you will find anything for under $1000. It should be hella good, though.
> >

> http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-focus.html
> M-Audio FireWire 410
> or
> http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo-focus.html
> M-Audio FireWire Solo
>
> All I see about firewire audio and linux is guys mad at other guys.
> Is there any hope such devices will be supported?

http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/List_of_Supported_Devices

Alexandre

Monday 29 August 2005 12:56 Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > All I see about firewire audio and linux is guys mad at other guys.
> > Is there any hope such devices will be supported?
>
> http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/List_of_Supported_Devices
>
> Alexandre

Great, Thanks!
I understand freebob is in prototype stage.
I got very interested in the ESI QUATA-Fire 610.

I guess I need to listen to their mailing list for a while to get a feeling
about how it's going.
--
Jonas Widarsson

tel: +46 271 152 00 - tel: +46 271 121 42 (hemma/home) - gsm: +46 70 539 64 79
MSN: [hidden email] ICQ: 72016688 jabber: [hidden email]

Re: User question about decent external audio interface.

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 8/29/05, Jonas Widarsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Monday 29 August 2005 12:56 Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > > All I see about firewire audio and linux is guys mad at other guys.
> > > Is there any hope such devices will be supported?
> >
> > http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/List_of_Supported_Devices
> >
> > Alexandre
>
> Great, Thanks!
> I understand freebob is in prototype stage.
> I got very interested in the ESI QUATA-Fire 610.

Even more: http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/List_of_Working_Setups

:)

Alexandre

Re: User question about decent external audio interface.

jonas (Bugzilla)-5
I went for an AUDIGY 2 NX USB so I could spend some money on an extra HD.
The freebob tip is hot!

Thank you all,

Bugzilla from pochini@shiny.it

On 29-Aug-2005 Jonas Widarsson wrote:

> http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoDJ/index.php
>
> Hmmm... It seems it doesn't have any inputs at all. And I was almost about to
> place the order :O

IndigoDJ ha 4 outputs. IndigoIO has stereo in and stereo out.

> All I see about firewire audio and linux is guys mad at other guys.
> Is there any hope such devices will be supported?

Look for the Freebob project.

--
Giuliano.

Re: AUDIGY 2 NX USB - "DRIVER NT: could not start driver" - Was: User question about decent external audio interface.

jonas (Bugzilla)-5
Sunday 28 August 2005 19:28 Melanie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> SoundBlaster Audigy NX works for me. One stereo input only, but 3
> stereo outputs. Sound quality is good @48 kHz.
>
> Melanie

Now I have my AUDIGY 2 NX USB plugged in and set up with alsa.

But,
I get the error "DRIVER NT: could not start driver" when trying out the pasted
commands at the end.

I am running without any /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asroundrc

jonas@jw jonas $ jackd --version
jackd version 0.99.0 tmpdir /dev/shm protocol 13

alsa-driver is from gentoo:
media-sound/alsa-driver- 1.0.9b

Here's the error:

jonas@jw jonas $ cat /proc/asound/devices
 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
  1:       : sequencer
 33:       : timer
 36: [1- 0]: hardware dependent
 48: [1- 0]: digital audio playback
 56: [1- 0]: digital audio capture
 32: [1- 0]: ctl
jonas@jw jonas $ /usr/bin/jackd  -d alsa -d hw:1 -n 2 -p 64
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|64|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:1
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 64 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Couldn't open hw:1 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:1 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
could not start playback (Broken pipe)
DRIVER NT: could not start driver
cannot start driver
jonas@jw jonas $

Any hints?

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 20:22 +0200, Jonas Widarsson wrote:
> jonas@jw jonas $ /usr/bin/jackd  -d alsa -d hw:1 -n 2 -p 64

> DRIVER NT: could not start driver
> cannot start driver
> jonas@jw jonas $

64 frames with a USB device?  No way in hell is that going to work.
It's barely possible with PCI.

Try -n 3 -p 512.  If that works then try -p 256.

Lee

Thursday 01 September 2005 20:27 Lee Revell wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 20:22 +0200, Jonas Widarsson wrote:
> > jonas@jw jonas $ /usr/bin/jackd  -d alsa -d hw:1 -n 2 -p 64
> >
> > DRIVER NT: could not start driver
> > cannot start driver
> > jonas@jw jonas $
>
> 64 frames with a USB device?  No way in hell is that going to work.
> It's barely possible with PCI.
>
> Try -n 3 -p 512.  If that works then try -p 256.
>
> Lee

That's not what it is complaining about.
I know it should be slower...

And I am getting the same results with your suggestion,
DRIVER NT: could not start driver

According to [1] I assume it means non threaded. I don't see any way to get
around it yet.

I can stress the values a bit and if I set -p 32 then I get the error I would
associate with your assumption:
ALSA: cannot set period size to 32 frames for capture

[1]:
http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=4&url=http%3A//jackit.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/lxr/http/source/libjack/driver.c&ei=6koXQ-2LNKeGiAL_rdDDDA

Thursday 01 September 2005 20:22 Jonas Widarsson wrote:

> Sunday 28 August 2005 19:28 Melanie wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > SoundBlaster Audigy NX works for me. One stereo input only, but 3
> > stereo outputs. Sound quality is good @48 kHz.
> >
> > Melanie
>
> Now I have my AUDIGY 2 NX USB plugged in and set up with alsa.
>
> But,
> I get the error "DRIVER NT: could not start driver" [...]

I use this alsa configuration:

pcm.usb-audio {
        type hw
        card 0
}

ctl.usb-audio {
        type hw
        card 0
}

pcm.audigy {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0"
#                format S16_LE
                rate 48000
#                rate 44100
        }
}

ctl.audigy {
   type hw
   card 0
}

Then I can get it up, but not use it.
It looks like this:

jonas@jw jonas $ /usr/bin/jackd  -d alsa -d audigy -n 5 -p 256
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... audigy|audigy|256|5|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 256 frames, buffer = 5 periods
You appear to be using the ALSA software "plug" layer, probably
a result of using the "default" ALSA device. This is less
efficient than it could be. Consider using a hardware device
instead rather than using the plug layer. Usually the name of the
hardware device that corresponds to the first soun
You appear to be using the ALSA software "plug" layer, probably
a result of using the "default" ALSA device. This is less
efficient than it could be. Consider using a hardware device
instead rather than using the plug layer. Usually the name of the
hardware device that corresponds to the first soun

Then I start qjackconnect to try some connections, and immediately jackd ends
like this:

could not complete playback of 256 frames: error = -32
cycle execution failure, exiting
DRIVER NT: could not run driver cycle
jack main caught signal 12
jonas@jw jonas $

I don't know what to do.
If I try to access the device without the slave pcm I get this immediately:

jonas@jw jonas $ /usr/bin/jackd  -d alsa -d usb-audio -n 5 -p 256
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... usb-audio|usb-audio|256|5|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
32bit
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 256 frames, buffer = 5 periods
Couldn't open usb-audio for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead