User question about decent external audio interface.

Re: AUDIGY 2 NX USB - "DRIVER NT: could not start driver" - Was: User question about decent external audio interface.

jonas (Bugzilla)-5
Saturday 03 September 2005 00:39 Melanie wrote:

> Well, I didn't mention these two because that si what I always do:
>
> Jonas Widarsson wrote:
> > I have changed to this:
> > "Ingo" - thanks to Florian Schmidt it was a breeze [1]:
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux jw 2.6.13-rc4-RT-V0.7.52-10 #1 SMP Fri Sep 2 20:15:32 CEST 2005
> > i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> >
> > I got rid of the error "DRIVER NT: could not start driver" only after
> > upgrading alsa-driver and compiling it myself.
> > It seems the gentoo version 1.0.9b was broken in some sense.
>
> I always run "Ingo" kernels and I always compile things myself,
> I'm not a "distro" person. Sorry I didn't mention them and saved
> you some trouble.
>
> Melanie

Yes, I thought you could have posted your versions earlier too. ;)
You seemed a bit buzy, looking at your messages.
But with your short, but yet helpful hints, I at least knew it was working for
*someone*. :)

Thank you all. Now it's time to learn things.
What's the best resource for studying .asoundrc ? I think the [1] is difficult
to understand. And which mailinglist would welcome some newbie questions?
I just found [2] and will read it.

BTW, I have to tell you all that I hate the syntax of that file...

[1] http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php
[2] http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc
--
Jonas Widarsson

tel: +46 271 152 00 - tel: +46 271 121 42 (hemma/home) - gsm: +46 70 539 64 79
MSN: [hidden email] ICQ: 72016688 jabber: [hidden email]

Re: AUDIGY 2 NX USB - "DRIVER NT: could not start driver" - Was: User question about decent external audio interface.

Lee Revell
On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 10:47 +0200, Jonas Widarsson wrote:
> What's the best resource for studying .asoundrc ? I think the [1] is difficult
> to understand. And which mailinglist would welcome some newbie questions?
> I just found [2] and will read it.
>
> BTW, I have to tell you all that I hate the syntax of that file...

That's fine, end users should never need to touch it.

There seems to be a common misconception that if your soundcard does not
work right it's because "your .asoundrc is wrong".  This is almost NEVER
the case.

If it doesn't work OOTB, it's a bug.  Period.  Tweaking the .asoundrc
will not make your sound work.

Lee