VST question.

Robert Wolf-3

Hi,

I am new here.

I have a VST instrument, which I want to port to Linux (Ubuntu).

I have heard about JACK, DSSI, ALSA, LADSPA.

Which one(s) should I use?

I have read somewhere that DSSI is a good start but not perfect for big and elaborate instruments.

This is actually my case, so DSSI may not be the best.

Is JACK everything I need?

Does it support MIDI transmission?

If I use JACK, will my instrument work as a plug-in to other programs (i.e. sequencers)?

All your comments are appreciated.

Kind regards,

Robert

Re: VST question.

Luis Garrido-4
> I have heard about JACK, DSSI, ALSA, LADSPA.

Mmm, well, take this with a grain of salt but, just to give you a
first glance of The Great Scheme Of Things, you could roughly draw the
following parallels between the Linux and the Windows audio world:

ALSA ~ ASIO
JACK ~ Rewire
LADSPA ~ VST (only audio)
DSSI ~ VSTi

So I'd say it is DSSI you want to look at.

> I have read somewhere that DSSI is a good start but not perfect for big and
> elaborate instruments.

Not sure about that. If you find DSSI limiting another approach is to
make your instrument a standalone application, communicating with
other audio apps via JACK (audio) and ALSA-sequencer (midi.)
ZynAddSubFx is a good example. In this case you may want to have a
look at something called LASH too.

> All your comments are appreciated.

As I first step I would study the DSSI specs and the existing DSSI
instruments. Ask any questions in the dssi list. For GUI stuff you
will have to use a GUI toolkit (Qt and GTK2 being the most popular)
and something called OSC.

There also exists a complete different path: it is possible to run
VSTi's in Linux using wrappers and Windows API emulation (Wine.) You
could just be careful and only use Wine supported APIs in your plugin.

Hope this helps,

Luis

Re: VST question.

lars.luthman (Bugzilla)
On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 12:25 +1030, Robert Wolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new here.
> I have a VST instrument, which I want to port to Linux (Ubuntu).
> I have heard about JACK, DSSI, ALSA, LADSPA.
> Which one(s) should I use?

I would recommend DSSI - it's the only plugin standard supported by
hosts at the moment that can be used for instruments.

> I have read somewhere that DSSI is a good start but not perfect for
> big and elaborate instruments.
> This is actually my case, so DSSI may not be the best.

DSSI works reasonably well for "instrument" type plugins with a single
MIDI input. There's no way of knowing if it will fit your needs without
knowing what you need.

> Is JACK everything I need?

See above.

> Does it support MIDI transmission?

Yes, JACK clients can have multiple MIDI input and output ports as well
as audio.

> If I use JACK, will my instrument work as a plug-in to other programs
> (i.e. sequencers)?

No. If you use LASH that doesn't really matter though.

--ll

Re: VST question.

Quentin Harley
Luis Garrido wrote:
> There also exists a complete different path: it is possible to run
> VSTi's in Linux using wrappers and Windows API emulation (Wine.) You
> could just be careful and only use Wine supported APIs in your plugin.

The Wine route is not recommended though.  64 bit systems can not run
wine successfully at the moment, and no one knows when we'll have a Wine
package for AMD64 that can run both 64bit and 32bit win applications
transparently.  This means that your instrument would be useless for
higher powered users running Opterons, and Athlon 64's.  (Most of the
users of the 64Studio audio distribution)

Regards,
Quentin.

PS: If I am wrong about Wine, please let me know.  The only thing I miss
about my MS audio environment (note only) is the vast array of VST's
available.  But for now, the advantages of using 64Studio is much
greater than the loss of VST.