What's an internal jack client good for?

What's an internal jack client good for?

Felix Homann
Hi,

here's another question in my personal struggle towards understanding
JACK. I've found the API reference for internal clients, but what's the
idea behind an internal client? When should an internal client be used
instead of an external client? Is there anything that can only be done
with an internal client?

Thanks in advance,

Felix

Re: What's an internal jack client good for?

Paul Davis
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Felix Homann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here's another question in my personal struggle towards understanding JACK.
> I've found the API reference for internal clients, but what's the idea
> behind an internal client? When should an internal client be used instead of
> an external client? Is there anything that can only be done with an internal
> client?

its a slightly more efficient way to provide a simple, GUI-less
client. - no need to context switch to/from another process in order
to run the client. however, since the client runs inside the server,
if it crashes, it takes down the server. it also can't have its own
in-process GUI (since the server doesn't have any such facilities).

i believe that fons has created a few internal clients, but there are
very few to no others.

Re: What's an internal jack client good for?

Felix Homann
Thank you very much, again, Paul!

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:02:06AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Felix Homann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > here's another question in my personal struggle towards understanding JACK.
> > I've found the API reference for internal clients, but what's the idea
> > behind an internal client? When should an internal client be used instead of
> > an external client? Is there anything that can only be done with an internal
> > client?
>
> its a slightly more efficient way to provide a simple, GUI-less
> client. - no need to context switch to/from another process in order
> to run the client. however, since the client runs inside the server,
> if it crashes, it takes down the server. it also can't have its own
> in-process GUI (since the server doesn't have any such facilities).
>
> i believe that fons has created a few internal clients, but there are
> very few to no others.

The no-context-switch advantage is relative: if an internal client
connects to 'normal' clients instead of just the audio card it will
still need a context switch (from some app to jackd, and maybe back
again) to run it. The real advantage would be for a complex network of
internal clients connecting to external ones only at the start and end.

An internal client could have a GUI, just as a plugin could have one
(Aeolus' GUI is a plugin to a 'host' that doesn't have any notion
of X11 for example). No support from the server/host is required to
do this. OTOH, once a Jack app supports this sort of thing it could
probably as well be a normal 'external one'.

There are three of them, and Alleline.