Will a newer tarball ever be released?

Jacco Kramer
Hi I'm a packager for Vector Linux, and I was thinking about packaging a newer version of Jack than is currently available in the repositories (0.103.0). I've been following this list for quite a while now, and I was under the impression that a lot of stuff has changed since the last tarball was released (like the jack midi thing).

I had a look at the svn repo, and noticed the latest version is 0.107.5. Is there any particular reason why no tarball has been released between 0.103.0 and now? Are all the versions after 0.103.0 really that unstable (I sure hope not)?

However, if I'm going to package that I'll need to upload sources too. I can of course make a tarball from the svn version and upload that as jack-audio-connection-kit-0.107.5.tar.bz2, but some other packagers (who don't follow this list) might start asking questions about using a version not available on the website or (correctly) point to the fact that it's an svn version and thus "unstable".

So, I'd like to know should I just wait for a couple of months, or was it just forgotten since y'all developers use svn all the time anyways?

Regards,
Jacco

Re: Will a newer tarball ever be released?

Paul Davis
On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 12:52 +0200, Jacco Kramer wrote:

> Hi I'm a packager for Vector Linux, and I was thinking about packaging
> a newer version of Jack than is currently available in the
> repositories (0.103.0). I've been following this list for quite a
> while now, and I was under the impression that a lot of stuff has
> changed since the last tarball was released (like the jack midi
> thing).
>
> I had a look at the svn repo, and noticed the latest version is
> 0.107.5. Is there any particular reason why no tarball has been
> released between 0.103.0 and now? Are all the versions after 0.103.0
> really that unstable (I sure hope not)?

a) the relevant people are busy
b) there is a new problem in svn that isn't in 0.103
c) i was hoping to get a couple more things done so that the next
     release could really be 1.0pre

> However, if I'm going to package that I'll need to upload sources too.
> I can of course make a tarball from the svn version and upload that as
> jack-audio-connection-kit-0.107.5.tar.bz2, but some other packagers
> (who don't follow this list) might start asking questions about using
> a version not available on the website or (correctly) point to the
> fact that it's an svn version and thus "unstable".
>
> So, I'd like to know should I just wait for a couple of months, or was
> it just forgotten since y'all developers use svn all the time anyways?

personally, i'd prefer it if you waited for a couple of months before
making it your default package.

Re: Will a newer tarball ever be released?

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 09:05 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 12:52 +0200, Jacco Kramer wrote:
> > Hi I'm a packager for Vector Linux, and I was thinking about packaging
> > a newer version of Jack than is currently available in the
> > repositories (0.103.0). I've been following this list for quite a
> > while now, and I was under the impression that a lot of stuff has
> > changed since the last tarball was released (like the jack midi
> > thing).
> >
> > I had a look at the svn repo, and noticed the latest version is
> > 0.107.5. Is there any particular reason why no tarball has been
> > released between 0.103.0 and now? Are all the versions after 0.103.0
> > really that unstable (I sure hope not)?
>
> a) the relevant people are busy
> b) there is a new problem in svn that isn't in 0.103

What would that be? I'm currently testing current svn for a release for
Planet CCRMA and it seems to be working fine. When (svn rev) was the
problem introduced?

-- Fernando

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 10:23 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 09:05 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 12:52 +0200, Jacco Kramer wrote:
> > > Hi I'm a packager for Vector Linux, and I was thinking about packaging
> > > a newer version of Jack than is currently available in the
> > > repositories (0.103.0). I've been following this list for quite a
> > > while now, and I was under the impression that a lot of stuff has
> > > changed since the last tarball was released (like the jack midi
> > > thing).
> > >
> > > I had a look at the svn repo, and noticed the latest version is
> > > 0.107.5. Is there any particular reason why no tarball has been
> > > released between 0.103.0 and now? Are all the versions after 0.103.0
> > > really that unstable (I sure hope not)?
> >
> > a) the relevant people are busy
> > b) there is a new problem in svn that isn't in 0.103
>
> What would that be? I'm currently testing current svn for a release for
> Planet CCRMA and it seems to be working fine. When (svn rev) was the
> problem introduced?

its rather subtle. basic usage won't show it. its just somewhat more
likely (not guaranteed) that if one client crashes, other will fail or
be zombified. its not even close to a 50% failure rate, but its up from
wherever it was before.

luckily, i think we have part of the answer already.

Re: Will a newer tarball ever be released?

Jonatan Liljedahl
Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 10:23 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>> a) the relevant people are busy
>>> b) there is a new problem in svn that isn't in 0.103
>> What would that be? I'm currently testing current svn for a release for
>> Planet CCRMA and it seems to be working fine. When (svn rev) was the
>> problem introduced?
>
> its rather subtle. basic usage won't show it. its just somewhat more
> likely (not guaranteed) that if one client crashes, other will fail or
> be zombified. its not even close to a 50% failure rate, but its up from
> wherever it was before.
>
> luckily, i think we have part of the answer already.

Yes, I'm using 0.107.5 and have experienced some strange sudden
terminations of both jackd and qjackctl, without any notifications. Also
zombification of one client when I quit another (who the first one was
connected to by jack midi). And sometimes a jack midi connection does
not work (the connection is removed right after i connect two clients)
and I have to restart one of the clients.

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 13:29 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 10:23 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> > > a) the relevant people are busy
> > > b) there is a new problem in svn that isn't in 0.103
> >
> > What would that be? I'm currently testing current svn for a release for
> > Planet CCRMA and it seems to be working fine. When (svn rev) was the
> > problem introduced?
>
> its rather subtle. basic usage won't show it. its just somewhat more
> likely (not guaranteed) that if one client crashes, other will fail or
> be zombified. its not even close to a 50% failure rate, but its up from
> wherever it was before.

Ok, I see, I think I've seen this once or twice... but I have not done
very heavy testing.

> luckily, i think we have part of the answer already.

Let me know if that makes it to svn so I can test it out.
-- Fernando

Re: Will a newer tarball ever be released?

Rui Nuno Capela
Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 13:29 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

>>> What would that be? I'm currently testing current svn for a release for
>>> Planet CCRMA and it seems to be working fine. When (svn rev) was the
>>> problem introduced?
>> its rather subtle. basic usage won't show it. its just somewhat more
>> likely (not guaranteed) that if one client crashes, other will fail or
>> be zombified. its not even close to a 50% failure rate, but its up from
>> wherever it was before.
>
> Ok, I see, I think I've seen this once or twice... but I have not done
> very heavy testing.
>
>> luckily, i think we have part of the answer already.
>
> Let me know if that makes it to svn so I can test it out.
> -- Fernando

and there's still this "on_shutdown issue", which seems related somewhat

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=46571CBD.7060301%40rncbc.org&forum_name=jackit-devel

bye
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Re: Will a newer tarball ever be released?

Andrzej Szombierski
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Paul Davis wrote:

> > > a) the relevant people are busy
> > > b) there is a new problem in svn that isn't in 0.103
> >
> > What would that be? I'm currently testing current svn for a release for
> > Planet CCRMA and it seems to be working fine. When (svn rev) was the
> > problem introduced?
>
> its rather subtle. basic usage won't show it. its just somewhat more
> likely (not guaranteed) that if one client crashes, other will fail or
> be zombified. its not even close to a 50% failure rate, but its up from
> wherever it was before.
>
> luckily, i think we have part of the answer already.

I don't mean to interrupt, but there's also the client deactivation bug
I've reported recently (twice). It also doesn't show up often, but it
breaks jack completely when a client deactivates itself but doesn't exit
immediately.
And it occurs in every jack version I've tested - I think that it was
broken from the beginning.

--
:: Andrzej Szombierski :: [hidden email] :: http://kuku.eu.org ::
:: [hidden email]  :: radio bez kitu :: http://bezkitu.com ::

Re: Will a newer tarball ever be released?

Jack O'Quin
On 10/18/07, Andrzej Szombierski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > What would that be? I'm currently testing current svn for a release for
> > > Planet CCRMA and it seems to be working fine. When (svn rev) was the
> > > problem introduced?
> >
> > its rather subtle. basic usage won't show it. its just somewhat more
> > likely (not guaranteed) that if one client crashes, other will fail or
> > be zombified. its not even close to a 50% failure rate, but its up from
> > wherever it was before.
> >
> > luckily, i think we have part of the answer already.
> >

> I don't mean to interrupt, but there's also the client deactivation bug
> I've reported recently (twice). It also doesn't show up often, but it
> breaks jack completely when a client deactivates itself but doesn't exit
> immediately.
> And it occurs in every jack version I've tested - I think that it was
> broken from the beginning.

What is the status of Mantis these days?

I haven't been able to access it for ages.  Is it working for anyone else?
--
 joq

Re: Will a newer tarball ever be released?

Jussi Laako-2
Jack O'Quin wrote:
> What is the status of Mantis these days?
> I haven't been able to access it for ages.  Is it working for anyone else?

I've never been able to access it. Should we set up bugzilla or
something similar somewhere?

        - Jussi