Xruns on Mac mini Intel running Ubuntu

CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR
Hello,

I am using a mac mini intel core duo 1.6 GHz running Ubuntu
2.6.20-16-realtime (the real time patch).

When running just the Jack Control app with Realtime and Forced 16 Bit
settings with the built in sound card I can't seem to be able to make Xruns
go away despite changing all manner of frames,sample rate, periods or other
parameters.  They remain fairly consistent b/w .01 and .02 seconds
regardless.

Any advice?

Re: Xruns on Mac mini Intel running Ubuntu

Sébastien THOMAS-2
Hi,

Are you sure you are running a low lattency kernel ?
Are you sure you are in a realtime mode (realtime compiled as module ) ?
Have you set the jack tmp dir in RAM  by using a tmpfs filesystem (in /tmp/jack for example ?)
How are you running jack ? have you tried running with -R (realtime) and set a -p (period) around 1024, then decreasing it ?

Give us more clue about how you start jackd, and what the debugs are.
Thanks

Le 31 août 07 à 08:31, CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR a écrit :

Hello,

I am using a mac mini intel core duo 1.6 GHz running Ubuntu
2.6.20-16-realtime (the real time patch).

When running just the Jack Control app with Realtime and Forced 16 Bit
settings with the built in sound card I can't seem to be able to make Xruns
go away despite changing all manner of frames,sample rate, periods or other
parameters.  They remain fairly consistent b/w .01 and .02 seconds
regardless.

Any advice?

Sébastien THOMAS - Ingénieur Systèmes
[hidden email] - tel : +33 (0) 1 40 70 42 81

Re: Xruns on Mac mini Intel running Ubuntu

CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR
Hi, thanks for replying.

On 8/31/07 2:18 AM, "Sébastien THOMAS" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are you sure you are running a low lattency kernel ?

Yes, technically it is the "real-time" kernel: 2.6.20-16-realtime

> Are you sure you are in a realtime mode (realtime compiled as module ) ?

All I know I am running using that kernel and that the real time box is
checked in the Jack Control settings.

> Have you set the jack tmp dir in RAM  by using a tmpfs filesystem (in
> /tmp/jack for example ?)

How do I do this?

> How are you running jack ? have you tried running with -R (realtime) and set a
> -p (period) around 1024, then decreasing it ?

Upping the periods to like 4 actually makes the xruns reduce to about once
every 1.5 minutes.  I do get lots of delay messages like this though:

delay of 5019.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 1259.000; restart

> Give us more clue about how you start jackd, and what the debugs are.
> Thanks

I start jack from the jack control gui, here's an example of some of the
verbose with periods cranked up to 4:

jackd 0.102.20
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0,0|hw:0,0|64|4|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|16bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 64 frames, buffer = 4 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 4 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 4 periods for playback
03:25:52.790 Server configuration saved to "/home/chris/.jackdrc".
03:25:52.792 Statistics reset.
03:25:52.795 Client activated.
03:25:52.797 Audio connection change.
03:25:52.801 Audio connection graph change.
delay of 5019.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 1259.000; restart
03:25:53.907 XRUN callback (1).
delay of 5022.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 1259.000; restart
03:25:54.452 Client deactivated.
03:25:54.455 JACK is stopping...
jack main caught signal 15

Le 31 août 07 à 10:28, CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR a écrit :

Hi, thanks for replying.

On 8/31/07 2:18 AM, "Sébastien THOMAS" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Are you sure you are running a low lattency kernel ?

Yes, technically it is the "real-time" kernel: 2.6.20-16-realtime

good

Are you sure you are in a realtime mode (realtime compiled as module ) ?

All I know I am running using that kernel and that the real time box is
checked in the Jack Control settings.

By default, only user root and users in "audio" group of ubuntu have access to realtime. first of all, ensure you are in the right group.
use "lsmod" to see if the kernel module is running :

# lsmod | grep realtime
realtime                7944  0
commoncap               9472  1 realtime

if it is not, add it with this procedure :

apt-get install realtime-lsm realtime-lsm-source module-assistant
module-assistant
1. Update pour être sûr d'être à jour, ça ne mange pas de pain...
2. Prepare qui prépare la compilation d'un module, par exemple en téléchargeant les entêtes du noyau - ah oui on n'y avait pas pensé à ceux-là !
3. Select pour choisir le module à compiler dans la liste des modules compilables (il doit y avoir realtime-lsm !!!), une fois un module choisi, on entre dans un sous-menu dans lequel on choisit à nouveau dans l'ordre affiché...
4. Get va vérifier qu'on a bien les sources du module à compiler
5. Build compile le module, il faut répondre yes à son message disant que peut-être qu'on n'a pas les sources installés et qu'il faut confirmer
6. Install si on n'a pas déjà cliqué yes lorsqu'il demande s'il faut installer le module à la fin de la compilation
7. Back, Cancel et Exit pour quitter le module-assistant

reboot

Have you set the jack tmp dir in RAM  by using a tmpfs filesystem (in
/tmp/jack for example ?)

How do I do this?

mkdir /tmp/jack

Add this line at the end of /etc/fstab :
none            /tmp/jack       tmpfs   defaults        0       0

mount /tmp/jack

Be sure to change you jack tmp directory to /tmp/jack. You can do this by re-compiling jack. I don't know any other solution but there should be a commandline attribute...

How are you running jack ? have you tried running with -R (realtime) and set a
-p (period) around 1024, then decreasing it ?

Upping the periods to like 4 actually makes the xruns reduce to about once
every 1.5 minutes.  I do get lots of delay messages like this though:

delay of 5019.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 1259.000; restart

I start jack this way :
 jackd --realtime --realtime-priority 50 --driver alsa   --period 2048  --rate 48000  --softmode

I'm not doing realtime audio, so my priority is 50. You can lower this, as the period.

[...]

rj (Bugzilla)
Hello Christopher,

I noticed that you were trying to run with 64 frame buffers. I'm not
sure the internal soundcard can even cope with that. I have tried
running jack on a MacBook and I didn't get anywhere near that.

There are some parameters available to the kernel-module that actually
make some difference. At the moment I don't know where I found that
information. Google should know..

As you have found, adding more buffers makes it better, I would try
using 128 or 256 frames also.

/Robert

CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR wrote:

> [...]
> delay of 5022.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 1259.000; restart
>
> Thanks!
>

>> Le 31 août 07 à 08:31, CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR a écrit :
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am using a mac mini intel core duo 1.6 GHz running Ubuntu
>>> 2.6.20-16-realtime (the real time patch).
>>>
>>> When running just the Jack Control app with Realtime and Forced 16 Bit
>>> settings with the built in sound card I can't seem to be able to make Xruns
>>> go away despite changing all manner of frames,sample rate, periods or other
>>> parameters.  They remain fairly consistent b/w .01 and .02 seconds
>>> regardless.
>>>
>>> Any advice?
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>> --
>> Sébastien THOMAS - Ingénieur Systèmes
>> [hidden email] - tel : +33 (0) 1 40 70 42 81

Re: Xruns on Mac mini Intel running Ubuntu

Rui Nuno Capela

On Fri, August 31, 2007 09:28, CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR wrote:

> Hi, thanks for replying.
>

>> How are you running jack ? have you tried running with -R (realtime)
>> and set a -p (period) around 1024, then decreasing it ?
>>

> Upping the periods to like 4 actually makes the xruns reduce to about
> once every 1.5 minutes.  I do get lots of delay messages like this though:

if this is a hda-intel probably it won't work reliably unless you set the
number of periods/buffer (-n) to 3 no more no less regarless to whether
you're fitted with a realtime kernel

you should also start with 1024 or even higher number of frames/period
(-p) then try lowering until you're satisfied; it should be possible to
get down to -p64 -n3 without xruns but you'll have to tune up other things
most likely the realtime priority of the irq service thread that deals
with your sound card

look in /proc/interrupts for the irq number that points to your sound
module and then try

  chrt -f -p 80 `pidof "IRQ-4"`

where 4 is my example irq number and 80 is the realtime (fifo) priority
for the irq handler thread (boot default is 50 iirc)

then it would be wise to set jackd priority accordingly and below 80 for
instance 72

ah all this irq stuff can be handled automagically through this rtirq
script of yours truely :) check it out

  http://www.rncbc.org/jack/rtirq-20070101.tar.gz

note that installation is not straight forward on ubuntu/debian though you
can get away with the following instructions logged in as root:

  tar -xf rtirq-20070101.tar.gz
  cd rtirq-20070101
  cp rtirq.sh /usr/sbin/rtirq
  chmod +x /usr/sbin/rtirq
  cp rtirq.conf /etc

finally edit /usr/sbin/rtirq on your beloved editor and change
  RTIRQ_CONFIG=/etc/sysconfig/rtirq
  RTIRQ_CONFIG=/etc/rtirq.conf

after that try or put somewhere in some ubuntu startup script:

  rtirq start

should give you some output otherwise reasons are you're not running a
realtime patched kernel

look for current the irq prioritisation simply by entering

  rtirq status

where you may find your soundcard name listed fairly high and without
guesswork ;)

HTH
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Re: Xruns on Mac mini Intel running Ubuntu

Rui Nuno Capela
errata

> tar -xf rtirq-20070101.tar.gz

should be

  tar -zxf rtirq-20070101.tar.gz

instead

:)
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela

Re: Xruns on Mac mini Intel running Ubuntu

Raphaël Doursenaud
Rui Nuno Capela a écrit :
[...]

To get it to run in Gutsy, I also had to change
    #!/bin/sh
    #!/bin/bash
I don't know why ...

Anyway, thanks for the neat script!
after that try or put somewhere in some ubuntu startup script:

  rtirq start

should give you some output otherwise reasons are you're not running a
realtime patched kernel

look for current the irq prioritisation simply by entering

  rtirq status

where you may find your soundcard name listed fairly high and without
guesswork ;)

HTH

Re: Xruns on Mac mini Intel running Ubuntu

CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR
Hi I ran your setup script and made the adjustments to the rtirq file but on
running rtirq status I get the following error:

/usr/sbin/rtirq 58: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Any ideas?

Thanks,

On 8/31/07 3:24 AM, "Rui Nuno Capela" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, August 31, 2007 09:28, CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR wrote:
>> Hi, thanks for replying.
>>

>>> How are you running jack ? have you tried running with -R (realtime)
>>> and set a -p (period) around 1024, then decreasing it ?
>>>

>> Upping the periods to like 4 actually makes the xruns reduce to about
>> once every 1.5 minutes.  I do get lots of delay messages like this though:
>>

> if this is a hda-intel probably it won't work reliably unless you set the
> number of periods/buffer (-n) to 3 no more no less regarless to whether
> you're fitted with a realtime kernel
>
> you should also start with 1024 or even higher number of frames/period
> (-p) then try lowering until you're satisfied; it should be possible to
> get down to -p64 -n3 without xruns but you'll have to tune up other things
> most likely the realtime priority of the irq service thread that deals
> with your sound card
>
> look in /proc/interrupts for the irq number that points to your sound
> module and then try
>
> chrt -f -p 80 `pidof "IRQ-4"`
>
> where 4 is my example irq number and 80 is the realtime (fifo) priority
> for the irq handler thread (boot default is 50 iirc)
>
> then it would be wise to set jackd priority accordingly and below 80 for
> instance 72
>
> ah all this irq stuff can be handled automagically through this rtirq
> script of yours truely :) check it out
>
> http://www.rncbc.org/jack/rtirq-20070101.tar.gz
>
> note that installation is not straight forward on ubuntu/debian though you
> can get away with the following instructions logged in as root:
>
> tar -xf rtirq-20070101.tar.gz
> cd rtirq-20070101
> cp rtirq.sh /usr/sbin/rtirq
> chmod +x /usr/sbin/rtirq
> cp rtirq.conf /etc
>
> finally edit /usr/sbin/rtirq on your beloved editor and change
> RTIRQ_CONFIG=/etc/sysconfig/rtirq
> RTIRQ_CONFIG=/etc/rtirq.conf
>
> after that try or put somewhere in some ubuntu startup script:
>
> rtirq start
>
> should give you some output otherwise reasons are you're not running a
> realtime patched kernel
>
> look for current the irq prioritisation simply by entering
>
> rtirq status
>
> where you may find your soundcard name listed fairly high and without
> guesswork ;)
>
> HTH

Re: Xruns on Mac mini Intel running Ubuntu

CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR
Re: [Jackit-devel] Xruns on Mac mini Intel running Ubuntu Is there an English translation of this?

Also, how might I recompile jack?

Thanks -

On 8/31/07 2:47 AM, "Sébastien THOMAS" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes , it happened to me.
As I said in my previous reply, you have to change line 1 from :
    #!/bin/sh
to :
    #!bin/bash
Cheers
Raphaël Doursenaud

CHRISTOPHER TIGNOR a écrit :
[...]

I'm sorry I copied this as-is without seeing it was french.
Here you go :

apt-get install realtime-lsm realtime-lsm-source module-assistant

start "module-assistant"

you will have a blue menu.
select "update" so you'll have the latest kernel moduls
select "prepare", this will download everything you need for your install, like kernel source or headers, in case you don't have it yet
select "select". There you'll find evenry module you can compile. Go down to "realtime-lsm" and select it then chose ok
select "get" so you check the source for the module are OK
select "build" to build the module. Once done (10 seconds) you'll have the option to install it. Choose "yes".

you are done. Select "back" then "cancel" to exit the menu.

reboot and you should see realtime module loading.
you can also add an option so any user can use realtime. By default only root and members of the group "audio" can do it.

I hope this helped.