anyone ever suffer from certain apps using a lot of memory when using jack as output

anyone ever suffer from certain apps using a lot of memory when using jack as output

Maarten Maathuis
I'll admit i'm no dev, but i have a strange problem that certain applications start using a lot more memory when using jack.

The apps i've encountered so far are xmms2 and aqualung, those are the only ones that can grow out of control. I'm using jack 0.101.1(but i have encountered the problems on 0.100.0 amd 0.100.7) on gentoo 2006.0 (amd64).

I found one compile error message that might be relevant:

unlock.c: In function `cleanup_mlock':
unlock.c:77: warning: unsigned int format, different type arg (arg 3)
unlock.c:77: warning: unsigned int format, different type arg (arg 4)

Anyone ever encounter something like this?

Re: anyone ever suffer from certain apps using a lot of memory when using jack as output

Lee Revell
On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 11:59 +0200, Maarten Maathuis wrote:

> I'll admit i'm no dev, but i have a strange problem that certain
> applications start using a lot more memory when using jack.
>
> The apps i've encountered so far are xmms2 and
> aqualung, those are the only ones that can grow out of control. I'm
> using jack
> 0.101.1(but i have encountered the problems on 0.100.0 amd 0.100.7) on
> gentoo 2006.0 (amd64).
>
> I found one compile error message that might be relevant:
>
> unlock.c: In function `cleanup_mlock':
> unlock.c:77: warning: unsigned int format, different type arg (arg 3)
> unlock.c:77: warning: unsigned int format, different type arg (arg 4)
>

> Anyone ever encounter something like this?

Yes, it's a well known problem.  Bloated apps really eat memory under
JACK due to memory locking.  You can disable it with --no-mlock.

The latest SVN version of JACK has some improvements in this area.

Lee