art_alloc

Addison Leake
Whilst compiling ardour 2.0.2 on Kubuntu feisty 64 i recieved this error:

imageframe_view.cc:(.text+0x11d3): undefined reference to `art_alloc(unsigned long)'
gtk2_ardour/imageframe_view.o: In function `ImageFrameView::ImageFrameView(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, Gnome::Canvas::Group*, ImageFrameTimeAxis*, ImageFrameTimeAxisGroup*, double, Gdk::Color&, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned char*, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int)':
imageframe_view.cc:(.text+0x186b): undefined reference to `art_alloc(unsigned long)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
scons: *** [gtk2_ardour/ardour-2.0.2] Error 1

Fix: in /gtk2_ardour/imageframe_view.cc @ line 85
-unsigned char* the_rgb_data = (unsigned char*) art_alloc(width*height*num_channels) ;
+unsigned char* the_rgb_data = (unsigned char*) malloc(width*height*num_channels) ;

Note: this error was with libart_lgpl (and rest of gtk) from ubuntu repositories and from source.

ps, never posted to a development mailing list before, if this isn't the appropriate place for bug reports/fixes such as this please let me know, thanks.
-Addison

Re: art_alloc

Paul Davis
On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 02:25 -0700, Addison Leake wrote:

> Whilst compiling ardour 2.0.2
> on Kubuntu feisty 64 i recieved this error:
>
> imageframe_view.cc:(.text+0x11d3): undefined reference to
> `art_alloc(unsigned long)'
> gtk2_ardour/imageframe_view.o: In function
> `ImageFrameView::ImageFrameView(std::basic_string<char,
> std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&,
> Gnome::Canvas::Group*, ImageFrameTimeAxis*, ImageFrameTimeAxisGroup*,
> double, Gdk::Color&, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned char*,
> unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned int)':
> imageframe_view.cc:(.text+0x186b): undefined reference to
> `art_alloc(unsigned long)'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> scons: *** [gtk2_ardour/ardour-2.0.2] Error 1
> scons: building terminated because of errors.
>
> Fix: in /gtk2_ardour/imageframe_view.cc @ line 85
> -unsigned char* the_rgb_data = (unsigned char*)
> art_alloc(width*height*num_channels) ;
> +unsigned char* the_rgb_data = (unsigned char*)
> malloc(width*height*num_channels) ;
>
> Note: this error was with libart_lgpl (and rest of gtk) from ubuntu
> repositories and from source.
>
> ps, never posted to a development mailing list before, if this isn't
> the appropriate place for bug reports/fixes such as this please let me
> know, thanks.

absolutely the wrong mailing list. this is an ardour/libart_lgpl problem
and has nothing to do with JACK.

if you search with google for this bug, you will find that it was an
error made over a year ago by some hapless C hacker when modifying the
libart_lgpl headers so that they would on .... Windows. its been fixed
upstream in several distributions. your only solutions are either:

   a) downgrade the version of libart_lgpl to a version more than a year
old
   b) upgrade to the absolute newest version
   c) patch the headers by hand in a source release of libart_lgpl, and
build it yourself