Quantcast

cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10)

Marcos Guglielmetti
Hi Folks

I cant start jack as a normal user (using sudo, it starts...)


 uname -a
Linux musix1.0r4dvd 2.6.26-libre #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Aug 5 09:27:03
EEST 2008 i686 GNU/Linux



/usr/bin/jackd -R -P40 -p128 -t5000 -m -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p256 -n2 -s
jackd 0.109.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for
thread -1210943824, from thread -1210943824] (1: Operation not
permitted)
cannot create engine

Deb package (for Musix / Debian ETCH)
ftp://ftp.ourproject.org/pub/musix/deb/kernel/linux-image-2.6.26-libre_2.6.26-libre-10.00.Custom_i386.deb

Config:
ftp://ftp.ourproject.org/pub/musix/deb/kernel/config-2.6.26-libre

CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_SOFTIRQS=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_HARDIRQS=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU_BOOST=y


Regards

--
Marcos Guglielmetti - www.foros.musix.es | Soporte comunitario


"Los hamsters no pueden volar"

http://es.wikiquote.org/wiki/Los_Simpson_pizarra
--------------------------------------------------------------
www.educarsincadenas.org Activismo, Educación y Software Libre

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10)

Pierre Souchay
Le jeudi 7 août 2008, Marcos Guglielmetti a écrit :
> Hi Folks
Hi,

>
> I cant start jack as a normal user (using sudo, it starts...)

Please edit : /etc/security/limits.conf
and add the lines :
@audio           -       rtprio         99
@audio           -       nice           -10
@audio           -       memlock        512000


(See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jack-audio-connection-kit/+bug/108718 )

Pierre Souchay

>
>
>  uname -a
> Linux musix1.0r4dvd 2.6.26-libre #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Aug 5 09:27:03
> EEST 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
>
>
>
> /usr/bin/jackd -R -P40 -p128 -t5000 -m -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p256 -n2 -s
> jackd 0.109.2
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for
> thread -1210943824, from thread -1210943824] (1: Operation not
> permitted)
> cannot create engine
>
> Deb package (for Musix / Debian ETCH)
> ftp://ftp.ourproject.org/pub/musix/deb/kernel/linux-image-2.6.26-libre_2.6.
>26-libre-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
>
> Config:
> ftp://ftp.ourproject.org/pub/musix/deb/kernel/config-2.6.26-libre
>
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_SOFTIRQS=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_HARDIRQS=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU_BOOST=y
>
>
> Regards


_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10)

Marcos Guglielmetti
El Jueves, 7 de Agosto de 2008 15:24, Pierre Souchay escribió:
 | Le jeudi 7 août 2008, Marcos Guglielmetti a écrit :
 | > Hi Folks
 |
 | Hi,
 |
 | > I cant start jack as a normal user (using sudo, it starts...)
 |
 | Please edit : /etc/security/limits.conf
 | and add the lines :
 | @audio           -       rtprio         99
 | @audio           -       nice           -10
 | @audio           -       memlock        512000
 |

It's just like that (for the last year or so)... so... I dont know

cat /etc/limits.conf | grep audio
#@audio     -    rt_priority   100
#@audio     -    nice      -10
#@audio     -    memlock     4000000
@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock 250000
@audio - nice -10


 |
 | (See
 |
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jack-audio-connection-kit/+bug/108718 )
 |
 | Pierre Souchay
 |

What could it be?

 cat config-2.6.26-libre | grep -i secu | grep -i capa
CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_FILE_CAPABILITIES=y


This kernel works fine with jack as normal user:

cat config-2.6.23-rt1 | grep -i secu | grep -i capa
CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y


Regards

 | >  uname -a
 | > Linux musix1.0r4dvd 2.6.26-libre #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Aug 5
 | > 09:27:03 EEST 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
 | >
 | >
 | >
 | > /usr/bin/jackd -R -P40 -p128 -t5000 -m -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000
 | > -p256 -n2 -s jackd 0.109.2
 | > Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
 | > jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
 | > This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
 | > under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
 | >
 | > JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
 | > cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for
 | > thread -1210943824, from thread -1210943824] (1: Operation not
 | > permitted)
 | > cannot create engine
 | >
 | > Deb package (for Musix / Debian ETCH)
 | > ftp://ftp.ourproject.org/pub/musix/deb/kernel/linux-image-2.6.26
 | >-libre_2.6. 26-libre-10.00.Custom_i386.deb
 | >
 | > Config:
 | > ftp://ftp.ourproject.org/pub/musix/deb/kernel/config-2.6.26-libr
 | >e
 | >
 | > CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y
 | > CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
 | > CONFIG_PREEMPT_SOFTIRQS=y
 | > CONFIG_PREEMPT_HARDIRQS=y
 | > CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y
 | > CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU_BOOST=y
 | >
 | >
 | > Regards

--
Marcos Guglielmetti - www.mastermagazine.info

    *  Primera ley: "Cuando un científico distinguido y anciano dice
que algo es posible,
casi con certeza está en lo correcto. Cuando dice que es imposible,
casi con seguridad está
equivocado."
    * Segunda Ley: "La única forma de encontrar los límites de lo
posible es yendo más allá
de ellos, hacia lo imposible."
    * Tercera Ley: "Una tecnología lo suficientemente avanzada es
indistinguible de la
magia".

Arthur C. Clarke

-----------------------------------------------
Blog personal: www.marcospcmusica.wordpress.com

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [hacked?]

Marcos Guglielmetti
El Jueves, 7 de Agosto de 2008 20:43, Heinz Wiesinger escribió:
 | Marcos Guglielmetti wrote:
 | > El Jueves, 7 de Agosto de 2008 15:24, Pierre Souchay escribió:
 | >  | Le jeudi 7 août 2008, Marcos Guglielmetti a écrit :
 | >  | > Hi Folks
 | >  |
 | >  | Hi,
 | >  |
 | >  | > I cant start jack as a normal user (using sudo, it
 | >  | > starts...)
 | >  |
 | >  | Please edit : /etc/security/limits.conf
 | >  | and add the lines :
 | >  | @audio           -       rtprio         99
 | >  | @audio           -       nice           -10
 | >  | @audio           -       memlock        512000
 | >
 | > It's just like that (for the last year or so)... so... I dont
 | > know
 | >
 | > cat /etc/limits.conf | grep audio
 | > #@audio     -    rt_priority   100
 | > #@audio     -    nice      -10
 | > #@audio     -    memlock     4000000
 | > @audio - rtprio 99
 | > @audio - memlock 250000
 | > @audio - nice -10
 |
 | I had something similar and was totally stuck until I found out I
 | had Realtime-Group-Scheduling set. You can check by
 |
 | zcat /proc/config.gz | grep RT_GROUP_SCHED
 |

Hi

/proc# find -name "*config*"

there is no config.gz at /proc

 | if it is set to "y" then something similar to this may work (at
 | least it did for me), though I do not know what would be the best:
 |
 | echo 475000 > /sys/kernel/uids/0/cpu_rt_runtime

fine

 | echo 475000 > /sys/kernel/uids/500/cpu_rt_runtime
 |

here:

echo 475000 > /sys/kernel/uids/1000/cpu_rt_runtime


Great! now it does:

/usr/bin/jackd -R -P60 -p128 -t5000 -m -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p512 -n2 -s
jackd 0.109.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver ..
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|
soft-mode|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 512 frames (10.7 ms), buffer = 2
periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback


 | where "0" is the uid of root and "500" the uid of the user who
 | should be able to run root.
 |
 | I do not have pam so I can't tell if this is somehow easier
 | possible with that.
 |
 | Grs,
 | Heinz


Well... this solution is a hack... or something like that

Now, I am asking myself: how could we solve this for all the users? We
are developing Musix GNU/Linux, and it must work on any PC...

cat config-2.6.26-libre | grep RT_GROUP_SCHED
CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED=y

We should disable this?

In previous kernels, it does not exists

cat config-2.6.23-rt1 | grep RT_GROUP_SCHED
cat config-2.6.21 | grep RT_GROUP_SCHED


:S


Regards


--
Marcos Guglielmetti - www.foros.musix.es | Soporte comunitario

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Gleducar: Software Libre y Educación en Argentina www.gleducar.org.ar

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10)

Heinz Wiesinger
In reply to this post by Marcos Guglielmetti
Marcos Guglielmetti wrote:

> El Jueves, 7 de Agosto de 2008 15:24, Pierre Souchay escribió:
>  | Le jeudi 7 août 2008, Marcos Guglielmetti a écrit :
>  | > Hi Folks
>  |
>  | Hi,
>  |
>  | > I cant start jack as a normal user (using sudo, it starts...)
>  |
>  | Please edit : /etc/security/limits.conf
>  | and add the lines :
>  | @audio           -       rtprio         99
>  | @audio           -       nice           -10
>  | @audio           -       memlock        512000
>
> It's just like that (for the last year or so)... so... I dont know
>
> cat /etc/limits.conf | grep audio
> #@audio     -    rt_priority   100
> #@audio     -    nice      -10
> #@audio     -    memlock     4000000
> @audio - rtprio 99
> @audio - memlock 250000
> @audio - nice -10
>
I had something similar and was totally stuck until I found out I had
Realtime-Group-Scheduling set. You can check by

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep RT_GROUP_SCHED

if it is set to "y" then something similar to this may work (at least it did
for me), though I do not know what would be the best:

echo 475000 > /sys/kernel/uids/0/cpu_rt_runtime
echo 475000 > /sys/kernel/uids/500/cpu_rt_runtime

where "0" is the uid of root and "500" the uid of the user who should be able
to run root.

I do not have pam so I can't tell if this is somehow easier possible with
that.

Grs,
Heinz

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [hacked?]

Heinz Wiesinger
In reply to this post by Marcos Guglielmetti
Marcos Guglielmetti wrote:

> El Jueves, 7 de Agosto de 2008 20:43, Heinz Wiesinger escribió:
>  | Marcos Guglielmetti wrote:
>  | > El Jueves, 7 de Agosto de 2008 15:24, Pierre Souchay escribió:
>  | >  | Le jeudi 7 août 2008, Marcos Guglielmetti a écrit :
>  | >  | > Hi Folks
>  | >  |
>  | >  | Hi,
>  | >  |
>  | >  | > I cant start jack as a normal user (using sudo, it
>  | >  | > starts...)
>  | >  |
>  | >  | Please edit : /etc/security/limits.conf
>  | >  | and add the lines :
>  | >  | @audio           -       rtprio         99
>  | >  | @audio           -       nice           -10
>  | >  | @audio           -       memlock        512000
>  | >
>  | > It's just like that (for the last year or so)... so... I dont
>  | > know
>  | >
>  | > cat /etc/limits.conf | grep audio
>  | > #@audio     -    rt_priority   100
>  | > #@audio     -    nice      -10
>  | > #@audio     -    memlock     4000000
>  | > @audio - rtprio 99
>  | > @audio - memlock 250000
>  | > @audio - nice -10
>  |
>  | I had something similar and was totally stuck until I found out I
>  | had Realtime-Group-Scheduling set. You can check by
>  |
>  | zcat /proc/config.gz | grep RT_GROUP_SCHED
>
> Hi
>
> /proc# find -name "*config*"
>
> there is no config.gz at /proc
That would be the config of the currently running kernel. There's an option in
the config to make it accessible that way, which is obviously not set.
No drama though.

>  | if it is set to "y" then something similar to this may work (at
>  | least it did for me), though I do not know what would be the best:
>  |
>  | echo 475000 > /sys/kernel/uids/0/cpu_rt_runtime
>
> fine
>
>  | echo 475000 > /sys/kernel/uids/500/cpu_rt_runtime
>
> here:
>
> echo 475000 > /sys/kernel/uids/1000/cpu_rt_runtime
>
>
> Great! now it does:
>
> /usr/bin/jackd -R -P60 -p128 -t5000 -m -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p512 -n2 -s
> jackd 0.109.2
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>
> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
> loading driver ..
> apparent rate = 48000
> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|512|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|
> soft-mode|32bit
> control device hw:0
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 512 frames (10.7 ms), buffer = 2
> periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
>
>  | where "0" is the uid of root and "500" the uid of the user who
>  | should be able to run root.
>  |
>  | I do not have pam so I can't tell if this is somehow easier
>  | possible with that.
>  |
>  | Grs,
>  | Heinz
>
> Well... this solution is a hack... or something like that
>
> Now, I am asking myself: how could we solve this for all the users? We
> are developing Musix GNU/Linux, and it must work on any PC...
>
> cat config-2.6.26-libre | grep RT_GROUP_SCHED
> CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED=y
>
> We should disable this?
>
> In previous kernels, it does not exists
>
> cat config-2.6.23-rt1 | grep RT_GROUP_SCHED
> cat config-2.6.21 | grep RT_GROUP_SCHED
Would be interested in another solution as well.

Grs,
Heinz

_______________________________________________
Jack-Devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.jackaudio.org/listinfo.cgi/jack-devel-jackaudio.org

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Loading...