connections between multiple servers

jonas (Bugzilla)-5
Most clients I have so far (earlier simple_client that I modified,
QJackConnect 0.0.3b and qjackctl: 0.2.14) don't seem to take jack server name
as argument. But looking at the new simple_client.c from
jack-audio-connection-kit 0.100.0, [1], I understand one should be able to
connect to a specific server when several are running.

Is there any support on the server side to connect sound from a port in one
server to a port in another server?

I understand it might be difficult to make connected servers run in sync.
I am not having any particular super-low latency demands on this.

Maybe this is completely a client side task to carry out. mmm I think I know
how I could do it...

[1] jack_client_open (client_name, options, &status, server_name)

Jonas Widarsson

tel: +46 271 152 00 - tel: +46 271 121 42 (hemma/home) - gsm: +46 70 539 64 79
MSN: [hidden email] ICQ: 72016688 jabber: [hidden email]

Re: connections between multiple servers

Paul Davis
On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 19:05 +0200, Jonas Widarsson wrote:

> Most clients I have so far (earlier simple_client that I modified,
> QJackConnect 0.0.3b and qjackctl: 0.2.14) don't seem to take jack server name
> as argument. But looking at the new simple_client.c from
> jack-audio-connection-kit 0.100.0, [1], I understand one should be able to
> connect to a specific server when several are running.
>
> Is there any support on the server side to connect sound from a port in one
> server to a port in another server?
>
> I understand it might be difficult to make connected servers run in sync.
> I am not having any particular super-low latency demands on this.
>
> Maybe this is completely a client side task to carry out. mmm I think I know
> how I could do it...

correct. this is not part of the plan at all as far as jack
infrastructure. most people, in fact, almost everyone, has no reason to
be running multiple JACK servers on a single machine. be aware that you
will need buffering in any connecting client, because the two jackd's
will probably not be running in sync.