heads up: web site moving

Paul Davis
Its gotten too much: sf.net is too slow, and the website is too
antiquated in every way. Despite Fred's kind registration of jackit.org,
i registered jackaudio.org and the plan is to move the JACK website
there within the next few days. A few people on the ardour IRC channel
have sort-of-volunteered to install a CMS (content management system)
such as mambo or drupal to enable more rapid and timely updates to the
website.

Re: heads up: web site moving

Jack O'Quin-2
Paul Davis <[hidden email]> writes:

> Its gotten too much: sf.net is too slow, and the website is too
> antiquated in every way. Despite Fred's kind registration of jackit.org,
> i registered jackaudio.org and the plan is to move the JACK website
> there within the next few days. A few people on the ardour IRC channel
> have sort-of-volunteered to install a CMS (content management system)
> such as mambo or drupal to enable more rapid and timely updates to the
> website.

I like Subversion.  We should use it for the source tree too (post-1.0).

  http://subversion.tigris.org/
--
  joq

Re: heads up: web site moving

Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> (janina@rednote.net)
Paul Davis writes:
> i registered jackaudio.org and the plan is to move the JACK website
> there within the next few days. A few people on the ardour IRC channel
> have sort-of-volunteered to install a CMS (content management system)
> such as mambo or drupal to enable more rapid and timely updates to the
> website.

I trust there is also a commitment to ensure the site will conform to
good web standards, including standards on accessibility (i.e.
http://www.w3.org/wai)? Always best to get these things in up front.

> --p

Janina Sajka Phone: +1.202.494.7040
Partner, Capital Accessibility LLC http://www.CapitalAccessibility.Com
Bringing the Owasys 22C screenless cell phone to the U.S. and Canada. Go to http://www.ScreenlessPhone.Com to learn more.

Chair, Accessibility Workgroup Free Standards Group (FSG)
[hidden email] http://a11y.org

Re: heads up: web site moving

Steve Harris-2
On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:15:20 -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:

> Paul Davis writes:
> > i registered jackaudio.org and the plan is to move the JACK website
> > there within the next few days. A few people on the ardour IRC channel
> > have sort-of-volunteered to install a CMS (content management system)
> > such as mambo or drupal to enable more rapid and timely updates to the
> > website.
>
> I trust there is also a commitment to ensure the site will conform to
> good web standards, including standards on accessibility (i.e.
> http://www.w3.org/wai)? Always best to get these things in up front.

+1, and on that note, can the pages that are obsoleted be replaced with
something like

index.php:
        <?php

        header("Location: http://jackaudio.org/theEquivalentPage");

        ?>

Which is consumer friendly and will speed up google's indexing of the new
pages, and deindexing of the old ones.

And please dont commit the cardinal sin of CMS's of making the root page
forward to http://jackaudio.org/nameOfCMS/?page=index or something equally
silly. Its very anoying to maintain, as people end up bookmarking and
publishing the forwarded URL.

- Steve

Re: heads up: web site moving

Alexandre Prokoudine
On 7/25/05, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> there within the next few days. A few people on the ardour IRC channel
> have sort-of-volunteered to install a CMS (content management system)
> such as mambo or drupal to enable more rapid and timely updates to the
> website.

Mambo is quite nice, but it's a real PITA to add hyperlinks from one
page to another newly created ones (I administrate several web-sites