how to get Audacity to work with jack

eccn
I hope this isn't a RTFM question, but I've been trying to use jack to
route audio to & from Audacity. Unfortunately, Audacity does not appear
on the audio routing patchbay, no matter what sequence I start qjackctl
or Audacity in.

Please can someone point me the way to a solution? I'm using Ubuntu 6.06
LTS (Dapper), qjackctl 0.2.19a, and I can't determine the version of
Audacity just now.

Thanks

Matt

Re: how to get Audacity to work with jack

Jonatan Liljedahl
eccn wrote:
> I hope this isn't a RTFM question, but I've been trying to use jack to
> route audio to & from Audacity. Unfortunately, Audacity does not appear
> on the audio routing patchbay, no matter what sequence I start qjackctl
> or Audacity in.
>
> Please can someone point me the way to a solution? I'm using Ubuntu 6.06
> LTS (Dapper), qjackctl 0.2.19a, and I can't determine the version of
> Audacity just now.

I think you need to use a version of audacity that has new enough
version of portaudio (v19?) to support jack, and if I remember
correctly, all ports you want to use with audacity must already be
registered with jackd before you start audacity... I've tested this with
Audacity 1.3.2.

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]

Re: how to get Audacity to work with jack

Federico Grau-2
On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 08:32:14PM +0100, eccn wrote:
> I hope this isn't a RTFM question, but I've been trying to use jack to
> route audio to & from Audacity. Unfortunately, Audacity does not appear
> on the audio routing patchbay, no matter what sequence I start qjackctl
> or Audacity in.
>
> Please can someone point me the way to a solution? I'm using Ubuntu 6.06
> LTS (Dapper), qjackctl 0.2.19a, and I can't determine the version of
> Audacity just now.

You probably need to update your Audacity.  Ubuntu Dapper shipped with
Audacity 1.2 which uses "portaudio v18" (which did not have jack support).

The new Ubuntu Gutsy ships with Audacity 1.3 which uses "portaudio v19" (which
does have support for jack).  Alternatlively, you could compile 1.3 for dapper
from source.

donfede

--
Federico Grau