jack 1.0, netjack, inprocess clients and source tree structure...

jack 1.0, netjack, inprocess clients and source tree structure...

Marc-Olivier Barre-3
Hi all,

An idea has been running in my head for a while, and I know I'm not
alone there: jack_lsp, jack_load, jack_connect, etc. are not examples
but command line tools for jack whereas jack_simple_client *is* an
example.

I'd like to change the tree to have a tools directory in addition to
the example-clients directory. I can work on that inside a branch if
people would like to see how it would look before we put that in
trunk. comments/approval/disapproval are welcome before I start with
that.

This leads me to this morning's topic number 2: netjack as an inprocess clients.
Netjack as an inprocess client making it look like some sort of plugin
is a great idea in my opinion. eventually, if there's a sufficient
control API for inprocess clients in jack 2.0, these "plugins" will be
very easy to manage using a control app (this would require some form
of inprocess_retrieve_options() call to be created).
As far as 1.0 is concerned, I have 2 issues :
 - the few tests I've run seem to give quite bad results/behavior
(jackd crashes on some case, more xruns in comparison to a former
"classic" netjack setup, etc.)
 - Netjack as an inprocess client takes us too far of the
simple-stupid integration that was planned given the previous issues

So what's the plan ?
What I'm thinking is to integrate netjack *really* as is, and have
netsource, alsa_in and alsa_out go into the newly added tools
directory (and possibly rename alsa_in and alsa_out, since we could
have more explicit names than that), netsource being a plain client
(not in process). This being done, I would run more tests make a few
last fixes, and consider it ready for 1.0

jack_midi, and inprocess client could be kept for 2.0, since using in
process clients would be much easier/user friendly with a good control
API.

Again comments/flames/hatred/approval is welcome.

Cheers,
__________________
Marc-Olivier Barre,
MarcO'Chapeau.

Re: [Jack-Devel] jack 1.0, netjack, inprocess clients and source tree structure...

Oliver Oli-3
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Marc-Olivier Barre
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  This leads me to this morning's topic number 2: netjack as an inprocess clients.
>  Netjack as an inprocess client making it look like some sort of plugin
>  is a great idea in my opinion.

I'm really worried about the potential licensing issues running jack
in process with non GPLed software (which doesn't equal commercial or
close source software, could be an incompatible open source license,
too).

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Oliver Oli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Marc-Olivier Barre
>  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  >  This leads me to this morning's topic number 2: netjack as an inprocess clients.
>  >  Netjack as an inprocess client making it look like some sort of plugin
>  >  is a great idea in my opinion.
>
>  I'm really worried about the potential licensing issues running jack
>  in process with non GPLed software (which doesn't equal commercial or
>  close source software, could be an incompatible open source license,
>  too).

That's a non issue for netjack: it is GPLed. And it's not jack that is
in process, it's the client.

If your comment is about inprocess clients in general, 2 things:
 - This feature has been there for a while, no problems so far ;-)
 - Tt is certainly not the usal recommended method to develop a
client. an inprocess client crash implies a jackd crash (along with
all the other client threads). Clients built this way have to be
carefully checked, very simple, and have a purpose to exist as a jack
"plugin".

Given the second comment, I wouldn't even try to use a commercial
inprocess client unless I have the source at hand and there is freedom
to modify.
__________________
Marc-Olivier Barre,
MarcO'Chapeau.

Re: [Jack-Devel] jack 1.0, netjack, inprocess clients and source tree structure...

Oliver Oli-3
On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Marc-Olivier Barre
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  That's a non issue for netjack: it is GPLed. And it's not jack that is
>  in process, it's the client.

Please pardon my useless comments, I mixed two different things up.
It's a non issue.