jack_lsp & ports

Salvatore De Paolis-3
Hi all,
I'm new to this mailing list and I'm facing to a problem with ports.
I'm using jack from svn and while running jack_lsp, jack_get_ports() returns 12
outputs and 10 inputs while my soundcard (M-Audio Delta 1010LT) as just 10
in/out.
I wonder if could be an alsa related issue so I could try updating alsa.

Regards
Salvatore

Re: jack_lsp & ports

Jussi Laako-2
Hi,

Salvatore De Paolis wrote:
> I'm using jack from svn and while running jack_lsp, jack_get_ports() returns 12
> outputs and 10 inputs while my soundcard (M-Audio Delta 1010LT) as just 10
> in/out.

I assume Delta 1010LT has similar channel setup as Delta 1010. Thus it
has 8 analog inputs + SPDIF in (2 inputs) and 8 analog outputs + SPDIF
out (2 outputs) + monitor mixer output (2 outputs). Monitor mixer output
can be routed to physical interfaces.

BR,

        - Jussi

Re: jack_lsp & ports

Salvatore De Paolis-3
On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 23:32:18 +0200
Jussi Laako <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I assume Delta 1010LT has similar channel setup as Delta 1010. Thus it
> has 8 analog inputs + SPDIF in (2 inputs) and 8 analog outputs + SPDIF
> out (2 outputs) + monitor mixer output (2 outputs). Monitor mixer output
> can be routed to physical interfaces.

Yes, it have to be in this way. But what I notice is that the Hardware Inputs
do not works properly also if the problem is not the number of ports.
I can hear sounds from the balanced inputs (1/2 canon) but the other rca do not
works.
Any hints about how to trace it?

Regards
Salvatore

Re: jack_lsp & ports

John Rigg-3
On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 10:07:45PM +0100, Salvatore De Paolis wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm new to this mailing list and I'm facing to a problem with ports.
> I'm using jack from svn and while running jack_lsp, jack_get_ports() returns 12
> outputs and 10 inputs while my soundcard (M-Audio Delta 1010LT) as just 10
> in/out.
> I wonder if could be an alsa related issue so I could try updating alsa.

The Delta 1010LT uses the ice1712 chip which has 12 inputs and 10 outputs,
regardless of how many physical connections your interface has. This is
correct, so I wouldn't worry about it.

If you really don't like this, you could define a special device
in your .asoundrc, but it's complicated. An example .asoundrc
that could be adapted is at:
http://www.sound-man.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html

That's for multiple ice1712 cards, but it shows how to define separate
input and output devices to cope with the asymmetrical channel count.

John

Re: jack_lsp & ports

John Rigg-3
On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 11:23:54PM +0100, Salvatore De Paolis wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 23:32:18 +0200
> Jussi Laako <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I assume Delta 1010LT has similar channel setup as Delta 1010. Thus it
> > has 8 analog inputs + SPDIF in (2 inputs) and 8 analog outputs + SPDIF
> > out (2 outputs) + monitor mixer output (2 outputs). Monitor mixer output
> > can be routed to physical interfaces.
>
> Yes, it have to be in this way. But what I notice is that the Hardware Inputs
> do not works properly also if the problem is not the number of ports.
> I can hear sounds from the balanced inputs (1/2 canon) but the other rca do not
> works.
> Any hints about how to trace it?

The RCA connectors are S/PDIF input and output are they not?
Try envy24control from alsa-tools if you're not using
it already.

John

Re: jack_lsp & ports

John Rigg-3
On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 10:13:03AM +0000, John Rigg wrote:
> The RCA connectors are S/PDIF input and output are they not?
> Try envy24control from alsa-tools if you're not using
> it already.

I forgot the 1010LT uses RCA connectors for unbalanced
analog in/out. envy24control should allow you to monitor
input and output levels on these to check if they are
working.

John