jack midi api

Alex Krohn
To ian esten (and perhaps others):

Could you please make a patch for the current jack cvs version (0.99.75)
so that it includes the jack api?
The patch you did was for an earlier version of cvs jack (0.99.71
perhaps?),
could you publish that earlier version of jack if you canĀ“t make 0.99.75
work?
Or is there a  way to get a certain jack version via cvs?
I really want to try the jack midi api, are there any other requirements
besides the obvious jack audio connection kit?
Thanks a lot
--
  Alex Krohn

http://www.fastmail.fm - mmm... Fastmail...

Re: jack midi api

Sean Bolton
On Jun 8, 2005, at 8:25 PM, Alex Krohn wrote:
> To ian esten (and perhaps others):
>
> Could you please make a patch for the current jack cvs version
> (0.99.75)
> so that it includes the jack api?

Ian's patch will apply successfully to today's CVS.  For convenience,
though, I made a patch against today's CVS that includes Ian's original
patch and additional files, plus the bug fixes that have surfaced since
then, all in one patch file.

I've also made available a tarball containing alsaseq2jackmidi, and
something new: jack_mididump, a simple console app which reads
MIDI from a JACK port and dumps it as text.

You can find these at:

   http://home.jps.net/~musound/jack-midi.html

> I really want to try the jack midi api, are there any other
> requirements
> besides the obvious jack audio connection kit?

At this point, you'll need some subset of the above, Ian's MIDI I/O
client that he posted 2005/5/31, and a willingness to muck about
in the code  <grin>.

Have fun,

-Sean

Re: jack midi api

Lars Luthman
On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 09:28 -0700, Sean Bolton wrote:
> I've also made available a tarball containing alsaseq2jackmidi, and
> something new: jack_mididump, a simple console app which reads
> MIDI from a JACK port and dumps it as text.
>
> You can find these at:
>
>    http://home.jps.net/~musound/jack-midi.html

I applied this patch to todays CVS, installed it, built jack_mididump
and alsaseq2jackmidi, and connected my keyboard -> alsaseq2jackmidi ->
jack_mididump. There seems to be some problem - events are only printed
correctly if they are the first events of that type (note event, CC,
pitch bend). If I press a series of keys only the first note on events
are printed as note on, and if I move the mod wheel only the first few
events are printed as CC events. Example output:

[ll@c213-100-50-8 jackmiditools]$ jack_mididump
[289 empty periods]
==== new period, 1 events, reported status 01 != expected status 00!
====
    0: e0 00 3f pitch wheel      1    0   63
==== new period, 2 events, reported status 02 != expected status e0!
====
    0: 00 3e????
    0: 00 3d????
==== new period, 3 events, reported status 03 != expected status 02!
====
    0: 00 3c????
    0: 00 3b????
    0: 00 3a????
[1 empty periods]
==== new period, 1 events, reported status 01 != expected status 03!
====
    0: 00 39????
[2 empty periods]
==== new period, 1 events ====
    0: 00 3a????
==== new period, 2 events, reported status 02 != expected status 01!
====
    0: 00 3b????
    0: 00 3c????
==== new period, 4 events, reported status 04 != expected status 02!
====
    0: 00 3d????
    0: 00 3e????
    0: 00 3f????
    0: 00 40????
[195 empty periods]
==== new period, 1 events, reported status 01 != expected status 04!
====
    0: 90 24 4d note on          1   36   77
[4 empty periods]
==== new period, 1 events, reported status 01 != expected status 90!
====
    0: 24 00????
[213 empty periods]
==== new period, 1 events ====
    0: 26 79????
[1 empty periods]
==== new period, 1 events ====
    0: 26 00????
[92 empty periods]
==== new period, 3 events, reported status 03 != expected status 01!
====
    0: b0 01 26 control change   1    1   38
    0:    01 27 control change   1    1   39
    0:    01 28 control change   1    1   40
==== new period, 6 events, reported status 06 != expected status b0!
====
    0: 01 29????
    0: 01 2a????
    0: 01 2b????
    0: 01 2c????
    0: 01 2d????
    0: 01 2e????
==== new period, 4 events, reported status 04 != expected status 06!
====
    0: 01 2f????
    0: 01 30????
    0: 01 31????
    0: 01 32????

What am I missing?

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.d.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php

Re: jack midi api

Sean Bolton
Hi Lars,

On Jun 15, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Lars Luthman wrote:

> [ll@c213-100-50-8 jackmiditools]$ jack_mididump
> [289 empty periods]
> ==== new period, 1 events, reported status 01 != expected status 00!
> ====
>     0: e0 00 3f pitch wheel      1    0   63
> ==== new period, 2 events, reported status 02 != expected status e0!
> ====
>     0: 00 3e????
>     0: 00 3d????
>
> What am I missing?

Lack of bugs, maybe?  I'd seen this before, but it was a bug in the
libjack running status handling, and since there's still some question
about whether JACK should (or even can) support running status
across process cycles, I had never taken the time to track it down.

But I did now.  Grab the 15jun05 patch off my site: